DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there any strobes that will keep the weight under 250g now that the Mini 2 has a few extra grams to play with?

I use flytron strobon cree with velcro i can fit 3 of them under the limit.

For me in Poland going over 250 pushes it into much more restrictive class. Under 250 i can fly near/over people(not gatherings of people), buildings within reason. When pushing it further with weight it jumps to much more restrictive class.

I use flytron strobon cree with velcro i can fit 3 of them under the limit.

For me in Poland going over 250 pushes it into much more restrictive class. Under 250 i can fly near/over people(not gatherings of people), buildings within reason. When pushing it further with weight it jumps to much more restrictive class.
It's more or less the same in all European countries.

Reactions: Mavic 57
flytron strobon cree with velcro
on a wrapped Mini 2 fixed with velcro and still sub 249g weighed on a Royal Mail Postal scales for accuracy

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3362.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Mrveronn
I was simply pointing out how pointless it is to want to add accessories but want to avoid pushing the weight past 250 grams, just to avoid a 5$ fee.
But if it's not about the $5, I can't imagine what the issue might be.
I use the strobon standalone and the much brighter strobon Cree. They are both available from Flytron RC Model & Drone Electronics. I like them because they make it easier to spot the drone even during the daytime in vlos. At dusk, they are even better and also look pretty cool. They weigh in at 4 grams each including the velcro sticky strips I use to attach them. I attach the Cree (brighter) to a front leg and the standalone to the underbelly as here in Australia we don't have to register anything under 2 kilos for rec use (although that is changing). I use them both on every flight as they can also help find the drone if it comes down in long grass, you end up in a tree, or get into a forced landing. Not needed for that very often but when it happens, anything that helps see/find such a small drone is a time and stress-saving godsend. For added security, I put an elastic band around them to hold them in as lost one once when a tree got in the way of my experimenting with one of the autopilot modes in the litchi app. The one occasion I didn't turn it on! Never found it despite looking every day on my walks.

Also, checking photos/videos I can't see any sign of strobe flash. Kind of important if you are a bit of a photo/video perfectionist.

Doesn't add anything to the advice I know, but I am so glad I live in Australia, and currently, our limit is 2Kg, although that is changing (but will be fee-less). So we don't have these discussions about keeping below 250g.

Strobes on my mini at night
Low level flight / climbing

Night flying / no strobe flash on video

Last edited:
Reactions: PJordan
I live in Australia, and currently, our limit is 2Kg, although that is changing (but will be fee-less). So we don't have these discussions about keeping below 250g.
The 2 kg issue is for commercial use without special licensing.
You can fly drones up to 25 kg recreationally before you need special permission.

Does any know how much this Firehouse strobe with the mounting bracket weights? It’s not listed on the website. I like the idea of the mounting bracket since there isn’t much room on the bottom of the mini 2.

Yes it is a little toy, very good and fun to fly its easy to fly and does nearly everything for you just stick to rules and enjoy

i have mini 2 with 2 id labels on each side 2 flytron STROBON Cree® Standalone led's
one held on with Velcro and other with 3d printed holder that i have cut some bits away weighs in at 249g

I tried to order a Flytron strobe today but they are out of stock until the end of the month.

i did read about a strobe from Bangood but found it on eBay from the UK for £10 so figured it was worth a punt

i will see how heavy it makes the Mini and will either use Velcro or will make a 3D printed mount if there is enough spare weight.

I tried to order a Flytron strobe today but they are out of stock until the end of the month.

i did read about a strobe from Bangood but found it on eBay from the UK for £10 so figured it was worth a punt

i will see how heavy it makes the Mini and will either use Velcro or will make a 3D printed mount if there is enough spare weight.
glad i got mine when i did then as you can see ive got rid of fair bit and its still very sturdy20210303_231908.jpg

Where does your mount attach? Is it stirdy? Is there an STL for it available?
See pic for where it attaches yes very sturdy even after I've cut bits off and not sure I brought mine off etsy

Attachments

• il_794xN.2739919934_19ar.jpg
    il_794xN.2739919934_19ar.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 22
See pic for where it attaches yes very sturdy even after I've cut bits off and not sure I brought mine off etsy
Nice.. I will see if I can find the design on Thingiverse and then modify the design in CAD to remove the extra weight..

This is the closest I have found

To be honest, I thought the strobe I bought on eBay was a Cree", but now I looked again, its not.. So I think I will get a Strobeon Cree once they are available.. But for now, the one I bought will do...

Nice.. I will see if I can find the design on Thingiverse and then modify the design in CAD to remove the extra weight..

This is the closest I have found

To be honest, I thought the strobe I bought on eBay was a Cree", but now I looked again, its not.. So I think I will get a Strobeon Cree once they are available.. But for now, the one I bought will do...
Looks a bit like there standalone one. Those cree's are fantastic and very bright.

Wouldn't a strobe light even on during the day be useful to find the drone, if it fell, after dark???

Wouldn't a strobe light even on during the day be useful to find the drone, if it fell, after dark???
It would, as long as the AC fell and came to rest in a way the light wasn't covered. Firehouse makes a LAND module, Lost Aircraft Notification Device. It has a bright white LED and alarm that sounds after the module senses no movement after 4 minutes. I stuck one on the battery door of my Mini 2. 20210202_173341.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
Firehouse dual with miss chrissy mount.

Attachments

• resize_IMG_3262.JPG
    resize_IMG_3262.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 17
Now that I've used it for a dozen or so flights, I'd only fly without my Firehouse 5 if I wanted to avoid detection. It's an absolute godsend.

Reflected strobe light from the ground might affect footage, especially when looking down close to the ground in low light (or over water) in which case, I'd turn it off.

Otherwise it's on before takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore