DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you getting any Christmas goody’s for your drone 2018

What would you do here to improve image, either with ND filter, exposure or in processing? Or the overcast and haze is what it is and photographer can only do so much? The tethered buoys floating in the water are very interesting to study by themselves. The wind and current push them into ever changing patterns. I knew this needed a closer look, maybe a shot from directly overhead...

View attachment 60324
I think ND filters do not help with the continuous cloud cover. ND filters reduce the brightness on the way to the image sensor, making the images darker overall.

If you're flying in very bright environments, "DJI GO" sometimes shows zebra stripes in the live image. These are the overexposed areas, and there will be no or little details visible when viewing the footage later. So I mean to have understood.

I really like such industrial locations, and would like to see more of them. Maybe someday you will fly closer to the industrial view, and make some shots there.

I do not know if your area is allowed to fly close to the industry. Here with us the distance of 100 meters must be generally respected, if a power station or any public building is in the proximity.

But I think it might be worth it to capture some things from a shorter distance.

I think ND filters do not help with the continuous cloud cover. ND filters reduce the brightness on the way to the image sensor, making the images darker overall.

If you're flying in very bright environments, "DJI GO" sometimes shows zebra stripes in the live image. These are the overexposed areas, and there will be no or little details visible when viewing the footage later. So I mean to have understood.

I really like such industrial locations, and would like to see more of them. Maybe someday you will fly closer to the industrial view, and make some shots there.

I do not know if your area is allowed to fly close to the industry. Here with us the distance of 100 meters must be generally respected, if a power station or any public building is in the proximity.

But I think it might be worth it to capture some things from a shorter distance.

I always use the histogram in the go 4 app, works well for me. I have tried the over exposure setting (zebra) but I find it can be distracting, clouds always have zebras on them even when I adjust the camera settings I can reduce them but I find they get in the way of what you can see. That’s my thoughts anyway;) and what do I know... nothing:D

I always use the histogram in the go 4 app, works well for me. I have tried the over exposure setting (zebra) but I find it can be distracting, clouds always have zebras on them even when I adjust the camera settings I can reduce them but I find they get in the way of what you can see. That’s my thoughts anyway;) and what do I know... nothing:D
hi son its called hatching not as in eggs before you ask there are no zebras involved or lions etc

Haha, I meant zebra stripes and not whole zebras. If you see whole zebras or other animals in the clouds that prefer to live on the ground, then that's really not good. Maybe there is too much alcohol in your blood, or you have forgotten to take your most important medication ... ROFL...
Seriously, the histogram is a good tool. But back to this strip view. When zebra stripes are visible, too much light is in those areas, and details are lost. When the camera captures the landscape below, it may not be that dramatic. But if you want to capture a pretty cloud sky, or a snowy landscape in detail on a sunny day, you'll definitely need strong ND filters. The overexposure makes details disappear.

Should I have got it wrong?

Last edited:
I knew what you meant about zebras but couldn’t be bothered to add the stripes after it:D

Zebras is definitely a good idea but not for me, histogram I think is better. Again you can adjust the pic down or up under exposed or over exposed depending on how you want the photo to look.

I dunno I talking sooo much sh...t I don’t know what I’m talking about...:D:p

...I dunno I talking sooo much sh...t I don’t know what I’m talking about...:D:p
Haha, that's why I like being here. I like you all here, and have humor as a constant companion on my right shoulder.

I think I tell a lot of sh * t almost all day long. Anyway, my wife often laughs at my words, sometimes even when I want to be serious.

I think it's kind of a pity that we seem to be few here in this funny thread.

By the way:
I try very hard to understand everything, and to be understandable. It is sometimes difficult for me to grasp all linguistic connections But I have fun and for that I should be grateful.

Haha, that's why I like being here. I like you all here, and have humor as a constant companion on my right shoulder.

I think I tell a lot of sh * t almost all day long. Anyway, my wife often laughs at my words, sometimes even when I want to be serious.

I think it's kind of a pity that we seem to be few here in this funny thread.

By the way:
I try very hard to understand everything, and to be understandable. It is sometimes difficult for me to grasp all linguistic connections But I have fun and for that I should be grateful.

Totally agree with ya, soooooo many times I try to be serious but I just can’t, I’m the same here with my wife and family, nobody takes me serious, I’m known in my family that I’m a p.ss taker but in a nice way;):);)

Totally agree with ya, soooooo many times I try to be serious but I just can’t, I’m the same here with my wife and family, nobody takes me serious, I’m known in my family that I’m a p.ss taker but in a nice way;):);)
The video about histogram was a tough 9 minutes for me. At the moment I do not understand anything anymore, so first something to relax :)

If you hear the sound of hoof beats, think of horses before zebras. But, remember that it could possibly be zebras...

its time to stop horsing around i guess but what the heck this thread is such good fun its great we can all laugh together

My problem is that I do not really trust the zebras to tell me if its too bright. Sometimes I think they just show up because they have nothing better to do than stand in way and clutter screen! Other times I think my prescription sunglasses (which I have to wear to be able to stare up at sky) mess with ipad image and I totally over compensate.

Yes, I should get closer to subject, or invest in a Mavic 2 ZOOM!

..By the way:

Your English is just fine. Thumbswayup From this video, it sounds like German is a very nice language. Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Here ya go, a very quick trip through post with your photo, couldn’t do anything with the sky, to burnt out but it gives you an idea what can be achieved.

Before,
View attachment 60330

And after, remember this was a quick edit;)
View attachment 60329

That is interesting. You can definitely brighten up the colors and crisp it up. Like the cropping. Good food for thought. Thanks. :)

This is a screen capture from a video I took on a true Bluebird day! Note: they folded up my green drone landing pad so I could not land on deck of ship.
View attachment 60450

Looks like that ship had just raised anchor going by the water that’s coming off the front of it. We get a few ships mooring up here next time they do I’ll take more photos of them.;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook