DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you getting any Christmas goody’s for your drone 2018

Very nice! Great subject, music and editing. Especially liked the grand shots and music at 18 secs and 58 secs! The mist adds to it I think. Thumbswayup Id go back regularly throughout year and take some of the same shots to get that time lapse look at the structure (or part of structure) going through the seasons.
Cheers dude ive got a sunset shot already in my head :)

Chip, you taken any photos lately, how you getting on with the filters? I’m now going to try them through the day, think I’ve now exhausted sunrise/set photos so now just normal scenery photos. Might Take a look at panorama shots, tried it before but had no luck.

I am still studying up on filters. Here is photo I took with a circular polarizer facing west into sun through haze caused by big fires in eastern part of state two summers ago. The data:

4.7mm focal length
EXP Time: .0093 or 1/108
Aperture: f/2.2
ISO: 100
EXP Bias: 0.34

I believe one reason to use ND filter is to prevent overexposure of background and underexposure of foreground. So, in this scenario, should I have used an ND filter and if so which one? Can you preserve the golden reflection in foreground while muting the bright white and orange in background with a filter?

Sun2017.jpg

I am still studying up on filters. Here is photo I took with a circular polarizer facing west into sun through haze caused by big fires in eastern part of state two summers ago. The data:

4.7mm focal length

I believe one reason to use ND filter is to prevent overexposure of background and underexposure of foreground. So, in this scenario, should I have used an ND filter and if so which one? Can you preserve the golden reflection in foreground while muting the bright white and orange in background with a filter?

View attachment 64517

Why you asking me all those technical questions....., lmao:D I’m in the same boat as you, ain’t got a clue also......

I do know that the gradient ND filters should balance the foreground/background but putting it into practice is something different.

Oh chip, if only I could answer your question...... no clue;)

I started using the “ev” setting just before taking a photo now to get the exposure right, I don’t know if I’m doing the right things but it’s fun trying;)

4.7mm focal length

View attachment 64517

Chip, I hope you done mind, I had a little play with your photo in Lr. Couldn’t do anything with the sky, to burnt out so I cropped it out, lovely colour on the water though.;)

AD40D465-D417-43D0-B5F5-848BD87527A2.jpeg

OMG are you kidding me? What an awesome place to fly! Thumbswayup You have a lot to work with here as a photographer and great mining story to boot. :) Thanks for sharing that I enjoyed reading up on the history.

View attachment 64514
this was when the park was just opened back in he day all those trees are now much larger

Chip, I hope you done mind, I had a little play with your photo in Lr. Couldn’t do anything with the sky, to burnt out so I cropped it out, lovely colour on the water though.;)

View attachment 64521
Oh, the result would really be enough for me Porky. I do not have to put the original picture aside to see what I like better :)

Why did I buy filters?
Why did I buy so many different filters?
Why do I have filters?
Why do I need filters?
Why...why...why?

...There is Lightroom, and it makes pictures so great. lol

I think I will only orientate myself to the general brightness, and select a suitable ND filter for it :)

And maybe it will be enough to use a fine little digital China gadget for this purpose?

Comfortable thinking and keep calm @mnis :)

Why did I buy filters?
Why did I buy so many different filters?
Why do I have filters?
Why do I need filters?
Why...why...why?

One day mnis I’ll understand all the above questions but at the moment it’s great trying to get my head around how to use them and how to make that photo “pop” using them.

Rome wasn’t built in a day so going by that famous quote, it’s going to take time understanding all the photography terminology.;)

Oh I’ll wait, try, experiment, hopefully it will all come together but the most important thing when trying out a new hobby (photography) is patients, dont give up.

One good thing with this forum and this thread is we can ask so many questions, we’re all in the same boat and hopefully push each other to get results hence why I ask soooo many questions. Some people are quite happy with what they take with no editing which is great but if we can understand the functionality of getting that great shot then “post” won’t play a big part in making the photo pop.

I don’t do videos at the mo but no doubt in the future I will then I’ll be asking questions about that from you guys.

I love my drone flying, have done for the last 4 plus years, wouldn’t say I’m the “expert” pilot but that side of this hobby I totally understand, drone photography..... different ball game;)

Sooo.... you bought ND filters to both allow you to use a slower shutter speed and also potentially capture more movement in your shots. So on extremely bright days you can still choose a shallow depth of field without resorting to a 8000th of a sec shutter speed.

You bought so many because no two shots will ever be the same, have different grades of nd filters will allow you to use the settings you want for the exact shot in any given situation.

Your ND grads will allow you to underexpose half the shot, handy to keep details in the skies or dull water reflection when the sun hits.

Cant remember the last couple of whys.....lol.

Hope this helps..... a bit

Thanks foz I’ve only got the ND grads so will be interesting to see what results I get with daytime shots. I’ve only used them on dusk/dawn shots at the mo.

Its a good way to grab extra detail from the skies without overexposing the shot ;)

Well I’m gonna give it a bloody good go, hopefully this weekend.;)

@fozzzy

I’ve only got the grad ND filters, the other guys have the full range ND filters but they also do videoing;)

Last edited:
My attempt at nailing it..... I’ll try;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
you hit the nail on the head and everywhere else from the looks of it

Looks like a no,no for flying over the next week or so:mad: strong winds/rain heading our way... knew it wouldn’t last:rolleyes:

Oh well, better start doing my other hobby I suppose;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd