DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Arrogance of DJI support

NorthernWild

Reactions
I sent an email to all of the posted email addresses on the DJI website asking about a solution or upgrade to the iframe flicker issue with my Mavic Pro. I clearly stated I had upgraded to the latest firmware and IMU calibrate the unit every time I fly.

They responded with:

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

I understand that you are having a quality issue with your Mavic Pro. I'll do my very best to assist you with your concern.

You can try the following steps to correct the issue:
1. Ensure that Firmware (FW) is up to date.
You can find what version of the FW is installed in the DJI Go App under Settings > General Settings > About. If not yet updated, you can update it via DJI Assistant 2.
Here's the link for you to download: Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads
Here's the link for video tutorial:
LdQp1TYxa37G3r1lCeVlfIw_PNgzagt5MYZuiOLwOUZIZ_XVl_sSkJuQHKAmCeAwpBU-bwaNsVuBpB_lhaARRDpqxBMbzMOmXqIFj57S5SATYBSFY17r6nOL2P289qaB36hIfj7SJdK0uVlME9ZCEp4tpEo=s0-d-e1-ft

qgU6Eki6ZEmd94DPtMhDs1quw6-OlJ7R5pCF9Pi6iiUuCI4cSjJC_jbYKaGR9ez0I6a7KHRSQ5JikgzsTC-uVB28OuJODnWQAaQkShO-8UL4Kb8AWMQDyRTvk4MIAyEMS5xlUe6hoI1zeXplzw06wD0TMA=s0-d-e1-ft

2. Calibrate the IMU in the DJI Go App under Main Controller Settings> Advanced Settings> Sensors> Calibrate IMU
yw9XVjPcCGC09lOHEv7ffuzdD_tcbgVBm8hpb09THPJD9iuHq9xGYzZFomgNytpnZ0-Q5WZ7YrWZWdBdJbyxO4WUxAS1vxq4gEtCf1KyA47wYfIwLnvLUD5OPyFSAmzEvWoczbABps4L8ynG5Jp6lleO_UFO=s0-d-e1-ft

3. Calibrate the Gimbal by going to Gimbal Settings> Gimbal Auto Calibration
DJFft27iOT8DSdZFWXVLV109m7Ew1jN68aeinUyAL7aCpMF8M3G3ybhy9Vr734l9Rl_JPvBGeag-PUl2u5srfLbSCIwUPT5yg2uXvFYj7vGlGfiaQGswPGpsiUcuppnOPcqIMmo2ikLRzKrG6xnVqzbRgg=s0-d-e1-ft

4. Uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 App.
5. Restart the aircraft and remote controller.
6. If the issue persists, we best recommend you to send the unit for diagnostics and repair. Rest assured that once the unit arrives in our facility, your Mavic Pro will be taken care by our respective engineers. You don't have to worry about the shipping because a shipping label will be provided since you are located within North America within 24-48 business hours after a case number is generated. The turn around time for repair for the Mavic Pro is 10 to 15 days upon receiving in our facility.

Should you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact us anytime.

Thank you for contacting DJI.

Warmest Regards,

Belle
DJI Support

Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST)
Email: [email protected]
Online Support: DJI Support - All Products

Acknowledge that he has already completed the first couple of steps that they advised?

What should they have done?

They should read my email. I was very clear on what I had already done. As you know, the issue with the camera is an inherent flaw in the design everyone is suffering from. Neat only masks the issue. There is NO clear solution other than providing a better product.

That response is no different from any other tech support line. No matter how much basic troubleshooting you do, the first page of their response book says 'say this'. They don't actually hear anything you say.

LP
I would have to agree.

I suppose I am used to the actual support I receive from all the other vendors in the film industry like Sony, Arri and even Free Fly. Any issue with my Alta 6 and they are right on it with very specific solutions. Love those guys!

Reactions: Masheen
I would have to agree.

I suppose I am used to the actual support I receive from all the other vendors in the film industry like Sony, Arri and even Free Fly. Any issue with my Alta 6 and they are right on it with very specific solutions. Love those guys!

“Trust but verify” The problem with customers is that they’re not objective and sometimes they omit relevant facts, leave out critical details or outright lie. Support here is just covering the bases like any level 1 engagement. It’s not personal, but they have to triage. They also have to make sure that you didn’t overlook certain things.

Nobody likes getting support that is “read from a script” but, the script has a place in support, even in level 2 or engineering. But the script type support should not be the model.

“Trust but verify” The problem with customers is that they’re not objective and sometimes they omit relevant facts, leave out critical details or outright lie. Support here is just covering the bases like any level 1 engagement. It’s not personal, but they have to triage. They also have to make sure that you didn’t overlook certain things.

Nobody likes getting support that is “read from a script” but, the script has a place in support, even in level 2 or engineering. But the script type support should not be the model.

Yep ^^^. Standard procedure is to cut and paste a boilerplate answer. Make sure you've done everything EXACTLY as they've asked, and reply to their e-mail and you'll be bumped to a Level 2. This is the way customer service works almost everywhere. It's not "arrogance", as frustrating as it feels. They just need to cover their bases and weed out the JRA's*.

*JRA is customer-service-speak for malfunctions - originally coined in the bike industry - that happened out of nowhere while "I was just riding along". It has been widely adopted in CS circles. Another one you may hear applied is "edge-case".

Reactions: Kilrah
My philosophy anyway. This is how tech support works. The first level of support will get a good talking to if they bump without first checking for the simple issues. Sometimes you can do an end run around this, if you convince the person that you really are easy to work with, and have taken care of the easy stuff, and will not get them into trouble.

I have found the last item to be very important. Butter them up. Yes, you should not have to, but these are people you are dealing with, and they are doing a boring, thankless job. So jot their name down (and use it in the conversation), thank them for their help and expertise, don't let on that you know more than they do, and make it clear that you like them, and that you believe they are doing a bang up job, and they will go the extra mile for you and connect you with their higher level techie. This has saved me trouble and gotten the issue resolved any number of times.

Reactions: motard
I have found a method of getting fairly good support from most companies that use to give me the run around.

This may not help with DJI but with other companies in the USA it has. I don't email, I always call. As soon as the person answers and I get their name, lets say it's Jim, I say.

" Jim before I discuss the issues I am having with your product for legal reasons I am letting you know in advance that I am using an app on my phone to record this conversation."

That really gets their attention!

Then I tell them everything I have tried and that I know it's not X and I know its not Y so please tell me something different.

Second thing is that I will not hang up unless they either resolve the issue or let me speak to a supervisor or a higher level tech. No matter how persistent they are that some one from tier two support is going to call me back, I will not hang up, I let them know I will wait it out until they can transfer me. I cannot tell you how many times they have told me its impossible yet I stay on the phone very persistent and after 10 or so minutes they suddenly crack and say something like, "Hold on I am going to try something". A minute later they come back and say hold on sir I am going to transfer you to my supervisor. Once transferred I also give that person the same recorded call intro.

If that person cannot help me I ask for a manager and will not hang up until I get one.

This is where things get interesting. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes of extra hold time but I almost always get to a manager. I give him the same opening speech and in about 90% of the cases I have gotten the issue resolved on the phone, but if the manager tries to tell me he will call me back with a resolution I start to insist that he gives me his direct number just in case I do not hear back from him in a reasonable amount of time.

Half of the time I actually do get a direct number and the other half of the time they tell me it's not possible and stick to their guns. Even in those cases they always call me back within hours with some sort of resolution to the problem.

This system really works well and it's funny how when they have you on hold they will break in every few minutes to make sure your ok with holding. They are very conscious of the fact that the recording may go public. The downside is that it sometimes takes me two hours from start to finish to get to the manager and get a resolution. but its a lot better than making 10 different calls and always starting from the beginning with a new person.

Rob

Last edited:
Bollocks !!

They didnt even acknowledge the issue and have zero ability to fix it, and they know that.

Complain about mav and the result is a lengthy postal round trip with zero result. Repeat this enough and people are hesitant to send away their purchase for no resulting fix.
And you get someones elses repaired pile of rubbish in return.

Snakey, cagey and incompetent come to mind.

Best advice for OP is to sell the bucket of snot and buy a drone that has a real camera dangling from it, because your jacked up iframe is staying.

As others say, you can crawl and grovel all you want in an effort to make them play ball, but they still cant fix it, so that degrading behaviour is useless as well.
Have you taken your own advice yet?

If you don't like the Mavic, and aren't using one, I don't see the point of posting negative stuff about it here/ Who does that benefit? ...

Unless you enjoy being negative, in which case, please, be our guest. That's why we are here.

I attempted to, but this platform with a novice camera is gathering lots of dust now. No takers last time i put it on ebay so im stuck with it for now.

Are you upset that someone criticised the mavic?

Did you take it personally? ;)

Do you have any advice for the OP regarding this challenged camera and the irritating flicker complaint?

Some of my other drones are flown daily where as this thing was last used 2 or 3 months ago. Its a boring ride with a rooted camera and the appeal has long gone.
To the contrary, I'm not upset at all. I've been using an Inspire 1 Pro for a few years now, and honestly these complaints - though legit - are nothing compared to the constant issues with the Inspire, which for a while there was getting firmware upgrades weekly. And as you may know, the upgrade process on that platform is a LOT more work.

I'm no fanboy at all, but DJI is still the best (and now maybe the only) platform out there. I've accepted the big compromises in getting what is essentially a cell phone camera on a drone simply for the luxury of portability and flight time. I'm traveling throughout SE Asia at the moment, and this rig tucks neatly into my camera bag. So far I've had no issues, but I expect it will happen eventually.

I've learned to avoid dealing with DJI directly if at all possible. There are some really great DJI vendors in the USA (ie FlyHighUSA.com) that will help you and advocate for you with DJI. DJI is terrible at customer service, and ordering from their store is a bad joke. But I've learned the hard way, and instead of being angry, I'm just prepared and a little resigned. I may be new to MavicPilots, but had been very active on InspirePilots for a couple years, where there are many more commercial pilots who depend on their drone for their livelihood.

Here on MavicPilots I can help people more than get advice -- more of the people here are just flying for fun, and I'm fine with that. There's a higher degree of pilot error here which is really DJI's fault since they market this thing as practically flying itself. Pilots get into trouble quickly and are mad about it, and rightfully so.

Reactions: SYC12 and mlooss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98