DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asked the Chief of Police

• Thread starter FormerMember06292019_2
  • Start date
Can I get some info on this class please?

Here is a thread on it, location has been confirmed as Acworth Beach, Acworth, Georgia.

I have it nice I guess. Not only do the police here hire me to do street surveillance they ask me who can fly and where.

Reactions: Former Member
In Australia I would never even think to check in with the local cop. If I did, they would be WTF are you seeing us for? Laws are pretty simple. Comply with CASA and check local council regulations about launching from one of their parks. Our cops are state based and don't enforce council rules. The worse you can get from council is a fine.

If we were in the 1970s and I read the OP, I would have thought he lived in the Soviet Union. :)

Reactions: MavicFT1P
In Australia I would never even think to check in with the local cop. If I did, they would be WTF are you seeing us for? Laws are pretty simple. Comply with CASA and check local council regulations about launching from one of their parks. Our cops are state based and don't enforce council rules. The worse you can get from council is a fine.

If we were in the 1970s and I read the OP, I would have thought he lived in the Soviet Union. :)
I have found that with drones, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Also its easier to request permission then ask for forgiveness. Asking for forgiveness is usually before a judge when it comes to police issues!

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

To be clear, I never contact law dispatch for permission to fly. I contact them to keep them in the loop about where and when I am flying in their jurisdiction. Almost invariably they will be contacted by a concerned citizen about my drone activities. Dispatch is then able to tell the citizen that they are aware of my activities and 'all is well' It's much better to have dispatch dispel their concerns than have them confront me as I'm piloting. ;)

To be clear, I never contact law dispatch for permission to fly. I contact them to keep them in the loop about where and when I am flying in their jurisdiction. Almost invariably they will be contacted by a concerned citizen about my drone activities. Dispatch is then able to tell the citizen that they are aware of my activities and 'all is well' It's much better to have dispatch dispel their concerns than have them confront me as I'm piloting. ;)

I ask for permission. Its the polite way to go, even though you might be 100% legal. If the local law enforcement doesnt want you to fly for one reason or another, youre going to lose. You can argue with them, but I have found it easier to understand why they wont let me fly and try to comply with their reasons, and ask them for a workaround. Chapter 1 of "How to win friends and influence people."

I ask for permission. Its the polite way to go, even though you might be 100% legal. If the local law enforcement doesnt want you to fly for one reason or another, youre going to lose. You can argue with them, but I have found it easier to understand why they wont let me fly and try to comply with their reasons, and ask them for a workaround. Chapter 1 of "How to win friends and influence people."

I understand that different jurisdictions may require different approaches. Here, both our county sheriff and police chief understand the FAA is the regulating agency for the national air space. (we're solid Class G here with one non-towered airport), but they both appreciate being kept in the loop. In the past I have had dispatch advise me that an Air Med helicopter was coming into the county. In that case I held off operations until the heli left the area. So there are two way communications. Since then our SAR has established good relations with Air Med so I can call their operations directly to confirm they are not flying in our area. Part of pre-flight now. ;)

Reactions: Thomas B
I understand that different jurisdictions may require different approaches. Here, both our county sheriff and police chief understand the FAA is the regulating agency for the national air space. (we're solid Class G here with one non-towered airport), but they both appreciate being kept in the loop. In the past I have had dispatch advise me that an Air Med helicopter was coming into the county. In that case I held off operations until the heli left the area. So there are two way communications. Since then our SAR has established good relations with Air Med so I can call their operations directly to confirm they are not flying in our area. Part of pre-flight now. ;)

If you are flying in your own neck of the woods, then you probably do know all the local LEO and its easier. Many times, when doing shoots and ops outside where youre from, I find it easy just to drop by or call local LEO and get the lowdown.

Reactions: Thoraldus
Just an observation as a retired LEO in a large metro area. We have, by last count 4+ million residents in the county. I am not sure of the number of city jurisdictions but the largest city is 1.5 million and probably 40 or more city and county jurisdictions make up the rest. You can literally cross a street and be in a different city or county. So, the purpose of this is that going to the local police station is a pretty worthless contact and calling a dispatch center won't get the information to the other 40 or so dispatch centers. If you live in an area where you can go to one location and check, that is great but most in major metro areas cannot and I will tell you that most police officers are way to busy with real crime problems to worry about a person flying a drone, unless of course you are flying in an area you should not be and someone calls. Bottom line, know your state and local laws. That is your responsibility and if an LEO stops by while you are flying, don't argue. Stop what you are doing. If you know you are within your legal rights contact the watch commander and explain that. He/She will make the proper corrections or explain why the officer was out to see you.

I read too many threads where someone was flying, was contacted by the local police and "gave him/her a piece of their mind". Flunking the attitude test right off the bat is not going to help your cause. In most cases the officer is there because he/she was sent there and is doing the job they are paid to do. Try civility. It works wonders with these contacts.

Just an observation as a retired LEO in a large metro area. We have, by last count 4+ million residents in the county. I am not sure of the number of city jurisdictions but the largest city is 1.5 million and probably 40 or more city and county jurisdictions make up the rest. You can literally cross a street and be in a different city or county. So, the purpose of this is that going to the local police station is a pretty worthless contact and calling a dispatch center won't get the information to the other 40 or so dispatch centers. If you live in an area where you can go to one location and check, that is great but most in major metro areas cannot and I will tell you that most police officers are way to busy with real crime problems to worry about a person flying a drone, unless of course you are flying in an area you should not be and someone calls. Bottom line, know your state and local laws. That is your responsibility and if an LEO stops by while you are flying, don't argue. Stop what you are doing. If you know you are within your legal rights contact the watch commander and explain that. He/She will make the proper corrections or explain why the officer was out to see you.

I read too many threads where someone was flying, was contacted by the local police and "gave him/her a piece of their mind". Flunking the attitude test right off the bat is not going to help your cause. In most cases the officer is there because he/she was sent there and is doing the job they are paid to do. Try civility. It works wonders with these contacts.

I find it important to get permission from the takeoff jurisdiction anyway, even if there is a different jurisdiction across the street. As you said, in a big city, you probably shouldnt be flying at all, so its a moot point most of the time.

I agree that if stopped or approached by LEO, dont argue. Even if youre right, they are there and telling you not to fly. You can argue the fine points later after you have landed. Well, maybe not argue, a discussion would be better since he would be armed. ;)

I did not say nor did I insinuate that you should not be flying in a "big city". I do, as does one of my LEO sons-in-law.

My point with the multiple jurisdiction thought was that if you call the non-emergency number of one of the police departments with numerous substations, the dispatcher/call taker is very likely not going to relay that to the beat officer/s. I don't want to say they do not care, but this is not a priority when you are dealing with hundreds of thousands of calls for service a month. There are so many calls for service going out to officers that non-priority calls (like a drone flying around a park) might take an hour to get an officer out to it. A simple burglary report can take 45 minutes or more to get someone there. This problem, is just not high in the, need a cop now, world.

And, even if the call taker sends the call to a dispatcher and the dispatcher sends the info out via computer to the beat officer, the beat officer might be busy on another call when someone calls about you flying the drone and a different officer is sent out. In a one or two officer per shift jurisdiction, calling in works. With 1000 officers on one shift, not so much. I am not trying to be negative but to point out the practicality of calling the local police department in larger areas.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I have found that with drones, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Also its easier to request permission then ask for forgiveness. Asking for forgiveness is usually before a judge when it comes to police issues!

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Travel Down Under for some fresh air, clear skies and simple hassle-free drone flying. ;) The only "harassment" I have had is people wanting to know more about them. I'm sure there are haters but unless you were hovering a few feet outside their window, I couldn't imagine them calling the police.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
Travel Down Under for some fresh air, clear skies and simple hassle-free drone flying. ;) The only "harassment" I have had is people wanting to know more about them. I'm sure there are haters but unless you were hovering a few feet outside their window, I couldn't imagine them calling the police.

Thunder Down Under. I like the way that sounds.

LEO’s are people similar to the rest of us. They don’t look for the good guys, they look for the bad guys. If you provide the bad, they will find you.
Pretty simple choice on which side of the fence you choose to follow, and who will be following you. We just need to make the right decisions with this hobby.

..+1

The Police are not your enemy mate, but they are also not your "friends".
They dont have a list like Santa Claus about who's been naughty and nice.

Police are highly motivated, goal oriented, hard working individuals with serious
problems to deal with. If you email/phone them, where there is no need for action
on their part, you are Wasting there time!

Sometimes i wonder just how old people are on this forum, or how small the town they live is.
One things I dont wonder about is the color of their skin.

Edit: Having almost had a Leo Brother in Law, I can tell you their is mild repulsion on their behalf
for individuals who suck up, or as i mentioned waste their time.

Last edited:
I have attended the DSAR training in Mentone and will also attend the next one near Atlanta. I also was one of the pilots that helped in the Bankhead National Forest SAR earlier this month. I’m new to this forum but you’d probably recognize me in person. We met in Mentone.

I remember you. Glad you're planning on coming to the training in June. You guys did a great job in the Bankhead Forest in a very tough environment; the family was SO appreciative of your efforts. Thanks.

BTW, based on my recent experience training a SWAT team with their new drone, the Board of DSAR expanded our mission statement to include no-cost training for Law Enforcement on Law Enforcement drones. From our web site: "While SAR is our primary mission, we also offer Law Enforcement no-cost training on effective tactical employment of LE drones." We also recently received 501(c)(3) non-profit status.

Last edited:
Is it too later to atrend training in Atlanta? I thought I'd getting an email about it. I have been very busy and haven't been on the forum over the last 4 or 5 weeks. The link sayd it is no longer taking applications. Pleased advise

thof

That's OK with me so maybe i can get in the loop for the resked. Cheered is and thank for the update

I remember you. Glad you're planning on coming to the training in June. You guys did a great job in the Bankhead Forest in a very tough environment; the family was SO appreciative of your efforts. Thanks.

BTW, based on my recent experience training a SWAT team with their new drone, the Board of DSAR expanded our mission statement to include no-cost training for Law Enforcement on Law Enforcement drones. From our web site: "While SAR is our primary mission, we also offer Law Enforcement no-cost training on effective tactical employment of LE drones." We also recently received 501(c)(3) non-profit status.

I like the way you worded that first sentence :cool:
Surely Police/Gummint have their own Special Drones by now circling above us all?
Was it a DJI drone? like an Enterprise for crowd control maybe or
a Mavic air used for breach and clear scenarios, or both. Im curious.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak