DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asteroid Mode

felas

Reactions
I could not figure out how to change the direction of video generated by this mode. I used to have video that started from below then ended with the mini planet. Yesterday when tried again using this mode, the video generated backward which is mini planet then down to below.

Is it the way this mode is supposed to be after the last firmware update ? or is there a way to change the direction ?

• Wow
Reactions: Lespaxvera
I don't know, but my first attempt at an Asteroid shot seems to have failed. It was my first flight outdoors with the Mavic Air, but I have experience with other DJI drones (obviously, none of them have the Asteroid feature yet).

Anyway, when I attempted an Asteroid, I started with the drone facing me a short distance away and not very high. There was a countdown and then the Air fly away and higher until it reached just over 100 feet. At that point, I saw it taking a series of shots from different angles, and then it flew back down to about where it started and stopped. So I thought it was successful. However, when I look at my sd card, there is just a 5 SECOND video of it starting by me and then zooming out to the distance of 100 feet. There is no planet or other footage, so it's basically just a 5 second video of it zooming away. Am i missing something? Does it actually record photos up there or just a series of videos in different directions, and how does it stitch it all together?

SO basically, it looks like it did not complete the panorama part of the asteroid feature. I saw it taking the series of shots up there, but evidently they did not record because there are no photos or other videos on the card or internal storage. Just the standard video of it flying backward up to the point where it started taking the pano. Not sure what I did wrong, or if it just failed..

I’ve done a number of Asteroid shots with my Air. So when you get into the quickshots mode and draw your square around you as the subject and then tap on the square to launch, watch the percentage meter below the record button on the right side of your screen. It’s fully automatic so I’m wondering if you’re hitting something before that meter shows 100%. It’s worked every time for me.

And as people say, make sure all of your components are on the latest firmware.

I’ve done a number of Asteroid shots with my Air. So when you get into the quickshots mode and draw your square around you as the subject and then tap on the square to launch, watch the percentage meter below the record button on the right side of your screen. It’s fully automatic so I’m wondering if you’re hitting something before that meter shows 100%. It’s worked every time for me.

And as people say, make sure all of your components are on the latest firmware.

Thanks, I did see the percentage complete, but it could be that I pre-maturing stopped it before it was entirely done. When it flies back down to you, does it take a little bit longer for it to complete or does it finish right away when it arrives back at the start point?

Reactions: Airborne2182
Here’s one variable...is your SD card fast enough? If the card isn’t fast enough to write the data, I could see that being a failure point. I believe Asteroid is recorded in 1080p/30 though so it’s not too data intensive but if you have a slow card, I can see that being an issue.

If that card IS fast enough, then how fast the Asteroid shot gets stitched may depend on what you are doing after the Asteroid shot. My thinking is that if you go into record mode again right after and start flying, it may postpone creation of the Asteroid file to focus resources on actual flying. Then it can do the Asteroid data processing later when it doesn’t need to focus on GPS, RTH, etc. I could be wrong but that kind of makes sense.

When I’ve done my Asteroid shots, I don’t touch anything until the drone returns to its original starting position. I also have not checked my recorded files through the app though...I plug the drone into my Mac and just transfer files after I’m all done flying and it’s been there each time.

Thanks for the reply. My SD card is fast enough, and it worked fine for a couple indoor flights in 4k. I think I may have prematurely stopped it before it was done, although it definitely came back to the start point before I did that. I also saw it take the pano shots. Does it save these separately as photos or another video, or does it just stitch everything together as one fine when it’s all done? The only file created during this whole process on the SD card was a 5 second video of it going up from the start point to the 100 ft spot. Nothing from when it started taking the pano or flying back down.

For the pano shots, you have the option of keeping the individual files and that’s an option in the pano settings. I just allow it to be stitched for now.

Mi
I don't know, but my first attempt at an Asteroid shot seems to have failed. It was my first flight outdoors with the Mavic Air, but I have experience with other DJI drones (obviously, none of them have the Asteroid feature yet).

Anyway, when I attempted an Asteroid, I started with the drone facing me a short distance away and not very high. There was a countdown and then the Air fly away and higher until it reached just over 100 feet. At that point, I saw it taking a series of shots from different angles, and then it flew back down to about where it started and stopped. So I thought it was successful. However, when I look at my sd card, there is just a 5 SECOND video of it starting by me and then zooming out to the distance of 100 feet. There is no planet or other footage, so it's basically just a 5 second video of it zooming away. Am i missing something? Does it actually record photos up there or just a series of videos in different directions, and how does it stitch it all together?

SO basically, it looks like it did not complete the panorama part of the asteroid feature. I saw it taking the series of shots up there, but evidently they did not record because there are no photos or other videos on the card or internal storage. Just the standard video of it flying backward up to the point where it started taking the pano. Not sure what I did wrong, or if it just failed..

mine is doing the same thing today. I took an asteroid yesterday and it worked perfectly. I’ve since updated the firmware and controller and now it just records the first 5 seconds and hasn’t saved any other pictures or stitched it together... I’m not sure what has changed or is wrong.

Reactions: Travisimo
mine is doing the same thing today. I took an asteroid yesterday and it worked perfectly. I’ve since updated the firmware and controller and now it just records the first 5 seconds and hasn’t saved any other pictures or stitched it together... I’m not sure what has changed or is wrong.

Well, I looked over my flight log and it shows “quickshot interrupted” at the end of the asteroid when it flew back to the start point. I don’t remember doing anything to interrupt, so I’m not sure if it was something I did or a glitch in the app/firmware. Anxious to try another asteroid but not able to yet.

Reactions: Verizondrone28
Just following up to say that I tried another Asteroid quickshot today and it was successful this time. I’m thinking I must have prematurely stopped it the last time before it could stitch the pano to the video.

I wish the app let you control things for the asteroid like the speed, length, height, etc. I like the mode, but I think the 10 second clip it makes is a bit too quick.

Reactions: Verizondrone28
I tested all the quickshot modes and just had trouble with the asteroid just like above. I used the Dji Go app to transfer videos from the drone to my iphone.. initially i thought i wasnt getting the asteroid video at all. But after reading above, i do have a vid that just flies up 100ft n thats about it. So it doesnt actually do the asteroid thingy. And i did make sure its done 100% before pressing anything on the remote.. and i am using the high speed SD card for drones..

Should I try connecting the SD card to the PC ? Not sure if that will get me my asteroid video

I could not figure out how to change the direction of video generated by this mode. I used to have video that started from below then ended with the mini planet. Yesterday when tried again using this mode, the video generated backward which is mini planet then down to below.

Is it the way this mode is supposed to be after the last firmware update ? or is there a way to change the direction ?
After you have let it process for the first time (or later if you change your mind), hit the Edit tool in the bottom right hand side.At the top of the screen will be choices for the Enhancement Filter, HD, and the Reverse direction button. Just touch to change directions, and then hit the Green Check box to save like that. The Thumbnail should now be of the closeup clip instead of the tiny planet. You can then export and save.

@DJISUPPORT btw These choices in EDIT Mode (Enhance, HD, and Reverse) are almost impossible to see on an iPhoneX in Portrait mode. You have to know they are there, or rotate phone to landscape.

Reactions: Travisimo
After you have let it process for the first time (or later if you change your mind), hit the Edit tool in the bottom right hand side.At the top of the screen will be choices for the Enhancement Filter, HD, and the Reverse direction button. Just touch to change directions, and then hit the Green Check box to save like that. The Thumbnail should now be of the closeup clip instead of the tiny planet. You can then export and save.

@DJISUPPORT btw These choices in EDIT Mode (Enhance, HD, and Reverse) are almost impossible to see on an iPhoneX in Portrait mode. You have to know they are there, or rotate phone to landscape.

The asteroid vid doesn't show up on the app firstly. All other quickshots are viewable and downloadable via the app.. how do I get the asteroid vid from the app directly to start with ?

GO4>Editor>Album>Videos .... Should be in the video tray. When you click on it the first time, it sometimes takes a few seconds to create and pop up on the screen. Then you should have all the regular options, including the Edit. After it is has been processed, the Download button gives you two options: processed and unprocessed. Either will say Saved (processed creates again then saves). Saving it as processed will place it in your phone's Camera Roll too -- outside of Go4. I believe, but not sure, the saving unprocessed puts the originals in your Go4 roll, but will have to check.

btw I am on iOS, iPhoneX

I was able to do that and the edited version was in the “Album” in the DJIGo editor. When I tried to move it into my photos in the camera in IOS (processed files), by hitting the downward arrow above a tray in the lower left corner, generating quick shot appeared on the screen. With a rotating square and that was it. It kept going and I had to exit DJIGo 4 to get out of the quick shot generation. Any suggestions?

GO4>Editor>Album>Videos .... Should be in the video tray. When you click on it the first time, it sometimes takes a few seconds to create and pop up on the screen. Then you should have all the regular options, including the Edit. After it is has been processed, the Download button gives you two options: processed and unprocessed. Either will say Saved (processed creates again then saves). Saving it as processed will place it in your phone's Camera Roll too -- outside of Go4. I believe, but not sure, the saving unprocessed puts the originals in your Go4 roll, but will have to check.

btw I am on iOS, iPhoneX
Tried saving Processed files after editing (reversing video and adding music) and all I got was stuck in “creating quick shot” with a continuously rotating square that wouldn’t stop. Exited app and did the same editing but chose “save unprocessed files” and it did transfer to the camera roll on the mobile device (IPad). Just no music. Not sure what’s up.

This is really odd, as the processed files save with the music on mine with no problems. Have you tried a different device to see if you have the same problems?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe