DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Astonishing and scary data collection by DJI

Sorry guys,
I know the issue is not a joke but I cannot avoid laughing reading this thread as I remember this:
Clip - Drones are spooky - SouthPark-online.nl
That SouthPark is incredibly funny doesn't mean that it wouldn't be totally serious in addressing very serious problems in our society. Of which a lot of us don't even dare to talk about in public.
I LOVE SouthPark for that!

I was severely ridiculed 2.5 years ago, when I addressed the very issues discussed right now, on 'a forum' by the many DJI fanboys. The words tinfoil hat were all over the place and I was just making up another conspiracy. The thing is that the younger generations don't give a ... what anyone does with their data. As long as they can use 5$ apps for free they are happy. If I extrapolate the developments of the connected world over the recent years to, say 10 years from now, I get worried.

That SouthPark is incredibly funny doesn't mean that it wouldn't be totally serious in addressing very serious problems in our society. Of which a lot of us don't even dare to talk about in public.
I LOVE SouthPark for that!

I was severely ridiculed 2.5 years ago, when I addressed the very issues discussed right now, on 'a forum' by the many DJI fanboys. The words tinfoil hat were all over the place and I was just making up another conspiracy. The thing is that the younger generations don't give a ... what anyone does with their data. As long as they can use 5$ apps for free they are happy. If I extrapolate the developments of the connected world over the recent years to, say 10 years from now, I get worried.

I can imagine what it must have been like 2.5 years ago. You were trying to tell the people the world was round when they thought it was flat:D

Rob

I don't know that they necessarily found anything beyond what our friends have found, the fed has a bad habit of overclassifying information. Can't rule it out though. "Other guys do it" has never been an acceptable defences of this kind of behavior and deception. I'm very grateful that a few people in the community have taken the time to make the Mavic usable for those of us who do take exception to the theft and distribution of our personal information and digital profile.

Reactions: Robbyg
Interesting article about Army's reaction to drone use by military personnel.

One quote from the article: “There was no evidence whatsoever of any attempt by any software to transfer any data from the aircraft.”

A government study found DJI drone, banned by US Army, kept data safe

At the last of the report, it stated, what does it mean??
Ed Dumas, a computer programmer at NOAA and one of the authors of the study, confirmed to The Verge that their tests on the S-1000 found it wasn’t sending any unusual traffic back to DJI. He did say, however, that he ran similar tests on his personal unit, a Phantom 3 professional, during his spare time. His software found that unit was sending encrypted data back to DJI and servers whose location he could not determine.

Update August 7th, 3:10PM ET: This article originally stated that NOAA’s study relied on DJI’s native remote and iOS app. In fact, the test used a third-party remote and independent ground station. The story had been updated to reflect these facts.

Interesting article about Army's reaction to drone use by military personnel.

One quote from the article: “There was no evidence whatsoever of any attempt by any software to transfer any data from the aircraft.”

A government study found DJI drone, banned by US Army, kept data safe

Well to add to What HKFever already said the whole story is mute because the author states the tests on the S-1000 were done in Oct 2016. DJI GO4 was probably not even around in Oct 2016.

Rob

At the last of the report, it stated, what does it mean??
Ed Dumas, a computer programmer at NOAA and one of the authors of the study, confirmed to The Verge that their tests on the S-1000 found it wasn’t sending any unusual traffic back to DJI. He did say, however, that he ran similar tests on his personal unit, a Phantom 3 professional, during his spare time. His software found that unit was sending encrypted data back to DJI and servers whose location he could not determine.

Update August 7th, 3:10PM ET: This article originally stated that NOAA’s study relied on DJI’s native remote and iOS app. In fact, the test used a third-party remote and independent ground station. The story had been updated to reflect these facts.
Well to add to What HKFever already said the whole story is mute because the author states the tests on the S-1000 were done in Oct 2016. DJI GO4 was probably not even around in Oct 2016.

Rob

Rob

You know it really looks like the Army has no clue what's going on after reading yet another interesting article. Of course this might be called another MOOT point.

US Army walks back DJI decision (slightly) - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

You know it really looks like the Army has no clue what's going on after reading yet another interesting article. Of course this might be called another MOOT point.

US Army walks back DJI decision (slightly) - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

Yeah the point is MOOT in the short term since they are only asking DJI to make a driver to interface it to ATAK and since OPSEC has been bought into the picture for testing it is clear that the Military feels pretty certain the data collection is being done for the Chinese military. This kind of testing could take several months if not years before someone is going to sign off on this.

LOL

China Drone Maker Steps Up Security After U.S. Army Ban

So I guess DJI has finally woken up.

"The privately held Shenzhen-based company is speeding deployment of a system that allows users to disconnect from the internet during flights, making it impossible for flight logs, photos or videos to reach DJI's computer servers."

Rob

Reactions: cplmac and Blades
LOL

China Drone Maker Steps Up Security After U.S. Army Ban

So I guess DJI has finally woken up.

"The privately held Shenzhen-based company is speeding deployment of a system that allows users to disconnect from the internet during flights, making it impossible for flight logs, photos or videos to reach DJI's computer servers."

Rob
Yeah LOL. Said it had been in the works for a while. I don't think it was like they woke up suddenly.

Yeah LOL. Said it had been in the works for a while. I don't think it was like they woke up suddenly.

And yet before the Army Ban they kept on adding more and more spyware! I guess this was a prelude to the ultimate plan which was to remove what they had put in:rolleyes:.

Yeah I guess you're right about an industry leading international company making billions manufacturing and marketing drones that is risking it all to steal your data flying your drone over your neighborhood.

Reactions: Blades
Yeah I guess you're right about an industry leading international company making billions manufacturing and marketing drones that is risking it all to steal your data flying your drone over your neighborhood.

What do you work for DJI?
At first we all suspected it was happening based on data traffic, but some refused to believe it. Then the Hacking group decrypted their code and saw it was true and to what extent they are doing it. Later the US Army has come out and confirmed again what the hacking community told us. Now DJI themselves have sent out a letter stating that they are taking your data your photos and your videos and they plan on stopping it soon:D

How Daft can you be? What more would it take to prove to you that DJI is skimming off all your data and sending it to their servers in China? They have admitted it themselves in that last letter:confused:

You can look at each version of the App and see an increasing amount of intrusion. This is not a guess it's a fact.

Wonder what they do with Gazillions of photos and videos? Bet that is some HUGE computer data file! Can you give us an example of each App getting more intrusive? I see more features but not intrusion. The US Army is the only one saying anything and they've backed off some. I wonder why the FBI, Marines, Air Force, Navy, US Coast Guard etc and on and on are not saying a thing.

You seem to have this obsession with DJI but what about your iPhone / Android, computer (here), smart TV / refrigerator etc, even a robot vacuum cleaner??? Are you as concerned about all the information / data they are collecting? That last letter was just to ease the paranoid Army that was probably speculating like you are doing now. The only thing the letter said to me was "hey we're going to assure you that we're not collecting data" not admitting anything. You haven't produced any proof of anything that I see.

How PARANOID can you be?

Excuse me but I'm going to buy more stock in Reynolds Aluminum.

How PARANOID can you be?

Excuse me but I'm going to buy more stock in Reynolds Aluminum.

Do you even understand what the word Paranoid means? With all the proof you still think its paranoia?o_O

Satellite maps are built by several satellites taking millions of photos and someone stitching them together. You can do the same thing with hundreds of thousands of drones sending in pictures.
Even better when it's commercial drones taking pictures of power plants and bridges from angles that cannot be obtained from space based cameras. Sure its not a complete picture but its Intel that's gathered for free.

If your Aluminum foil purchase falls through let me know, I have a friend with some land in northern Florida that you might be interested in buying. You seem like the kind of buyer he's been looking for.:D

Reactions: Mavic
Do you even understand what the word Paranoid means? With all the proof you still think its paranoia?o_O

Satellite maps are built by several satellites taking millions of photos and someone stitching them together. You can do the same thing with hundreds of thousands of drones sending in pictures.
Even better when it's commercial drones taking pictures of power plants and bridges from angles that cannot be obtained from space based cameras. Sure its not a complete picture but its Intel that's gathered for free.

If your Aluminum foil purchase falls through let me know, I have a friend with some land in northern Florida that you might be interested in buying. You seem like the kind of buyer he's been looking for.:D

You've got to be kidding rambling on about pictures taken by hobbyists drones and even 107 fliers and DJI is gathering that for Chinese intelligence? Too funny! I figured you would not have any of this proof you talk about. Yeah DJI is making millions and millions selling us drones to gather intel. The drones are just a sideline. They're only interested in our pictures and the angles they can get from us.

And on top of that you've got to be psychic knowing what kind of land I would like to buy.

You've got to be kidding rambling on about pictures taken by hobbyists drones and even 107 fliers and DJI is gathering that for Chinese intelligence? Too funny! I figured you would not have any of this proof you talk about. Yeah DJI is making millions and millions selling us drones to gather intel. The drones are just a sideline. They're only interested in our pictures and the angles they can get from us.

And on top of that you've got to be psychic knowing what kind of land I would like to buy.

I assume English is not your first language, so I am pretty much wasting my time.
Have a good day.

And I assume by that response you have nothing to back up all your big talk about DJI spying so you resort to insults. I guess we just have to take your word. Yeah you've been wasting everyone's time on this thread. And you have a good night.

BTW English must not be your first language either Mr "Mute".

And I assume by that response you have nothing to back up all your big talk about DJI spying so you resort to insults. I guess we just have to take your word. Yeah you've been wasting everyone's time on this thread. And you have a good night.

BTW English must not be your first language either Mr "Mute".
This, ladies and gentlemen, is THE definition of a mindless drone who is incapable of independent thought or critical thinking. 90% sure this person doesn't own any DJI products. I could be wrong, though, because DJI has just intercepted a photo of this troll taken by what could be a prototype DJI Mavic 2. This image was extracted from the poorly encrypted DJI stream and I can 100% confirm that it matches his DJI profile. Here he is, our keyboard warrior hero.

latest

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose