DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Astonishing and scary data collection by DJI

Dream and read alot about them work arounds

No need to get all upset, I just forgot about that part.
I use firmware .400 and the app is Go4 4.04 ios.
My iphone 6plus has no sim chip in it and I not only have it in airplane mode but I also removed the Wifi passwords in case I accidentally take it out of airplane mode. DJI cannot talk to my drone and I cannot talk to them. I just turn it on and it flies. No NFZ crap to deal with or second guessing if it will fly or not. Heck it even spun up the props 300 yards from a major airport.

And yes there are a lot of grey areas but we are not allowed to talk about them on this forum.

Being married a long time does not make one an expert on relationships. I have been married nearly as long as you. I was confused that you thought it was surprising that she would not trust him. Most women never trust men when other women from a mans past are in the equation.

Rob

Robbie?? I never said being married made me an expert. You are assuming like you said I was about your friend must've had nudes on FB!

My wife has never had a problem with any woman in my past or me any old boyfriend in her past. That's called not being insecure. That's what a healthy relationship is based on.

I've never had a desire to fly my Mavic close to an airport. I think that behavior is very counterproductive to the hobby. It's what brings negative attention to drone pilots.

I've never had a problem flying my Mavic and never had any problems with NFZ's. I would hate to think I had to live such a paranoid life worrying about not opening my phone up online. Wow. Keep living your life in airplane mode and keep buying plenty of aluminum foil. Yes I'll let this conversation end and get back to drones.

I've never had a problem flying my Mavic and never had any problems with NFZ's. I would hate to think I had to live such a paranoid life worrying about not opening my phone up online. Wow. Keep living your life in airplane mode and keep buying plenty of aluminum foil. Yes I'll let this conversation end and get back to drones.

Who said anything about flying near an airport? I said I started it up to see if it would start and it did.
Its because you have never had an NFZ problem why you don't think its an issue. When I am traveling to certain parts of the USA it seems like everywhere I go is an NFZ. Yep I will keep my phone in airplane mode so that I know that when I travel my drone will always fly and if I need to go into ATTI mode I can use the foil from my hat.

Last edited:
The hacker guys have been finding a lot of stuff like that happening. I honestly have not been following it in too much technical depth because I use a dedicated device that is always in airplane mode. If you really want to know more you have to locate one of the other sites and talk to the right people.

Rob
Yeah, sadly I don't have separate device that could be offline and dedicated solely to the Mavic. So I have to find other ways of separating Go app from DJI network to prevent data uploads. Will go have a look around.

Yes robbyg and I listened 4 months ago. Good thing I did because I don't have computer so a work around would be a pain, now I just fly with no worry.[emoji41][emoji23]
Sadly I did not, gave DJI too much credit. Now I'm at fw .900 and app 4.1.3 firewalled to insane levels and still don't feel too sure that I didn't miss anything.

Yeah, sadly I don't have separate device that could be offline and dedicated solely to the Mavic. So I have to find other ways of separating Go app from DJI network to prevent data uploads. Will go have a look around.

I feel your pain.
In another month the prices on iPhone 6 pluses should be real low. You might want to look around a few weeks before the 8 comes out.

Sadly I did not, gave DJI too much credit. Now I'm at fw .900 and app 4.1.3 firewalled to insane levels and still don't feel too sure that I didn't miss anything.

You also have to be careful because they know the list is out there so if they have any sense I am sure they are adding IP's with each new App version.

Rob

US Army calls for units to discontinue use of DJI equipment - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

DJI-no-fly-army.jpg

A bit too late, how many US army base video and pic has been phone home?

well to all the mods dont like discussions on modding firmware's and apps and upgrades..........here you go, we can stop this from happening and fly free........but as my friend says "WHATEVER" my advise to anyone is to fly in airplane mode, its the easiest and helpful mod, as for me, all mine have been blocked from any outside and third party diggers

Wow I wonder how they found out about all the Data the drones are leaking back to DJI. I wonder if they might not call for the removal of all the data gathering in all the software, for national security reasons.

Rob
airplane mode does not seem to stop them for me, i flew today android go app 4,0.6 and it is a dedicated phone never comes off airplane mode yet somehow it has updated the NFZ database (not that it matters much to me)

so i want to know how the hell if i have the phone with no chip and always in airplane mode that they can still access and update the app with no connection at all.

good news is DJi assistant says i am on current FW so never looks for an update but i am on 0550 go 406 android or ios go 4 1 0.

@Robbyg oh yea i wonder how they found out about DJI :) so now that this is in operation where does that leave DJI. With what we know about them now (no need for detail here as it is all elsewhere).

How will DJI react and what will they do about their computer coding (which may be under scrutiny in more ways than just what they are collecting).

Personally i found all this pretty fascinating and i really wish discussion here was not banned it would probably add a few thousand people to the forum.

today while flying a guy came over in the park and asked said mine looked to be ascending a lot faster than his and was i testing any changes i might have made. no i just had a good upward wind speed helping me :) really i did.

If DJI do not want to soon be a failing drone buisness ,which actually would be a shame as they make a great drone, they need to listen to their customers.

airplane mode does not seem to stop them for me, i flew today android go app 4,0.6 and it is a dedicated phone never comes off airplane mode yet somehow it has updated the NFZ database (not that it matters much to me)

so i want to know how the **** if i have the phone with no chip and always in airplane mode that they can still access and update the app with no connection at all.

Watch out, that's Crazy Talk according to some people on the forum. Remember when I said my phone came up with a strange "must update message"? Then I was called out by one forum member as being paranoid and delusional. Even though my phone has no Sim chip in it and is in airplane mode and the WiFi passwords were deleted months ago.

I guess some are wondering why the Military is saying to remove the battery immediately and store the craft.;)

Yeah some of us know why;)

Rob

Reactions: cplmac and Rnl
Watch out, that's Crazy Talk according to some people on the forum. Remember when I said my phone came up with a strange "must update message"? Then I was called out by one forum member as being paranoid and delusional. Even though my phone has no Sim chip in it and is in airplane mode and the WiFi passwords were deleted months ago.

I guess some are wondering why the Military is saying to remove the battery immediately and store the craft.;)

Yeah some of us know why;)

Rob
As you know my friend, i never doubted you at all, i was also one of the first to wonder how it happened at IOS but was told it was my fault i must have connected to the net by mistake. i did not do that this time. i get no update message at all it just did it. Now if you head into or near and NFZ you get a lovely red circle on the map showing you you are close to being a naughty boy. i do not fly with maps offline or online. So where is all this being added from.? maybe its just me somehow my tin foil hat is transmitting the data to DJI.

Reactions: Robbyg
That memo is from extremely high up the food chain, there is a good chance this issue will migrate to the civilian side. I'd love to see Commerce, Justice or the CPSC take a good look at this. Might be worth forwarding that memo to your Congressmen and Senators to help grease the skids. God knows they are looking for something they can agree on that they can sell as doing the people's business.

PS
Now that DoD has determined that DJI software is a security risk, is this forum going allow open and honest discussion about mitigating those risks?

That memo is from extremely high up the food chain, there is a good chance this issue will migrate to the civilian side. I'd love to see Commerce, Justice or the CPSC take a good look at this. Might be worth forwarding that memo to your Congressmen and Senators to help grease the skids. God knows they are looking for something they can agree on that they can sell as doing the people's business.

PS
Now that DoD has determined that DJI software is a security risk, is this forum going allow open and honest discussion about mitigating those risks?
Color me the color of stupid for starting this fear mongering thread, eh? This was only ever about spying on some birthday parties and those of us who were trying to warn everyone were crazy. You haven't seen nothin' yet and this is only the beginning.

Reactions: Robbyg and cplmac

PS

I would love to know in exact detail what Reference number one in that memo uncovered. The fact that the Army Research Laboratory deemed the findings "Classified" tells me that it's not just what the hacking community found, but even more.

Since its Classified info DJI cannot even contest it. It would mean that what ever they found is probably directly tied to the Chinese military. I would be a bit worried if I was a manager or worker at a DJI facility in the USA.

The worrying part for me is that this means they may be literally one step a way from banning the use of their products in the USA, which will very quickly domino to every other country. DJI better remove whatever crap they have in their software now or a lot of us may end up with a very expensive paper weight.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird