DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Astonishing and scary data collection by DJI

I remember this, from time to time, they still discover those factories have stocked up those milk formula and selling them from time to time in small batch.

I should be surprised but somehow I am not:mad:
It's funny, the young Chinese people are pretty cool to deal with, but the older ones (50-70) that grew up during the full blown communist era are a set of tools! They have absolutely no moral compass and are just greedy ( Mod Removed) on steroids.

Rob

Reactions: Qaazar
Yes and they have gotten so *** smart today. Instead of making one large charge they put a lot of small monthly charges on your card. If you don't pay attention to the statements you might not even notice $50 a month extra on your card.

Rob
i would notice........all i got is 50 left, from buying all these toys, why would they steal our money, we give it to them freely, its the sad truth, we dont make anything in this country anymore, it all comes from china, there working on some freezing technique for our beef chicken and pork, we are closing all our farms in the U.S. for MEDY REDIES and condos, and they know we eat like pigs, so big profit there , we will be buying beef that was frozen and take 12 weeks to get here by barges , and if it kills a few thousand .......oh well

I should be surprised but somehow I am not:mad:
It's funny, the young Chinese people are pretty cool to deal with, but the older ones (50-70) that grew up during the full blown communist era are a set of tools! They have absolutely no moral compass and are just greedy ( Mod Removed) on steroids.

Rob

My 21 years experience dealing with Chinese from north to south, all year range has no moral. Teenager is even worst, my girl is studying in UK, her classmate asked a shop keeper don't print invoice to skip the tax, WXF.

Sorry, not all of them. Most of the Chinese ppl that I meet are from business field.

i would notice........all i got is 50 left, from buying all these toys, why would they steal our money, we give it to them freely, its the sad truth, we dont make anything in this country anymore, it all comes from china, there working on some freezing technique for our beef chicken and pork, we are closing all our farms in the U.S. for MEDY REDIES and condos, and they know we eat like pigs, so big profit there , we will be buying beef that was frozen and take 12 weeks to get here by barges , and if it kills a few thousand .......oh well

All you got is $50 left after buying all the toys, I can relate to that:D If another Mavic related item enters my house I think my wife will be seeking a divorce;)

Rob

My 21 years experience dealing with Chinese from north to south, all year range has no moral. Teenager is even worst, my girl is studying in UK, her classmate asked a shop keeper don't print invoice to skip the tax, WXF.

Sorry, not all of them. Most of the Chinese ppl that I meet are from business field.

Yep, most of them I have met have no morals and a very sneaky way of doing things. Also I sometimes wonder if they even care about what they do to each other. No wonder why so many US companies are able to go over there and use them as literally slave labor. And as for there environment, they are done! I don't think 200 years will undo the damage they have done to their rivers, sea and land.

Rob

I feel this topic deserves its own thread so it doesn't get lost in a nearly 90-page main thread.

According to well-placed sources we are learning that DJI is potentially performing very troubling data collection via its DJI Assistant2 app and possibly by other means. While complete details are not yet available, what we know at this time is that DJI's software apparently can be used to modify your drone in potentially irreversible ways, with no warnings. Just as worrisome is the sheer scope of data collected by the software and how much of this data is phoned home to the DJI mothership without any visibility to the user. Privacy implications are potentially huge, as well as possible legal implications. If confirmed, serious questions should be asked by the members of this community and the media about the data collection activities and the legal ramifications of such data collection. DJI may need to answer what this data is being used for and who it's being shared with.

Even if the data collection is not nefarious everyone should be very concerned with privacy implications of such data collection. Without the ability to opt out, without the ability to decline updates that may contain more unknown and worrisome functionality, we too may find it mandatory for our logs to be sent to DJI/some other party every 2 days or risk deactivation. Or worse.

This is a huge slippery slope and if DJI is doing this, they need to be held accountable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170713-215429.png
    Screenshot_20170713-215429.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 76
divorce;)""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""already done that

Ahh smart man you planned ahead before you bought your Mavic.
;):D:D:D

Rob

TerryJ

I am not sure if that is a normal notice when you first setup a new device on FB or if you already had it setup and maybe completely changed your location or ??

Rob

Reactions: Slayerstwin
I found this video last night. It seems to be the most complete one on demonstrating what DJI is collecting and what they claim to be collecting in the TOS.

Rob

Last edited:
DJI is making billions selling drones and accessories worldwide. Do you think they're going to risk that by using our information nefariously? There's really not much we do nowadays that's private after 911 .

DJI is making billions selling drones and accessories worldwide. Do you think they're going to risk that by using our information nefariously? There's really not much we do nowadays that's private after 911 .

Do you think they are gathering and storing Terabytes of data everyday just for the fun of it?
Nefariously implies something illegal. These guys don't see selling your data to hundreds of marketing companies as illegal. My bigger concern is DJI being hacked! In every area their security has proven to be a joke.

Rob

Wow the kinds of permissions an app can even attempt to get on android is frightening. While having apps make phone calls for you could potentially be useful, in glad iOS doesn't allow apps to do this kind of stuff.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
The problem is that pretty much every app out there does similar things.
I am thinking Google, Skype, instagram, FaceBook, Twitter.
All of these plus many others just your phone keeps track of where you are and uses various functions of your phone/ tablet.
I have been on a 3600 Klm trip, my phone kept telling me where I was and what shops activities were available.
If I did a search for a particular interest I would then get lots of other things popping up related to that.
We have given control to far more entities than DJI.
Only real way is to live totally off the grid.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
@Robbyg

Regardless of what or if they are going to do with the data.
Thank you for sharing such a detailed video of it.
Proof they can do it. Proof (by showing blocking the connections) that they were trying to do it.
I know there are lots that think this is ok or harmless......I don't.
I don't know what the intentions are behind it.....but when its hidden away and refuted by themselves (sure doesn't build any trust).
Zero....I mean there are ZERO reasons the app needs for a few of those permissions!
Agreed with comment above iOS is good on this kind of stuff.

Reactions: Forrest
Do you think they are gathering and storing Terabytes of data everyday just for the fun of it?
Nefariously implies something illegal. These guys don't see selling your data to hundreds of marketing companies as illegal. My bigger concern is DJI being hacked! In every area their security has proven to be a joke.

Rob

I don't know any app that doesn't do that. Maybe they are mining your data here as well. Any website you go to can be hostile. This one included. Be careful which businesses you use a credit card in cause they get hacked.

Last edited:
The problem is that pretty much every app out there does similar things.
I am thinking Google, Skype, instagram, FaceBook, Twitter.
All of these plus many others just your phone keeps track of where you are and uses various functions of your phone/ tablet.
I have been on a 3600 Klm trip, my phone kept telling me where I was and what shops activities were available.
If I did a search for a particular interest I would then get lots of other things popping up related to that.
We have given control to far more entities than DJI.
Only real way is to live totally off the grid.

I don't use Facebook/Skype or twitter for those same reasons and google and a few others I have under control.

For me the real issue is not those "free" products that are trying to extract data to make revenue. My problem is that my $2000 investment is trying to do the same thing or worst.

Rob

Last edited:
@Robbyg

Regardless of what or if they are going to do with the data.
Thank you for sharing such a detailed video of it.
Proof they can do it. Proof (by showing blocking the connections) that they were trying to do it.
I know there are lots that think this is ok or harmless......I don't.
I don't know what the intentions are behind it.....but when its hidden away and refuted by themselves (sure doesn't build any trust).
Zero....I mean there are ZERO reasons the app needs for a few of those permissions!
Agreed with comment above iOS is good on this kind of stuff.

Your welcome.
And I agree, iOS is at least protecting you in some areas a lot better than android.

Rob

I can see and agree with people's fears, but the vast majority have no clue how much information on them is freely available on the net.
Any one with a bit of understanding can easily pull people's info.
I am at the back end of my life not to put a downer on it, but for me too much is already out there and all I can do is contain some vestige of privacy.

I can see and agree with people's fears, but the vast majority have no clue how much information on them is freely available on the net.
Any one with a bit of understanding can easily pull people's info.
I am at the back end of my life not to put a downer on it, but for me too much is already out there and all I can do is contain some vestige of privacy.

No they never do until they find out that someone has emptied their bank account and put their credit rating in the toilet.
I had a coworker who had his email account hacked which then led to his Facebook account being hacked and eventually within 24 hours they somehow had his bank account info and slowly drained it over a one week period. They then proceeded to black mail him with his Facebook info. Sending him photos and saying they were going to send them to his wife unless he paid them a lot of cash.

He called the police, they tracked down what country they where in and that was about it. The truly sad part was that within 6 months his wife filed for divorce and he lost more than 50% of everything he owned. (100% true story)

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin.macdonald