DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atlanta checking in...

Hi,

I am just over the river near Johnson Ferry Road and Paper Mill... so not far from Sandy Springs. How long have you had your Mavic? I am still new but have 3 months of flying experience now :).

George

If you guys ever do fly, please keep in me mind. It gets dark so early now, it's hard to fly after work. Weekends, I am down for some flying.

I split my time between Atlanta and Austin, but I’m always up for some flying. I’m in Buckhead near North Atlanta HS.

I am in Roswell flying a MA, always searching for good sites. Parks galore. AirMap is a good resource for locations.
I frequently travel to Macon where many sites are suitable for flying. I also travel to Columbus, the entire city is now restricted due to Fort Benning :( I plan to venture further north to the mountains for additional sites. Enjoy your flying.

I'm up near Cumming. Anybody know some cool spots up in the mountains to fly? I was thinking flying near some of the fire lookout towers and things like that.

Reactions: DLMNA
Sunday Morning at Piedmont Park

Attachments

• 3942EEF7-A20E-446A-911E-C6CDDA5016FC.jpeg
    3942EEF7-A20E-446A-911E-C6CDDA5016FC.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
I'm in Snellville. I haven't got the Mavic yet, but I pre-ordered it on the 29th of September so I don't think I will see it until mid November. Would love to me meet up and fly.
I'm also from Snellville. Looks like the only way to fly herre (-legally) is under part 107. Have you found other places?

Anyone flies? Any good areas you have flown?
Curious if anyone has flown it in Piedmont Park? I noticed in the Phantom discussion board some Atlanta folks talking about flying at Piedmont Park early in the AM. I have a Mavic and that would be a neat place to fly. However, I work about a 1/2 mile from there and the B4UFly app shows tons of airports around the area (mostly corporate). Curious if anyone here has flown there?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
i did. It was nice and peaceful in the am.

Anyone flies? Any good areas you have flown?

i did. It was nice and peaceful in the am.

There was an evening news brief that mentioned that drone flying in Atlanta has been banned by local ordinance.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwibw_rEw9fcAhUEbq0KHbTmDtkQFjAMegQIChAB&url=https://www.ajc.com/business/drone-zones-big-chunk-atlanta-air-space-restricted/S9Z7lxp1PYYkndcaCsHhEK/&usg=AOvVaw2aFbrAk_ikiJtF7ahW_4fL

Be very careful. The governor, for "security reasons" has passed legislation. If the above link doesn't work, just Google Atlanta Drone Restrictions.

-And that wasn't the correct link (-sigh)

And I just read that the Governor did NOT sign the drone regulations! -Sorry!

Last edited:
I guess I will have to go up north and fine some rural non state park areas to fly my drone.

Actually, you CAN fly in Atlanta. Read my last comment. The evening news blurted out that Atlanta would be a no-fly zone, but after further research, the governor didn't sign the legislation! Click on that link and it will list the Federal no-fly areas. I also looked up Piedmont park, and their rules are nebulous. They have a section on model airplanes, but nothing specific to drones, so I suspect the cop that you talk with will decide (sigh).

Oh, and if your dog poops while you're flying, you've got to pick it up! Now THAT's a crappy rule!

Reactions: GreatScott
Lol I know about the poop rule. I don’t want to step on dog poop when I fly. Lol. I guess model plane and drone are similar. They are both objects flying in the air. I will have to find the area where I can fly in the park. You go to the park and fly often?

Last edited:
Lol I know about the poop rule. I don’t want to step on dog poop when I fly. Lol. I guess model plane and drone are similar. They are both objects flying in the air. I will have to find the area where I can fly in the park. You go to the park and fly often?

I usually find a place that has an unobstructed paved parking lot, or a green area where I can stake down my drone pad (-Yes, I DO use a drone pad always. It protects both the blades and the drone from foreign objects). Tomorrow, if the weather allows, I'll fly from the Methodist church in Snellville and take pictures of the City Hall and the High School. I have the ability to fly under Part 107 with all of the Government ID cards to flash if confronted by the police (-I'm also an ATP pilot). I've never been questioned though.

I'm also becoming proficient with Resolve 15 Free editing software. It's the best that I've found for what we do, and it's laid-out better than other programs. They have a paid version too that gives you more extensive features, and will let you increase your resolutions to the very highest levels. I'm so pleased with what it does that I'm going to spring for the $300.

This coming Monday I'll take my Mavic Pro to the Silver Comet Trail and try some of the drone's advanced features (-Follow Me, while riding a bike down the path.). I'll be with someone else, so that I can concentrate on the drone itself.

Here's a link to one of my first efforts with Resolve 15. It's too long, and you'll see some of my beginner's blunders, but I haven't uploaded any of my more recent stuff to the Amazon Drive yet.

Amazon Drive

Very cool movie man. I am in the N GA mountain areas this weekend. This is a nice area and away from the airports. I just did a roof inspection for my mom in law. I want to get a certification and just need to sit down long enough to study the materials. Lol

Attachments

• CCA3CCEE-A2D7-4414-A4FF-A50BFC7DF1DC.jpeg
    CCA3CCEE-A2D7-4414-A4FF-A50BFC7DF1DC.jpeg
    883.8 KB · Views: 9
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member