DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attaching Marco Polo Tracker to Mavic

digitalbar

Reactions
Hello. I have been seeing a lot of interest in the Marco Polo Tracker (Recovery). I am not going into detail about the tracker but more on where I have attached the unit to the Mavic Pro. I have seen this done in one other poster here on Mavicpilots in a single picture. I will expand.

MP.jpg

Reason for attaching to the Starboard side arm.

1. Placement. Easy access to Marco Polo charging port when attached to the arm. I do open the one arm to make it very easy to charge. It is also the arm that has to be moved to access the micro sd card. AND also take into account of storage, my Mavic lays on its side during storage and transport. The tracker faces up at that time.

MP 2222.jpg
Where on the Mavic's arm.

2. Attached closer to motor to clear the props. Mavic Pro's props have very little clearance closer to the main body. If you choose this attachment option, please check your clearance before starting up for the first time. I have not had any problems with shifting of the tracker once it has been attached. Attachment method below.

IMG_1943.JPG
3. Velcro (industrial) and Zip Ties were both used to insure the tracker will most likely NOT come off during a crash or everyday handling. Be sure the Zip Ties do not contact the props. When attached properly, you will not have to do anything to this Tracker again except to charge. *** Do Not Cover the On/Off button or indicator light of the Tracker with the Zip Ties. There is room without doing so.

IMG_1941.JPG

The Marco Polo Tracker's flexible antenna faces down (NOT up because of prop contact). I have bent mine to always be out of the way during landing and storage. It holds that position and is never a bother. The Mavic Pro's Arm closes nicely and does not jam into the side of the body. There is a fraction of spread more than original closing of the arm. Turning the Marco Polo tracker on is easy while attached.

I have not notice any difference in flying characteristics of the Mavic Pro with the unit attached.

I will try to update this post when I see questions about attachment.

**** Something about Marco Polo from Robbyg:

I tested the Marco Polo in a few areas.

1) The battery life on the Tx was about 14 days. Which was better than the 10 days they advertise. My batteries are only on the third charge so I guess that figure will drop with time.

2) Distance in a wooded area with scattered buildings and uneven terrain blockages was a bit over 1/2 mile to maybe 3/4 mile.

3) Open line of sight was certainly about 2 miles.

4) The direction arrow is very accurate. It got me within a few feet of the Tx. I just had to look around to visually see it.

Overall I am very happy with it. I attached mine with the Velcro strap to the back of the Mavic and it has never shifted or given me the feeling that it might come off. If it does come off during an impact and tumble through tree branches I dont see that as a problem because the two items should end up being close together.

Rob

#59Robbyg, Yesterday at 12:15 PM

Reactions: mamayda
I like the arm mount. Here's just another option.marco.JPG

New waterproof version of Marco Polo UAV tracker (just released this month) comes with its own plastic mount now. Attached to the rear leg mount (base plate was screwed on with 3 of the 4 supplied screws, as well as super glued plastic to plastic. See first photo). The tracker can now be removed from the drone for charging, transport, or swapping to another drone without the need to remove the rear leg or bending the antenna. No need for Velcro or zip-ties to hold it in place. The tracker is on tight and is not coming off without significant force or by unclipping the tracker from its base plate. Antenna is out of the way and does not need to bend for landing or prop clearance. (Click on the photos to see closeup of mount).

marco-polo.jpg

marco-polo2.jpg

Sorry, I am in a terrible mood today but I have to ask, whats the need for it to be waterproof?
If the Mav hits that water the Marco Polo signal is gone anyway!
Is that bulky rod to the right the Antenna? Just seems like the whole thing, antenna, mount, water proof case etc seem to be a lot of extra weight that adds nothing new to the table.

I like the fact that Marco Polo is making stuff more specifically for the Mavic, I am one of those people who really loves their products but I am a little baffled by this upgrade. If the Tx unit detached on impact with water and had a 100ft spool of thin line and floated then that would all make a lot more sense to me. Just a suggestion;)

Rob

Sorry, I am in a terrible mood today but I have to ask, whats the need for it to be waterproof?
If the Mav hits that water the Marco Polo signal is gone anyway!
Is that bulky rod to the right the Antenna? Just seems like the whole thing, antenna, mount, water proof case etc seem to be a lot of extra weight that adds nothing new to the table.

I like the fact that Marco Polo is making stuff more specifically for the Mavic, I am one of those people who really loves their products but I am a little baffled by this upgrade. If the Tx unit detached on impact with water and had a 100ft spool of thin line and floated then that would all make a lot more sense to me. Just a suggestion;)

Rob

First, it weighs a paltry 11 grams (.38 oz) more than the ultralight version (antenna included). The weight difference is basically negligible and has absolutely no effect on flight. (None that I've noticed). The mount itself weighs no more than velcro and zip-ties would weigh. I didn't weigh it alone but I can't imagine it weighs more than a couple of grams. And yes, that's the antenna on the side.

Second, there's a lot of reasons to have it waterproof. (I don't believe they claim that the ultralight version is even water-resistant but I'm not sure). Yes, if you drop it in a lake or the ocean, the waterproof tag won't likely help much. But if you lose your drone in an unknown area or at an inopportune time (dusk, let's say, or right before you need to go to work/pick up the kids, etc.), maybe you can't get to the drone immediately. Maybe you lose it in a snow drift. Maybe you get caught in a rainstorm and lose control due to the precipitation. There's a million such stories on this and other forums. The whole point is that the battery on the tracker lasts for 30 days, continuing to give you a signal, allowing you to track it down and find your drone. If you can't find the drone immediately, without the waterproof version, you better hope that it doesn't snow or rain until you do.

For me, it was worth the extra $10 spent (for the mounting kit alone {in fact, they charge $15 for the mounting kit itself} - no need for velcro, zip-ties, and the ability to remove it easily) and the extra 1/3 of an ounce, simply for the piece of mind that the tracker was waterproof. Spending $200 for an item that you hope you'll never need/use is the same thing as spending an extra $10 for a feature you hope you'll never need/use.

Last edited:
While I know that the Mavic is not exactly streamlined in shape the mounts fitted across the rear legs looks more like an air brake to me. A moot point anyway, the nanny state here in the uk won't let us use this type of tracker!

just curious,why not
It doesn’t fit with the UK radio frequency spectrum allocation. The US has a different spectrum allocation plan. To sell in the UK or EU, Marco Polo just need to change the frequency to comply with the local spectrum allocation. Operating at a frequency allocated for another function may interfere with that function and this could have serious outcomes. Appropriate frequencies are available.

Reactions: sonof40
New waterproof version of Marco Polo UAV tracker (just released this month) comes with its own plastic mount now. Attached to the rear leg mount (base plate was screwed on with 3 of the 4 supplied screws, as well as super glued plastic to plastic. See first photo). The tracker can now be removed from the drone for charging, transport, or swapping to another drone without the need to remove the rear leg or bending the antenna. No need for Velcro or zip-ties to hold it in place. The tracker is on tight and is not coming off without significant force or by unclipping the tracker from its base plate. Antenna is out of the way and does not need to bend for landing or prop clearance. (Click on the photos to see closeup of mount).

View attachment 17774

View attachment 17775
The only thing that concerns me here is the antennae pointing on a horizontal plane. I'm only mentioning that because with the regular, non-waterproof tag, the instructions say that you have worse reception when your getting close to the tag if it's horizontal, but I hope I'm wrong on that, because this looks like a great way to mount this tag. Marc.

the instructions say that you have worse reception when your getting close to the tag if it's horizontal
Something else to consider -- can you guarantee which way the Mavic will be facing when it crashes/lands in an unexpected location?

It doesn’t fit with the UK radio frequency spectrum allocation. The US has a different spectrum allocation plan. To sell in the UK or EU, Marco Polo just need to change the frequency to comply with the local spectrum allocation. Operating at a frequency allocated for another function may interfere with that function and this could have serious outcomes. Appropriate frequencies are available.
You know, you might want to contact Marco Polo and tell them about the frequency. Maybe they would consider making one that is legal for the UK. That could be a big market for them. I'm sorry that's the case because the Marco Polo can really be a game changer when it comes to locating your drone, especially in dense foliage. Marc.

Something else to consider -- can you guarantee which way the Mavic will be facing when it crashes/lands in an unexpected location?
You've got a great point there. Who knows how it might land? I think the instructions said it only is less strong of a signal when your really close to the transmitter. I'll have to test this out. When I do I'll report back here to give a little report on my findings. Marc.

You've got a great point there. Who knows how it might land? I think the instructions said it only is less strong of a signal when your really close to the transmitter. I'll have to test this out. When I do I'll report back here to give a little report on my findings. Marc.
I received the waterproof advanced tag and just did a little test in the dining room. I laid it on the table flat, where the antenna is barely angled upward and went into the other room to search for it. It showed up on the tracker and pointed to the dining room. I'm gonna take the drone out tomorrow to the same playground where I lost the other tag and try it out by setting the drone down 4 or 5 hundred feet away, then try to find it. Marc.

Can someone post the waterproof version with parts needed. Thanks in advance

Can someone post the waterproof version with parts needed. Thanks in advance
I have the waterproof version, but I'm not sure yet, how to put photos in the post. However..., there are some great pictures of the waterproof tag in the Mavic Pilots forum. I'd just search under Marco Polo, and you should find them. The locator, or searcher unit you hold in your had is the same for both types of tags. The main difference with the tag or transmitter, is it's in a nice little waterproof clear case and they send you a nice little plastic piece that you snap that on to, so you can remove it if you want to for storage. There's also some other cool stuff like screws, Velcro, etc. and some nice diagrams to see ways to mount the tag. Marc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR