DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Attacked by Bald Eagle

Mavic 3 attacked by relentless Bald Eagle!. We danced in the sky as he swooped and I rocketed the drone up and down in an attempt to lose him. Finally landed with only a nicked propeller…my heart can start beating again.
I'm sticking with Barn owl-my 2nd choice Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 12.58.54 PM.png would be an osprey.

I've also recently had one attack an ended up chasiume a good 1-2km away, kinda funny and intriguing to me.

Slightly OT but as firece as the are, they so cute

Live feed of them looking after their young. Helps me understand why they chasing the drone away in the first place.

It is a falcon. They can be very territorial, particularly if they have young ones.
Having had several bald eagles take a run at my drones (See my avatar for 1 encounter), as well as a few falcons, hawks, and sea gulls, my guess would be a peregrine falcon as well.

I was flying an Air 2 over Fredericton, New Brunswick (Canada), when I had what was definitely a peregrine falcon take several passes at my drone. I did manage to get one picture of the bird as I attempted to avoid a collision.

If you zoom in on the picture, you can see the distinctive markings on the bird. I was also impressed by the depth of field in the photo - the bird is not that out of focus considering how close it is.

View attachment 155875
I agree, a prarie falcon or a peregrine.

Just so you know, even Crows and Seagulls will take you down! And they’re big!
Yes, indeed, seagulls can get big, & curious, or defensive too!

3 screengrabs from my practicing flying in Sport mode with my M3P at 1 of my local beaches... & getting a bit low in altitude @ full speed...

No crashes!

Attachments

• Screenshot_880.jpg
    Screenshot_880.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_881.jpg
    Screenshot_881.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_882.jpg
    Screenshot_882.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Kbviper
Mavic 3 attacked by relentless Bald Eagle!. We danced in the sky as he swooped and I rocketed the drone up and down in an attempt to lose him. Finally landed with only a nicked propeller…my heart can start beating again.
Nice shot! Sorry not trying to steal you thunder, but I didn't know where else to post my question about birds.

Hey all,
This is somewhat suiting of a forum for me to post this.I was camping with the fam and decided to take some photos of the fall leaves.

I got maybe 200 feet up and a good size hawk swooped in and literally destroyed my drone! It tore it apart. Two drone arms ripped off, still attached by the parachute chords, the gimble was ripped out, hanging by wires, and my the bird some how managed to take my battery out my Mavic three and Carey it off! I watched helplessly as my drone plummeted to the ground. This was two days ago!

Question for anyone that knows...

When I bought the drone, I purchased DJI's refresh plan for two years. DJI's refresh plan CLAIMS to cover two hassle free replacements. Comprehensive coverage, collision damage, water damage, 2 fly away, accidents, etc., all covered.

I was NOT FLYING irrationally and had the drone in site at all times. Along with my wife and two kiddos.

What's not clear and why I'm asking here...Does anyone know if DJI will actually cover my drone due to a a bird? it seems to me this would be covered, under accident, and collision. The fine print does not specify birds.

Any advise from anyone with experience as to the exact wording I should choose to use when I make my claim with DJI?

Should I mention it was a collision with a bird? Unfortunately I had just got done taking two photos and about to press record in 4k 60fps, before the bird swooped in our of know where. Unfortunately I don't have video footage sadly, as I would of at least had that!:)

I took photos and video of the drone right where it was dropped by the hawk. Then several after of it when I got home.

Any advise from experience would be helpful!

I just need to make sure DJI replaces my drone without a problem. It's going to need to be totally replaced!

Anyone know what I should say and should not say based off of experience?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_225523739~2.jpg
    PXL_20221015_225523739~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
Nice shot! Sorry not trying to steal you thunder, but I didn't know where else to post my question about birds.

Hey all,
This is somewhat suiting of a forum for me to post this.I was camping with the fam and decided to take some photos of the fall leaves.

I got maybe 200 feet up and a good size hawk swooped in and literally destroyed my drone! It tore it apart. Two drone arms ripped off, still attached by the parachute chords, the gimble was ripped out, hanging by wires, and my the bird some how managed to take my battery out my Mavic three and Carey it off! I watched helplessly as my drone plummeted to the ground. This was two days ago!

Question for anyone that knows...

When I bought the drone, I purchased DJI's refresh plan for two years. DJI's refresh plan CLAIMS to cover two hassle free replacements. Comprehensive coverage, collision damage, water damage, 2 fly away, accidents, etc., all covered.

I was NOT FLYING irrationally and had the drone in site at all times. Along with my wife and two kiddos.

What's not clear and why I'm asking here...Does anyone know if DJI will actually cover my drone due to a a bird? it seems to me this would be covered, under accident, and collision. The fine print does not specify birds.

Any advise from anyone with experience as to the exact wording I should choose to use when I make my claim with DJI?

Should I mention it was a collision with a bird? Unfortunately I had just got done taking two photos and about to press record in 4k 60fps, before the bird swooped in our of know where. Unfortunately I don't have video footage sadly, as I would of at least had that!:)

I took photos and video of the drone right where it was dropped by the hawk. Then several after of it when I got home.

Any advise from experience would be helpful!

I just need to make sure DJI replaces my drone without a problem. It's going to need to be totally replaced!

Anyone know what I should say and should not say based off of experience?

Many thanks!
...ouchie...

@Crash Pro it shows you from Canada. I see maybe a large lake in the video, or is that coastal and an island off shore? Marine coast environment or inland? Which Province? Looks like BC approaching Vancouver but I don’t know. Time of year?
We could quite narrow down the specie with geography and time of year (nesting or breeding season, fledgling flight lessons, migration, annual feeding choices etc.)
Beautiful area in the video if ignoring the bird trying to run you down.
Where was this filmed?

Safe flying,
KI5RLL

Thankfully, your drone wasn't damaged. However, the view from the sky is still very impressive. It seemed that the flight experience was an unforgettable one.

Reactions: Crash Pro
@Crash Pro it shows you from Canada. I see maybe a large lake in the video, or is that coastal and an island off shore? Marine coast environment or inland? Which Province? Looks like BC approaching Vancouver but I don’t know. Time of year?
We could quite narrow down the specie with geography and time of year (nesting or breeding season, fledgling flight lessons, migration, annual feeding choices etc.)
Where was this filmed?

Safe flying,
KI5RLL
Filmed from my parents driveway
Where was this filmed?

Safe flying,
KI5RLL
The footage was taken from my parents driveway near the Koocanusa. This is the first time that I’ve run into bird issues here. There is a pair of bald eagles that nest in the area, hence, me thinking it was an attack by a bald eagle. However, it looks to possibly be a falcon of some sort?

Either way, I’ll have to be super careful when flying here as I’ve already lost 2 drones to bird strikes already.

Filmed from my parents driveway

The footage was taken from my parents driveway near the Koocanusa. This is the first time that I’ve run into bird issues here. There is a pair of bald eagles that nest in the area, hence, me thinking it was an attack by a bald eagle. However, it looks to possibly be a falcon of some sort?

Either way, I’ll have to be super careful when flying here as I’ve already lost 2 drones to bird strikes already.
Bald Eagle country yes, but maybe not a bald eagle. Multiple reasons others already covered.
I don’t know about falcons in that area east BC.
But plenty of amazing birders online. You have seen them multiple times in person and on video flying.
These folks know all about birds. If you can’t ID it passive with their info, I know anyone there could probably ID it in seconds.
Easy to just ask. Audubon members have an incredible knowledge of most all bird species.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

Reactions: Crash Pro
Bald Eagle country yes, but maybe not a bald eagle. Multiple reasons others already covered.
I don’t know about falcons in that area east BC.
But plenty of amazing birders online. You have seen them multiple times in person and on video flying.
These folks know all about birds. If you can’t ID it passive with their info, I know anyone there could probably ID it in seconds.
Easy to just ask. Audubon members have an incredible knowledge of most all bird species.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

Peregrine Falcon.

(Not that it makes me an expert, but we've seen them during the Audubon coastal bird surveys over the past several years. I've also seen them many times on the Gulf barrier islands, in downtown Atlanta, Louisiana, ... Encountered them in Vermont and Utah during the last two months.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13