DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Attacked by Bald Eagle

I am no twitcher but I am fairly sure that that is not an eagle or raptor of any sort? The wing beat is surely far too fast and stiff?
You’re probably right. I went back over the footage in slow motion and I think it’s just the sunlight reflecting off the birds head making it look white. Either way, my drone was being attacked by something that was not happy with it invading it’s territory. Glad I got it back with little damage.

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
You guys will know your raptors better than me but it seems to have a white head which says mature baldie but the wing beat is deffo not an eagle, more a falcon but can’t think of a white headed falcon. My Birds of Canada says there are no other white headed raptors in the Country but over to the Western side Swainsons and the Red Tailed hawks creep into the country-slightly lighter heads than others. Any good?

Reactions: Crash Pro
Mavic 3 attacked by relentless Bald Eagle!. We danced in the sky as he swooped and I rocketed the drone up and down in an attempt to lose him. Finally landed with only a nicked propeller…my heart can start beating again.
It looks like a barn(?) owl to meScreen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.58.16 AM.png

Here is a screen grab

Dale

Have to agree with Yorkshire_Pud, I also am not an expert on your bald eagles but the bird was travelling way fast and when I stopped the vid on approach I could not see the telltale upturn of the wing tips. I was always taught that the difference between eagles and other raptors was The upturned wingtips. That’s what I was taught. Your birds might be different there.
Regards

Regardless of the bird type, I'm glad you were able to save your drone. :)

Reactions: Crash Pro
On a frame by frame basis I have changed my mind about "raptor of any sort" so have edited post no2. Perhaps a falcon of some sort?
It would be interesting to post the video on a bird watchers forum and see if they can identify it.....just for curiosity's sake.

I have studied various stills of the video and I think it is definitely a Falcon, and if it were the UK I would have said a Peregrine falcon. The shape of the wings in this still are a give away and it was far too quick and manoverable to be an Eagle.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 7
Mavic 3 attacked by relentless Bald Eagle!. We danced in the sky as he swooped and I rocketed the drone up and down in an attempt to lose him. Finally landed with only a nicked propeller…my heart can start beating again.
Just so you know, even Crows and Seagulls will take you down! And they’re big!

I have studied various stills of the video and I think it is definitely a Falcon, and if it were the UK I would have said a Peregrine falcon. The shape of the wings in this still are a give away and it was far too quick and manoverable to be an Eagle.

Yes, I agree. Peregrine Falcon. Definitely not an eagle.

Fastest animal on Earth.

Reactions: JTZ and Crash Pro
Having had several bald eagles take a run at my drones (See my avatar for 1 encounter), as well as a few falcons, hawks, and sea gulls, my guess would be a peregrine falcon as well.

I was flying an Air 2 over Fredericton, New Brunswick (Canada), when I had what was definitely a peregrine falcon take several passes at my drone. I did manage to get one picture of the bird as I attempted to avoid a collision.

If you zoom in on the picture, you can see the distinctive markings on the bird. I was also impressed by the depth of field in the photo - the bird is not that out of focus considering how close it is.

DJI_0148.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman