DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attempted Takedown with Shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I believe any centerfire rifle cartridge would have knocked the entire prop blade off. Heck a .22LR might as well. But since the blade remained attached, it had to be a much slower projectile like a pellet or BB.

Reactions: Former Member
If it was a projectile hit, I'm doubtful even with a .17 pellet that blade section would have remained on. I would have thought it would have produced a sudden flight attitude change you would have noticed & corrected.

I'm also in agreement with an earlier post: that trailing edge can be damaged when ft leading edge is flexed. If blade strike occurs further out on the leading edge, the thicker plastic ft edge will normally flex and often break a small section on the very thin trailing edge section.... this is a plastic blade making it even more susceptible to cracks and small pieces breaking on thin trailing edge. The larger Inspire & Matrice plastic blades will exhibit similar results of notching, but if carbon they'll normally break off. This can occur on landing, striking a twig on ground or hefty grass stem.

A lot of interesting discussion on the probability of projectile propeller strike based on propeller specifications. Interesting to read.

On the other side of the discussion is projectile trajectory. Several have suggested a Hatson Mod 125 air rifle... very impressive to detail; the low resolution photo on my phone is so blurred I'm unable to detect level of detail. Using the Hatson's energy as common for an air rifle, on level ground the trajectory has about a 40-50 yard accuracy. That equates to about a 150 foot max with any energy. Aerial Realty work normally is 80 to 200 feet, avg about 100-120 feet to not bother neighbors. Shooting in a upwards trajectory greatly reduces an air pellets range & accuracy... greatly increasing projectile drop unless heavily compensated in sighting which I doubt in the hast to track a small profile moving aerial target.

Despite weather or not a projectile struck the aircraft, you do have video / still(s) of neighbor holding a rifle and both neighbors visually tracking the aircraft; along with his verbal confirmation providing a collaborating story of intentions to fire upon the aircraft.

Personally, I'd file a LEO report to have it simply "on file" for reference and to encourage the LEO to speak with the individual. The LEO would lack evidence to perform any arrest or fine based solely on your material, but it would be enough to speak & inform the person they have received a complaint. That may be enough to tame his future urge to shoot, actually "indirectly" helping him avoid a future arrest or legal matter too. But my main concern would be... do it once without consciences will encourage to do it again to maybe someone else with more determination. I'd file a LEO report on the incident to protect possibly other people he finds frustrating, who's to say he doesn't take offense on other matters too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnpol
On the legal discussion and informing the party it's illegal under Federal Law (FAA)... that is a position to take, but sadly unless there is bodily harm or damage to critical property (electrical, towers, etc) it appears that won't actually happen based on the recent ordeal that a drone team while looking for a dog in neigborhood had their aircraft shot down. The party even admitted to shooting it down. He'll probably receive a LEO fine, but the FAA and Federal Courts will not pursue due to case loads and no bodily damage.

On the legal discussion and informing the party it's illegal under Federal Law (FAA)... that is a position to take, but sadly unless there is bodily harm or damage to critical property (electrical, towers, etc) it appears that won't actually happen based on the recent ordeal that a drone team while looking for a dog in neigborhood had their aircraft shot down. The party even admitted to shooting it down. He'll probably receive a LEO fine, but the FAA and Federal Courts will not pursue due to case loads and no bodily damage.

The perp was fined $500 for Unauthorized Discharge of a Firearm, ACOD (adjourned in contemplation of dismissal} to $0 if he stays out of trouble for 6 months..

The perp was fined $500 for Unauthorized Discharge of a Firearm, ACOD (adjourned in contemplation of dismissal} to $0 if he stays out of trouble for 6 months..
Ya, saw that too... pretty sad eh, when it's a Fed Crime, State & local... and still no precedence to assist in prosecution of future actions of similar. Example of rules have no impact... and sadly this is partly due to media making Drones an evil thing to public eyes.

I got a last minute job from a client to go to a property in Stockton (CA) and get some aerial photos for the realtor to use. I was behind the property obscured by brush when a large white pickup truck drove by. I figure they were looking for me, but I continued what I was doing, landed my Mavic and started walking toward my car. The truck pulls up alongside of me, and the 50-60 something German guy says "why are you flying your drone over my property?". I told him I'm taking photos for a realtor and that I was not taking photos of his property.

He asked why I didn't notify the neighbors, and I told him that I didn't intend to spend too much time taking the photos, but agreed that I should have made an effort to notify the neighbors on either side of the home and apologized if the drone made him uncomfortable. I offered to let him look at the photos on the card. He refused and said he had his shotgun out and was going to shoot it out of the sky.

We talked a little more and I got him to calm down and our conversation became more cordial. I informed him that I was going to take a few more shots in front of the house and he was good with that. I offered to take aerial photos of his property and he accepted. After taking the photos in front of the house, I started packing away the drone and noticed that one of my front props had a good chunk of it missing. I get home and started working on my photos and zoomed into their yard and noticed the wife watching the drone, and then, further down the sequence of shots, I see the husband holding a rifle. I'm not sure what make/model but now I'm thinking that he actually shot at it and the missing chunk was from a bullet. I'm not certain, but now, although we seemed to end our conversation on good terms, I'm a little upset.

My takeaway from this, is that in the future, I will make an effort to inform neighbors of the activity. However, I think the attempted takedown of the drone crossed the line.

View attachment 71902

View attachment 71899View attachment 71901View attachment 71901
I hope you fill out an incident report with the FAA

Reactions: Norb_DAIS
You did do the right thing. Too many crazies around with guns these days

Call the cops then call the pizza delivery & see who gets to your house first.
It is better to have a gun & not need one, then to need a gun & not have one.
And yes, just like car drivers, there are a few nuts with guns out there - doesn't require us to take ALL the guns away from EVERYBODY...

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Good handling of that situation!

Im really curious about the prop damage- it was obviously hit by a gun, had you ever hit anything, it wouldn’t have been on the trailing edge of the prop. Has anyone else seen this type of damage on the trailing edge?

It is possible that the guy is holding a .22
cal pellet gun and not a shotgun- both are pump action, and you would not have heard that go off as easily as a shotgun Also, they could do that type of damage if its a lucky shot.

Very, very, very lucky shot!

Rat/snake shot is available for most calibers including .22 rimfire. .22 is also very quiet, not much louder than a fire cracker and if it's between houses the sound may not carry. Rat/snake shot is basically a rifle/handgun cartridge that has multiple small projectiles instead of a single bullet. Even a .22 rat shot has 5-7 small B-B's and one of them could easily cause the damage on the prop.....

I think you mean "bird shot". For a .22 it is only good for about 15' so I think that drone was way out of range - I'd say it was a shotgun & a lucky shot...

Reactions: WeeBotOne
I’m one of the last people to invite the man into someone’s life, but I would definitely file a police report.

The report is really just an official copy of the information you provide to the officer.

Drone had no damage before flight
Drone suffered damage during the flihht
Neighbor threatened to shoot it down
Neighbor was caught in photos holding a gun.

There is no direct evidence that the neighbor actually shot the drone but there is likely enough for an officer to conduct an investigation.

If the officer talks to the neighbor, he may even confess.

And yes, just like car drivers, there are a few nuts with guns out there - doesn't require us to take ALL the guns away from EVERYBODY...

I never said anything remotely like “take the guns away from everybody.” I don’t know why you singled me out.

Let’s stay away from making this about guns shall we? I’m sure there are plenty of gun forums for that

Reguardless of any remotely possible irrational laws that might crop up in future, doubt you’d see LEO’s knocking at doors for surrender of personal weapons. They’re not willing to go to that extent of life for a right most agree. As themselves, they realize the importance of gun rights, and how the majority would defend their rights. The haphazard failed attempt of prohibition was a cakewalk to the reception they’d receive on citizen rights to defend... as a Vet, we haven’t changed our stance.

Reactions: Drgnfli
The US has too many guns. Period. That’s why it is the only industrialized country in the world with such high gun violence. Period.

Can you name one?
Easy... Brazil, several others.
Not the point, not the forum, and many with low gun death percentage still higher in criminal death percentage. By Legal Owner percentage barely registers... comment above was on legal Ownership.

Can you name one?
Turns out we are #11. I was kinda surprised too

Though this one will surprise most anybody.

I don’t actually want to get in on this debate but a wise man one told me “Dic mihi solum facta, domine.” (I changed the direct address to male ;))

Attachments

• 036697FC-C65A-4BF2-9089-EFFAAB7E4001.png
    036697FC-C65A-4BF2-9089-EFFAAB7E4001.png
    162 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: sar104
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads