DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode going active on its own with adequate satellites. Any ideas?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Something strange happened today. I wanted to fly my Mini 2 a bit to view the new snow that fell last night. It was totally overcast. I decided to turn the Mini on inside by the front door, walk outside and hand launch initially and hover until satellites were registered. After a short time the voice said "the homepoint has been updated". I saw that we had 23 satellites.

I kept the Mini basically in a straight line in front of the house so I could see it and stood at the front window, but practicing maneuvers, mostly combinations of up and away and down and back, mostly in the N mode. But as I got closer and wanted finer control I'd switch to C mode. As I did that the voice announced "Atti mode". In fact, each time I switched to the C mode it did that. However, it did randomly switch to Atti mode when in the N mode too!

Is this normal behavior? Is the heavy overcast obstructing the work of the sats, even intermittently? I was very careful not to let it go very far out so as not to have to depend on the GPS to bring it back accurately. But I did once hit the RTH button and it did go to the proper altitude and head in the right direction home. I didn't trust it to fully land so I took canceled RTH as soon as I knew I had close in LOS and could bring it to where I could capture it again.

Can someone explain to me what is normal and abnormal behavior for the Mini 2 to switch between GPS and Atti modes and is it unusual or a malfunction when it switches on its own to Atti mode when 20+ satellites are shown in the viewfinder?

Reactions: raymairjr
First question. Did you update the firmware? I did not test this a lot, but ran into issues with atti mode popping up after a firmware update. The most recent firmware update solved the issue for me.
Note I can not be certain the firmware caused the issue and then the update solved the issue since I did not test it much, but that will be the first thing you want to check.
Firmware updates as well as app updates.

Something strange happened today. I wanted to fly my Mini 2 a bit to view the new snow that fell last night. It was totally overcast. I decided to turn the Mini on inside by the front door, walk outside and hand launch initially and hover until satellites were registered. After a short time the voice said "the homepoint has been updated". I saw that we had 23 satellites.

I kept the Mini basically in a straight line in front of the house so I could see it and stood at the front window, but practicing maneuvers, mostly combinations of up and away and down and back, mostly in the N mode. But as I got closer and wanted finer control I'd switch to C mode. As I did that the voice announced "Atti mode". In fact, each time I switched to the C mode it did that. However, it did randomly switch to Atti mode when in the N mode too!

Is this normal behavior? Is the heavy overcast obstructing the work of the sats, even intermittently? I was very careful not to let it go very far out so as not to have to depend on the GPS to bring it back accurately. But I did once hit the RTH button and it did go to the proper altitude and head in the right direction home. I didn't trust it to fully land so I took canceled RTH as soon as I knew I had close in LOS and could bring it to where I could capture it again.

Can someone explain to me what is normal and abnormal behavior for the Mini 2 to switch between GPS and Atti modes and is it unusual or a malfunction when it switches on its own to Atti mode when 20+ satellites are shown in the viewfinder?
I’m having the same issue, everything is up to date

Base on the reports I have seen so far, this is just a false warning. The craft was still in GPS mode becasue it could do RTH correctly and all the responses to control input seems to be normal. E.g. if the craft was really in ATTI mode, it wouldn't brake by itself but continued to move in the original direction after the sticks were released.

Base on the reports I have seen so far, this is just a false warning. The craft was still in GPS mode becasue it could do RTH correctly and all the responses to control input seems to be normal. E.g. if the craft was really in ATTI mode, it wouldn't brake by itself but continued to move in the original direction after the sticks were released.
False warning or not, it has to be fixed so we know are able to know definitively that the Mini 2 actually shift into the Atti mode. Based on the other reponses here I sent a message to DJI support notifying them of the issue.

False warning or not, it has to be fixed so we know are able to know definitively that the Mini 2 actually shift into the Atti mode. Based on the other reponses here I sent a message to DJI support notifying them of the issue.
I’ve already contacted DJ regarding my Atti issue, they told me to return the drone for analysis

If it said Atti mode but didn't actually go into atti mode like many reported with the latest app you'd be wasting your time sending your perfectly good aircraft.

Just seems to be an app bug.

If it said Atti mode but didn't actually go into atti mode like many reported with the latest app you'd be wasting your time sending your perfectly good aircraft.

Just seems to be an app bug
It did only start happening after the latest App update (iOS), it’s happening with the current and previous AC firmware. I had my flight analysed by a well known member on DJI forum and they advised it was a minor yaw error (could this be an app bug which is over sensitive ?)

Hello all, I got the same atti message on the latest fly app when flying the Mavic mini. I noticed that the drone was drifting so I recalibrated the imu even though there was no error message for the imu. I flew the drone afterwards and it flew normally without the atti message popping up. I have only flown once so far after the calibration so I can’t guaranty that the atti issue is fixed due to the imu recalibration. Hopefully it won’t happen when I fly my MA 2.

I just updated the firmware and I got the atti mode warning as well.
I too was a victim of the Atti mode occurrence yesterday while flying from my back deck

I believed the issue has been resolved.
I experienced the "Atti" problem this morning after I upgraded DJI Fly. When I backed home, tried to figure out what was happening, I got a note on the console of DJI Fly. A firmware was available. I completed the firmware upgrade immediately, and went out to test. No "Atti" switching any more.

Reactions: raymairjr
I believed the issue has been resolved.
I experienced the "Atti" problem this morning after I upgraded DJI Fly. When I backed home, tried to figure out what was happening, I got a note on the console of DJI Fly. A firmware was available. I completed the firmware upgrade immediately, and went out to test. No "Atti" switching any more.
Hi, app 1.2.2 is the version that has started with Atti issues, out of the last five flights only one of them has been without Atti warnings. Even with the warnings the AC is stable in the air and RTH works perfectly

Hello all, I got the same atti message on the latest fly app when flying the Mavic mini. I noticed that the drone was drifting so I recalibrated the imu even though there was no error message for the imu. I flew the drone afterwards and it flew normally without the atti message popping up. I have only flown once so far after the calibration so I can’t guaranty that the atti issue is fixed due to the imu recalibration. Hopefully it won’t happen when I fly my MA 2.
If it was drifting steadily, as if being carried by the wind, the ATTI might have been a legitimate warning.

It did only start happening after the latest App update (iOS), it’s happening with the current and previous AC firmware. I had my flight analysed by a well known member on DJI forum and they advised it was a minor yaw error (could this be an app bug which is over sensitive ?)
ATTI is a specific flight mode though, and so the app should only be producing the warning when the AC reports it has gone into ATTI.
I suppose the AC may have gone into ATTI very briefly where it wasn't noticeable in behavior, but that should cancel any autonomous flight modes including RTH.

1.2.2 is what I am on now. Upgrade Mini 2 firmware should fix your issue.
I just did the update and there’s some other goodies on there too, do you have added a little bit of zoom capability to photos and 60 FPS in 2.7 video

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent