DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode while strong GPS signal

Which leads to another question: If a Mavic goes into ATTI mode because it loses GPS information, will it ignore NFZs? '
There's no GPS to know where you are and that you're in NFZ, so can't enforce NFZ.

But if it's voluntary/user selected ATTI, then you still have GPS for telemetry, it knows if you're in NFZ so it would be enforced. It would also exit ATTI when you are in RTH.

The problem isn't whether or not the Mini's actually enter Atti mode, but not knowing when to trust that it isn't in Atti mode when it actually isn't. As an example, today I was practicing indoors and got that 'Atti mode' voice notifcation. It was fine and under control... until it wasn't and then it was like driving on ice without brakes. When it goes into real Atti mode even in Cine in a confined space the sticks are far too sensitive. In another thread I brought that up that the Cine mode should be more like the M2's tripod mode for finer control and some doofus said "you need more training". That's fine when you still have positioning but when you actually have to fly the damned thing without any positioning the sticks are far too sensitive just off of center position. And with the delay in drone response for both action and correction it makes for real issues. I use prop guards indoors with my Mini 2 now because I know there will be times when it will be more difficult to control.
Were you too high or room too dark for VPS?
Normally if GPS fails, it will use VPS. If VPS also fails or turned off, then you're stuck with ATTI.

Which leads to another question: If a Mavic goes into ATTI mode because it loses GPS information, will it ignore NFZs? '
If GPS reception is so bad it doesn't even know where it is, yes. But usually falling into ATTI mode is due to compass errors, it takes quite a bit for GPS reception to completely disappear...

I had not checked this forum as I have an MA2. But since the new firmware and app update I'm experiencing the same issue with the weak GPS signal warning. I don't think the bird is actually going into Atti mode as it flies perfect with no drift. Hoping it's just a software/firmware issue. This is what I posted in the MA2 forum.

"I’ve only flown once after the app and firmware updates. I had no issues with the updates including all three batteries and the remote. But after this update I got ten GPS signal weak switching to attitude mode warnings in just a ten minute flight. The bird flew no problems and didn’t appear to actually be switching as there was zero drift. She stopped and hovered just like normal when I told it to. I kept watching the gps signal indicator and it was always around 15 to 16. When I downloaded the flight I checked the gps signal it recorded and no sudden drops. It hardly fluctuated. I was flying over a frozen lake so very open sky. The bird operated like she always has (perfect) even with the warnings. I know this was just one flight. I‘ll try again when the weather gets better. I just have never had that warning ever flying my MA2 until the updates."

If GPS reception is so bad it doesn't even know where it is, yes. But usually falling into ATTI mode is due to compass errors, it takes quite a bit for GPS reception to completely disappear...
Perhaps outdoors you'll almost always have sufficient GPS, but indoors it's very common to not have sufficient GPS. If DJI drones see insufficient GPS, they treat as if no GPS.
So no, ATTI isn't necessarily more likely to be compass issues.

Can you make some noise of the formal DJI forum, I’ve posted twice and the moderators have not picked it up! The cynical part of me thinks there not addressing because they haven’t got a fix yet
so frustrating! they make it very difficult to contact them.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes