DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attitude Indicator??

A.O.

Reactions
So I'm going to change my stance on this whole Attitude Indicator thing. I liked the original one on my MA2, but do not like the "new improved " version on the latest update! Maybe I just don't understand.

Seems the old one told me where in the sky my drone was in relation to where I was standing, and in what direction it was pointing. But maybe that was not its intended use.

What EXACTLY does the indicator do for me? I know a lot of you like the new version. If I learn how it is SUPPOSED to work maybe I wont just ignore t like I am now.

Help me out here guys , Thanks.

Reactions: Philip America
I think most of the pilots that like it have already used it with the DJI Go 4 app, so it is familiar. The directional indicator that was removed only worked half of the time anyway. It got to be so unreliable that I totally ignored it. Hopefully this one will be more stable.

So I'm going to change my stance on this whole Attitude Indicator thing. I liked the original one on my MA2, but do not like the "new improved " version on the latest update! Maybe I just don't understand.

Seems the old one told me where in the sky my drone was in relation to where I was standing, and in what direction it was pointing. But maybe that was not its intended use.

What EXACTLY does the indicator do for me? I know a lot of you like the new version. If I learn how it is SUPPOSED to work maybe I wont just ignore t like I am now.

Help me out here guys , Thanks.
Your just into this thing way to hard...go fly your darn drone and forget about it for a bit. Truth be known in over 5 years of flying DJI, I have looked at that indicator maybe a handful of times. It is much easier to turn on route path tracing on your map...set your map to toggle full screen on one of your "C" buttons if you wish. Look at that and it will tell you exactly where your drone is not only in approximate distance in your area but in what approximate direction and what direction it is facing and your location if you lose sight of it....far too much posting of a feature that shouldn't really be needed IMHO if your flying VLOS and even if not. Your stressing over learning to fly by looking at your screen, and you should be looking at your aircraft...again IMHO...Go Fly...you need the stick time my good man :)

And again...trust your aircraft....get lost or confused..press and hold that RTH...she will come home ;) When in doubt left stick up, and left stick left/right find your house and fly it back manually.

Last edited:
I went for a quick flight today and got totally caught out by the DJI Fly update. I must disagree with @Repaid1 regarding the usefulness of the old direction indicator. I used it all the time to check that I was facing the drone properly, and correct antennae alignment makes all the difference in signal reliability. I don't like the fact that the new indicator is squeezed in the bottom left corner now, even if it provides the same information and more once I get used to it.

It felt like I was flying blind today without the old indicator. I'm sure I'll get used to the replacement, but it was not a nice surprise today.

There is a great tutorial video put out by a member of this forum that every drone pilot should watch and learn its lessons. He is a long time RC pilot (very skilled I might add) and though the aircraft used is not DJI it applies to all RC flying.

Spot on...VFR...the way "we" all learned...these young'uns :p As I have posted many times, learn to fly first and correctly. It seems those who aren't willing to put in the time are the ones who are complaining the most...not all...but some.....When you learn how to fly wrong (Easy) it's hard to go back and learn to flight right (Smartly). I wonder how "we" all learned to fly when we didn't have telemetry or instrumentation??? We must be magic :oops: Folks, the time it takes to do it right will be longer, but in a bad situation, you will be thanking those of us who wanted to correct the easier"Dark side" when things go south...and trust me...your not going to like the south flight (That means down for you not comprehending) ;)

Last edited:
I equate camera flying to a pilot sitting in the cockpit and looking straight forward and never doing a visual scan. It is the one thing I always disliked about flight sims. The difficulty of making a 360 scan in addition to the instrument scan.

I equate camera flying to a pilot sitting in the cockpit and looking straight forward and never doing a visual scan. It is the one thing I always disliked about flight sims. The difficulty of making a 360 scan in addition to the instrument scan.
You need more screens on your flight sim :p

Attachments

• Flight sim.jpg
    Flight sim.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Afghanpilot
when you first get your drone ,then you should go through all the seemingly boring flying moves ,till you get to do them without having to think about what the drone is going to do,when you move the sticks ,no matter which way you are pointing
it takes time ,but the rewards you get from it far outweigh ,the effort ,and if you have some time away from the sticks due to poor weather or some other reason ,just fly a battery doing those moves to get back up to speed,you will be surprised how much more enjoyable your drone flying will be

I think most of the pilots that like it have already used it with the DJI Go 4 app, so it is familiar. The directional indicator that was removed only worked half of the time anyway. It got to be so unreliable that I totally ignored it. Hopefully this one will be more stable.
It "looks" like the one on the Go 4 but does not work anything like it from what I can tell

when you first get your drone ,then you should go through all the seemingly boring flying moves ,till you get to do them without having to think about what the drone is going to do,when you move the sticks ,no matter which way you are pointing
it takes time ,but the rewards you get from it far outweigh ,the effort ,and if you have some time away from the sticks due to poor weather or some other reason ,just fly a battery doing those moves to get back up to speed,you will be surprised how much more enjoyable your drone flying will be
Yep, I go out and practice for a battery or two almost every day, weather permitting.. get a little bit better every time.

Reactions: old man mavic
I actually just side loaded the 1.2.2 apk on my s20 ultra instead of waiting for it to come out on the google play store... I actually really like this feature, its easy to toggle back and forth between the map and I never used the indicator because I didn't trust its accuracy. As long as this accuracy holds up and it seemed to in a short test flight im gona use this more...

Also, this further proves that the fly app is the future app for the Mavic 3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201229-104325.jpg
    Screenshot_20201229-104325.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 62
It "looks" like the one on the Go 4 but does not work anything like it from what I can tell
They work exactly the same. There is actually more information on the go fly compass, but they operate identically. I’ve just conducted a test flight using both apps.

They work exactly the same. There is actually more information on the go fly compass, but they operate identically. I just did a test flight using both apps.
ALL the u-tube videos I've seen on the Go4 app show the round field as stationary and the drone icon moving, in the FLY app the drone icon is stationary and the field spins around it.
I do not have anything with the Go 4 app so I've not seen it in person.

I actually just side loaded the 1.2.2 apk on my s20 ultra instead of waiting for it to come out on the google play store... I actually really like this feature, its easy to toggle back and forth between the map and I never used the indicator because I didn't trust its accuracy. As long as this accuracy holds up and it seemed to in a short test flight im gona use this more...

Also, this further proves that the fly app is the future app for the Mavic 3.
How does it prove that?

First, I shouldn't say prove just strongly assume so should correct myself. However, If you see some features from the go app that people originally complained about being missing being implemented into fly app I can guarantee you that from a development perspective the fly app is their new platform. They are actively adding enhancement to fly but not go. This is how we (in business of strategic software role outs) eventually sunset a legacy platform with a strong user base. It only makes sense from a resource and cost perspective. And my bet is the mavic 3 is their cut off point for GO beyond keeping it running with phone OS updates to a set date.

Been wrong before but I don't think I am.

OMM, I just posted a question about if latest version of DJI Fly (I'm a MM flyer) will have the attude indicator. Any clarity would be great. I think a lot of people are talking about the GO4 indicator. Thanks.

Reactions: old man mavic
There is a great tutorial video put out by a member of this forum that every drone pilot should watch and learn its lessons. He is a long time RC pilot (very skilled I might add) and though the aircraft used is not DJI it applies to all RC flying.

Very good!! gives me more to practice, been doing figure eights above me, now I can play with this a little! and also practice the first part!

Reactions: journo
OMM, I just posted a question about if latest version of DJI Fly (I'm a MM flyer) will have the attude indicator. Any clarity would be great. I think a lot of people are talking about the GO4 indicator. Thanks.
I answered you where it was in your post..go look at last post.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman