DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Audio with the Mavic 2 using the Smart Controller

The Flashman

Reactions
Good Afternoon everyone. I have a question that I have NOT been able to resolve myself so I am looking for ANYONE!!! who can come up with the answer. I recently purchased the Mavic 2 Pro and as well the Smart Controller. when I fly and video my waterfalls, of which is the MAIN reason I bought the Bird in the first place, I take the recordings out of the memory card and download them into my computer and I get NO sound once I start playing the video. NOW I know some of you are going to ask IF I checked the option in the controller under audio cache, and the answer to that question is YES I have.

What has me perplexed is that I DO!!! hear it if I play the video while on the controller. It is only once that I take it off of my memory card and download to the computer to play the video that I cannot get any sound.

I will await and Thank You for ANY!!!! input on this issue

Regards
Bill

Mavic 2 pro does not have any microphone and therefor it does not records any audio.
The video from M2P is without audio track.
The audio you hear on your controller is recorded on your controller only via its microphone.
If you want audio from the drone, you should attach a dictaphone/recorder.
I recently ordered one minimalistic (15 grams) but be ready, you will need to filter out the noise of propellers...
Good Afternoon everyone. I have a question that I have NOT been able to resolve myself so I am looking for ANYONE!!! who can come up with the answer. I recently purchased the Mavic 2 Pro and as well the Smart Controller. when I fly and video my waterfalls, of which is the MAIN reason I bought the Bird in the first place, I take the recordings out of the memory card and download them into my computer and I get NO sound once I start playing the video. NOW I know some of you are going to ask IF I checked the option in the controller under audio cache, and the answer to that question is YES I have.

What has me perplexed is that I DO!!! hear it if I play the video while on the controller. It is only once that I take it off of my memory card and download to the computer to play the video that I cannot get any sound.

Regards
Bill

Better yet take a field recorder with you and record ambient sounds you can strip into the video (waterfall sounds, etc.) in post. I see nobody yet doing this. All posted video I’ve seen has only music added. Many would be more interesting if some appropriate ambient sound also was added.
NB

Reactions: Horus303

Regards
Bill
Better yet take a field recorder with you and record ambient sounds you can strip into the video (waterfall sounds, etc.) in post. I see nobody yet doing this. All posted video I’ve seen has only music added. Many would be more interesting if some appropriate ambient sound also was added.
NB
Thanks Bob that was gonna be my next resolution to fixing the problem. AGAIN thank you for taking the time to reply .

Bill

NB

THAT is a very good idea that would greatly enhance captured video. Recording the sounds present in the scene never even occurred to me, despite having a ton of recording equipment. It would present a new level of creativity to projects. Thanks for the input.

You can't just record ambient sound and expect that to work in all scenarios. It would be fine for this case of waterfall video, but other video of say a landscape and then adding in the ambient sound of birds chirping in trees, would not match well at all, since you would not hear such sounds if you were up in the air flying. Using ambient sounds to add to your video has always been a good idea, but only when the scenes and the sounds match, other wise recording that ambient sound would be pointless.

Even if the Mavic had a microphone, the noise of the motors would drown out the waterfall sounds or at least be very distracting..

The 30 second video below is a result of a test I did with my old Phantom 4. I attached a small audio recorder to the underside of the drone and recorded a very quick take off and climb to level flight at 150 feet.. I synced up the audio and video in post. It's pretty noisy. The M2 will probably make a little less noise but will still be loud enough to cause problems with recording.

This got me thinking.. I've got to do a test like this again with my M2. Can't today. It's way too windy.

well, this here is an attempt, but could be done much, much more better. The recording device should never been "hard attached" to the body of the craft (and this one is - we can clearly hear all vibrations) - rather than that it should be attached in kind of foam cage and also the MIC orientation makes a lot.
with a good attachment and noise samples, one can make ambient noise recordings good enough to put under music - im sure
i will need to come back to this as soon as my mini sound recorder come to inbox and i make some recording with it.
Even if the Mavic had a microphone, the noise of the motors would drown out the waterfall sounds or at least be very distracting..

The 30 second video below is a result of a test I did with my old Phantom 4. I attached a small audio recorder to the underside of the drone and recorded a very quick take off and climb to level flight at 150 feet.. I synced up the audio and video in post. It's pretty noisy. The M2 will probably make a little less noise but will still be loud enough to cause problems with recording.

This got me thinking.. I've got to do a test like this again with my M2. Can't today. It's way too windy.

If you think about it, even if you can filter out the prop noise there will be wind noise and even if you avoid that, what actual sound are you expecting to hear during the flight, that would add any additional enhancement to the actual finished product? Other than a waterfall or breaking surf, I can't think of any sound that would improve a visual of an air shot other than well chosen music.

I also can't think of a single Hollywood film made, whereby they had an aerial shot and music along with outside ambient noise/sounds, other than the great sound of a radial engine running with propeller slap. Therefore all this discussion, other than the original waterfall sounds, is really for little to no benefit of a finished film.

im going to track racing motorbikes and old racing cars - quite loud machines - that is the reason i ordered the recorder... i am also planing to make som fly-bys and pass-againsts... the actual sound there can improve the dramatic moment... and these will happen very often far from the controller...

Other scenario is filming seagull colonies - they are very loud as well and waves breaking on rocks...
And Ships signal trumpets... (mostly a kilometer+ from the coast)...

If you think about it, even if you can filter out the prop noise there will be wind noise and even if you avoid that, what actual sound are you expecting to hear during the flight, that would add any additional enhancement to the actual finished product? Other than a waterfall or breaking surf, I can't think of any sound that would improve a visual of an air shot other than well chosen music.

I also can't think of a single Hollywood film made, whereby they had an aerial shot and music along with outside ambient noise/sounds, other than the great sound of a radial engine running with propeller slap. Therefore all this discussion, other than the original waterfall sounds, is really for little to no benefit of a finished film.

Last edited:
im going to track racing motorbikes and old racing cars - quite loud machines - that is the reason i ordered the recorder... i am also planing to make som fly-bys and pass-againsts... the actual sound there can improve the dramatic moment... and these will happen very often far from the controller...

Other scenario is filming seagull colonies - they are very loud as well and waves breaking on rocks...
And Ships signal trumpets... (mostly a kilometer+ from the coast)...

Now the motorbikes would be a valid reason to use the actual recording if you were close to them. If you were higher and away from them somewhat, then recording off camera/drone ambient sounds of them and over dubbing later would probably be easier and work just as well for the viewer, rather than trying to filter out your prop and motor sounds from the drone to try and pick up the engine sounds of the bikes during flight/filming.

Your seagull and waves breaking scenario is another perfect example of not recoding in flight but rather use a separate recording and overdub later in post, because no one is going to know the difference.

Your seagull and waves breaking scenario is another perfect example of not recoding in flight but rather use a separate recording and overdub later in post, because no one is going to know the difference.

Ste seagull colonies concentrating mostly on this little island, how you want me to get the recorder here: Google Maps ???

• Haha
NB

Here's a video I shot of the local fireworks show, with audio recorded to the Go 4 app synced with the 4k video from the SD card in the Mavic:

Yeah, an google will find an audio where seagulls screams, the waves made by a passing ship breaks on the rocks, perfectly synced and the ship trumpet signals... [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
I betcha Google could find you some audio clips to download...

/soundbible.com/grab.php?id=2193&type=mp3[/URL]>

Took about 20” to find this one.

NB

NB
I agree. a dedicated sound recorder would be better than just use your phone for recording the sounds since you can stand clear and nor have your controller sounds ruin the video!

Mavic 2 pro does not have any microphone and therefor it does not records any audio.
The video from M2P is without audio track.
The audio you hear on your controller is recorded on your controller only via its microphone.
If you want audio from the drone, you should attach a dictaphone/recorder.
I recently ordered one minimalistic (15 grams) but be ready, you will need to filter out the noise of propellers...
if you use the cached video from the smart controller would it come out with the sound track recorded? worth checking, even though I am pretty sure it will come out with all the controller beeps and voice messages and will be a mood killer in a chill video with water falls!
an external dedicated audio recorder would be my first choice, or find a generic water falls sound effect on an audio website!

Here's a video I shot of the local fireworks show, with audio recorded to the Go 4 app synced with the 4k video from the SD card in the Mavic:

Your audio is clean - Do you mind sharing your process? My audio comes from my phone with a bit of drone prop noise.

Ste seagull colonies concentrating mostly on this little island, how you want me to get the recorder here: Google Maps ???
There is loads of seagull sound effect you can get on line. No one in the world could tell that a sound effect ws not the actual sound of the seagulls you may have been filming. Why would you think you need to record the actual seagulls you are filming?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk