DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian drone pilot fined AUD$7750 for flying illegally

Good to know, just have to hope it was enough to be seen by the right section of the hobbiest flyers to take notice.
I'm not into mainstream myself (TV, radio), but do get loads of news online.
Can't recall seeing it.

I did just find a report googling news (casa drone pilot fined 7750) on this . . .

Maybe it was local news reports ?
I see you're on the east coast (GC ?)
Just to the north of Brisbane

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Just to the north of Brisbane

Cool mate, love it up there, born and bred NQ, but a crow eater a little longer now (17/40).
Be up again tomorrow for a few weeks work in my brothers biz, looking forward to 10c warmer :)
Will bring the Spark as I only took 7kg cabin, but should get a decent fly or two somewhere / sometime.

Reactions: PTBperegrine
Cool mate, love it up there, born and bred NQ, but a crow eater a little longer now (17/40).
Be up again tomorrow for a few weeks work in my brothers biz, looking forward to 10c warmer :)
Will bring the Spark as I only took 7kg cabin, but should get a decent fly or two somewhere / sometime.
I'm not a big fan of the summer heat as I ride a motorcycle with all the protective gear. That being said, I love the amazing roads/scenery in Northeast NSW and southeast Qld. Enjoy your trip. :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I am new the the drone flying but I reckon I spent just as much time researching the CASA rules as much as I did about what drone to get. And I was surprised at first at the restrictions but all of which very understandable. I haven't experienced anyone come up to me yet either just interested or complaining but I'm tempted to print out a cheat sheet version of the CASA rules to show them if they do ever question my rights to fly. As a recreational flyer I tend to pick the quiet secluded areas anyway.

Thank you - This subject is timely as I found myself in a similar circumstance to some of other forum members when people turned up.
I had ventured out to the end of a narrow path on a rock formed breakwater for a quick flight and yes there were a couple of people on the path but some 150m distance from me, sufficient in my mind to have a quick 2-3 minute flight.
However by the time I set up and started flying a couple of people had arrived and then I had an audience, some favourable but I remember one quite disgruntled stating "**** annoying noise".
I recognized, with more people approaching that I needed to land as quickly as practical so sought their indulgence and to please standback some distance while I landed.
I didn't enjoy the experience or the pressure so have thought about how the circumstance had developed and how I could avoid the issue in the future. I recognize there was a few simple things I should have/ could have done to avoid the problem. Common sense really.
(1) Thoroughly assess the site first before flying for all potential issues, including with people. For example in my circumstance there were several access points to the pathway I was not aware of which meant people got to where I was quicker than I was expecting.
(2) Establish a better time when I could be assured no one would likely be around and recognize alternative takeoff and landing locations ..and as it turned out no one seemed to use the pathway first thing in the morning when there was also better light for filming.
(3) In this same circumstance what I should have done was to walk away and land in a clear area.

You live and learn... but some just live

Reactions: Dan C
what I should have done was to walk away and land in a clear area

That's a good way to go in this scenario, keep it up a little high (to limit nosie attraction) and 30m away laterally to others, walk along with it as you fly to somewhere clear to finish up.
Why I get everything ready, then put any loose stuff (filter case, cables or whatever) into my drone pack, and it's on my back then.
So I can just move if I need to (or want to) during a flight.

Reactions: Dan C
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique