DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Australian Silo Art

SkyeHigh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
What do you do with a giant plain white grain silo? Well, paint it of course.

Silo Art has taken off big time in Australia especially in Western Australia and South Australia but more are appearing throughout Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. Drive trails are becoming increasingly popular and provide a great way to take a break from the long, long drives across the country.

Shooting from a drone, in this case a Mavic 2 Pro, makes it far easier to reduce wide-angle distortion inherent in ground-based shots.

Attachments

• Silo_Cowell_SA.jpg
    Silo_Cowell_SA.jpg
    876.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Silo_Ravensthorpe_WA.jpg
    Silo_Ravensthorpe_WA.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Silo_Tumby_Bay_SA.jpg
    Silo_Tumby_Bay_SA.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 60
  • Silo_Wirrabara_SA.jpg
    Silo_Wirrabara_SA.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 61
Great shots of some fantastic artwork Thumbswayup

There are some amazing artists out there both Australian and International who have been invited to paint the silos. Just have to watch out for the Galahs who aren’t too keen on the noise from the mechanical flying bird.

Nice!! I guess with some imagination anything can be painted. These artist sure know what they're doing!

This was on the ABC (Aussie Broadcasting Commission) website the other day, and interesting read on how they do it !

I've videoed / photographed (I think) 4 silos now, many more out there.

This was on the ABC (Aussie Broadcasting Commission) website the other day, and interesting read on how they do it !

I've videoed / photographed (I think) 4 silos now, many more out there.

We were travelling around Australia for a year and visiting the silos whenever we were nearby. Unfortunately a family illness meant we had to cut the trip short and head over to the UK at short notice only to get stuck there for 10-months.

Planning on continuing the journey and seeking out more on the many Silo Art Trails in the Spring.

A surprising number of the artists have conquered their fear of heights after being perched on cherry pickers for several weeks. Many are 30-metres tall. Much happier to let my drone do the height bit.

Whenever we passed a plain white silo in Western Australia or South Australia we would both shout out, “B O R I N G”.

Reactions: micinqld
The SA, Vic, and NSW ones now appearing seem to be very artistic.
From what I've seen of a few WA ones, they are more abstract ones from what I've seen.

I've just been travelling sometimes and been surprised by one in the middle of nowhere, some small town.
Some aren't well publicised.

Cherry picker work is relatively easy to get used to, of course some people can't get through fear of heights while others can. (I've done a fair bit of abseiling work on silos, huge things needing sealing many years ago, many months of work.)

Great road trip mate, love touring myself, usually only for 3 - 5 weeks or so for me though.

Simply awesome!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe