DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto takeoff to 17 feet. Calibration?

Flyguy95r

Reactions
Hey guys brand new Mavic pilot here. I noticed whenever I use auto takeoff instead of going to the "4.7" feet listed on the go 4 app it actually climbs to 17 feet and then begins its altitude hold there. Now, it's not the biggest of deals as I don't rely on auto takeoff however I am concerned that it might mean something isn't calibrated correctly and worry that it may be a symptom of an unknown larger problem. As of now I haven't noticed any other strange behavior so maybe not, but is there a way to set auto takeoff altitude?

Reactions: beerguy
That'll happen when you have the Precision Landing feature enabled in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Precision-Landing.jpg

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Thanks so much for the screen shots. Amazing community

That'll happen when you have the Precision Landing feature enabled in DJI GO.

View attachment 14776
I just noticed I have the same issue. Why having precision landing have any effect of auto take off going to 17'?
Just so I understand

Thanks

Becasue it takes photos of the ground at different heights to assist in landing on the spot. Wouldn't have a wide enough view of the zone if it stayed at the standard height.

I just noticed I have the same issue. Why having precision landing have any effect of auto take off going to 17'?
In order for precision landing to work properly, you need to take off and ascend straight up about 32 feet (10 meters) over the takeoff point. I'm not sure why DJI chose to tie that feature into the auto takeoff feature. It seems kind of dangerous to me (even more so since the auto takeoff message does not state the increased altitude).

In order for precision landing to work properly, you need to take off and ascend straight up about 32 feet (10 meters) over the takeoff point. I'm not sure why DJI chose to tie that feature into the auto takeoff feature. It seems kind of dangerous to me (even more so since the auto takeoff message does not state the increased altitude).

I think any kind of auto take off is dangerous. Better to never use it at all. I wish I could get rid of the auto take off 'button' on the screen. It should be only available in beginner mode, unless you decide for yourself to have it in advanced mode as well. Auto landing the same thing. I never trust any bird to land itself. For emergencies, the RTH procedure auto landing, is enough. You should have a clear and clean take off and landing spot anyway. Precision landing would be nice if the MP would be able to charge itself on a charging landing pad, for more autonomy. but since that's not the case I don't see the need for it, and I would never trust it 100%.

Reactions: Big Fil

Exactly. A nub would hit that button in house and maybe fly it up and hit ceiling.

I think any kind of auto take off is dangerous. Better to never use it at all. I wish I could get rid of the auto take off 'button' on the screen. It should be only available in beginner mode, unless you decide for yourself to have it in advanced mode as well. Auto landing the same thing. I never trust any bird to land itself. For emergencies, the RTH procedure auto landing, is enough. You should have a clear and clean take off and landing spot anyway. Precision landing would be nice if the MP would be able to charge itself on a charging landing pad, for more autonomy. but since that's not the case I don't see the need for it, and I would never trust it 100%.

Can't agree more. I wish they'd remove auto takeoff completely. It conditions people to think the only way to takeoff/land is with some button on the app. There is a perfect example in the linked thread.

How to force stop the Mavic?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+