DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Awwww man... Drone denied

The laws are changing to allow homeless camps.. get this.. off topic so i’ll keep it quick, but if a person is homeless they can basically live on public land but if they arent homeless, they cant. Ughhh what..

Reactions: Former Member
Per the FAA, the municipality can place restrictions on where you take off and land. But they can't (legally) place restrictions on where you fly. That's strictly the Federal government's job (Congress and the FAA).

Therefore, that sign should say "Taking off or landing drones is PROHIBITED". If you take off and land from a nearby location that isn't covered by the ordinance then you can fly over that park all day long and be within your legal rights. Just as long as you aren't violating any other law (like harassing endangered wildlife or being a public nuisance).

A city in the eastern U.S. enacted a similar ordinance for their whole town (above all publicly owned property). A photographer sued and successfully beat the city. Only Congress and the FAA can regulate U.S. airspace, period.

Mark

Question, if we hand launch, instead of from the ground, will that comply with Federal law and prevent a penalty from local rules?

If you are standing on the property covered by the ordinance at the time you land or take off, you are in violation of the ordinance. It matters not whether the drone touches the property. YOU are on the property.

Mark

Did you just round the $100-$300 fine you owed to $200 and deliver it by hand? :D
Poor ducks... I dont get that rule when;
A new sign at my favorite local park for flying :-(
4aZ2pe1.jpg

My son spotted the sign, after I had just flown through three batteries with the new Mavic Pro 2 . . . .
This was taken from Wikipedia. It's obvious what the problem is.

Attachments

• Allegheny Political Percentage.png
    Allegheny Political Percentage.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 67
Per the FAA, the municipality can place restrictions on where you take off and land. But they can't (legally) place restrictions on where you fly. That's strictly the Federal government's job (Congress and the FAA).

Therefore, that sign should say "Taking off or landing drones is PROHIBITED". If you take off and land from a nearby location that isn't covered by the ordinance then you can fly over that park all day long and be within your legal rights. Just as long as you aren't violating any other law (like harassing endangered wildlife or being a public nuisance).

A city in the eastern U.S. enacted a similar ordinance for their whole town (above all publicly owned property). A photographer sued and successfully beat the city. Only Congress and the FAA can regulate U.S. airspace, period.

Mark

Just curious, what are the FAA's rules and limitations about flying a drone over people or structures, and/or private property?

Choose remote locations to fly from. Most parks prohibit remote controlled vehicles. It’s best to launch from remote areas to avoid attention.

Choose remote locations to fly from. Most parks prohibit remote controlled vehicles. It’s best to launch from remote areas to avoid attention.

Clarification: Parks put up signs to prohibit drone use but, in the vast majority of cases, those signs have no basis in Federal law. (Only Congress and the FAA can regulate airspace in the U.S.) At least, not law that can be enforced in court.

The question becomes: Is it worth the hassle of fighting a citation in court if you could have simply picked a different spot to fly from?

Mark

At the end of the day, this whole scenario is one of my biggest issues with owning a drone. It's just so difficult for well-meaning individuals who are not out to break laws, flout regulations, or generally harass others to simply go out and enjoy their use. The number of acceptable places to fly without fear is almost nil and the ones that are there seem constantly endangered. Furthermore, the places that most would want to fly for photography/videography are typically the ones first zoned off for off-limits flying...practically either forcing bad behavior or complete abandonment without any option for anything in between. Unfortunately, with the absolute idiocy of general society these days (there's no grey areas...people are so brainless that they've resolved themselves to be fully one way or the absolute opposite), there's not much hope for improvement in my opinion. Oh well...it's just sad in the end.

Id like to read that ordinance. They cant control air space, only feds can, so while they might be able to say u cannot deploy ur drone from that land, once in the air, they have no control.
Cool! Take them to court after the park ranger with a glock on his/her hip confiscates your drone.

At the end of the day, this whole scenario is one of my biggest issues with owning a drone. It's just so difficult for well-meaning individuals who are not out to break laws, flout regulations, or generally harass others to simply go out and enjoy their use. The number of acceptable places to fly without fear is almost nil and the ones that are there seem constantly endangered. Furthermore, the places that most would want to fly for photography/videography are typically the ones first zoned off for off-limits flying...practically either forcing bad behavior or complete abandonment without any option for anything in between. Unfortunately, with the absolute idiocy of general society these days (there's no grey areas...people are so brainless that they've resolved themselves to be fully one way or the absolute opposite), there's not much hope for improvement in my opinion. Oh well...it's just sad in the end.
Out in the west we have quite a bit of BLM administered land and National Forests. We/you can fly in those. For those places around you visit www.publiclands.org

I like that!
Although, the following line may still let them get by..
"However, as indicated, they may generally determine the location of aircraft landing sites through their land use powers.":

They can't stop me from launching from outside the park and flying over it, but they likely CAN stop me from launching and landing within the park.
Not if you hand launch & hand catch. I wonder??????? Chuck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21