DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Awwww man... Drone denied

Reactions: SprayingMango
How
A new sign at my favorite local park for flying :-(
4aZ2pe1.jpg

My son spotted the sign, after I had just flown through three batteries with the new Mavic Pro 2 . . . .
long before they put up a sign to say "don't walk on the grass"?

Love all your signs, pictures, and stat boards. You're right! (Within the USA) the FAA determines the control of airspace. The FAA also makes it ever so easy for any person or entity to make the area under their control a NFZ, schools, businesses, residential,. Which in the past I have read stories of so called drone pilots making the homes as NFZ to keep out other possible intruders. Funny thing is, if they fly in their own yard, they violate the NFZ as well. The OP on this issue, I believe, most likely made efforts to determine before hand as to permissible flying or not, often signage is sporadically posted and often times well inside the park. Yes, the flight takeoff and landing must occur outside the park to be legit.

I have another question to ponder . . . If I place my drone outside the park and takeoff, then fly said drone into the airspace over the park, is it acceptable for me to come into the said park while maintaining flight control of the drone? . . . or must I remain outside the park?

I like that!
Although, the following line may still let them get by..
"However, as indicated, they may generally determine the location of aircraft landing sites through their land use powers.":

They can't stop me from launching from outside the park and flying over it, but they likely CAN stop me from launching and landing within the park.
The state of Virginia has a law against local governments creating Drone Laws. Only the FAA and The Virginia Department of Aviation.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Same thing happening in San Francisco - apologies for the external link but here's the thread I started on this happening there :

Be careful on this one! It's as easy to be mistaken on FAA airspace classes as it is JURISDICTIONAL government territory. The Golden Gate Park is one area, but adjacent to it is the Golden Gate National Recreational Area - a HUGE CO$TLY NO-NO for drones:
No-Fly Zone: Drones Prohibited in Golden Gate National Parks

Id like to read that ordinance. They cant control air space, only feds can, so while they might be able to say u cannot deploy ur drone from that land, once in the air, they have no control.

They can and do regulate and enforce the ground where you take off and land. If you use a drone to chase ducks and geese they can fine you for that, too. Don’t get too comfortable believing you are immune from local regulations because you are in the air.

And no feeding the ducks either. What is this world coming to? :)

From the ordinance: "Picnicking, swimming, tennis, golf, skating, bicycling, skiing, sledding, baseball, softball, basketball, soccer, football, boating, fishing, horseback riding, horseshoe pitching, model powered aircraft flying, rollerblading, skateboarding and related and similar forms of recreation are permitted only in areas designed for such use, and in no case shall such use be permitted in areas where park facilities or areas may be damaged.

All you can do in this park is meditate it seems.

Reactions: DanMan32
I'm just going to ignore your foray into an inappropriate political discussion and address your reference to the ducks. Feeding the ducks: (a) creates a nuisance and (b) is unhealthy for the ducks (since virtually everyone feeds them bread). Why you should never ever feed bread to a duck

Did I miss something? I didn't see any political comment.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
In my state CT, they always have money for new signs n fences. They have no money for schools unless you want to take a loan. Lol. Let's take our parks back from the dog poopers and make them a place for flying and fun.

I live it CT also, did you know that it's prohibited to fly in any of our State parks?

New Canaan, CT has a park drones can fly in. it is called wavenly park. New Canaan rc society made it happen.

My hometown in GA approved a similar ordinance last year.

I scheduled a meeting with the City Manager to professionally explain that the feds have sole jurisdiction over management of the national air space and a few related topics. I offered to brief the City Council and Chief of Police, and he scheduled it for the next City Council meeting.

The presentation lasted about 25 minutes with a few questions.

They didn't rescind or amend the ordinance, but at a subsequent event chose not to attempt to enforce it either - I informed the City Manager that I was going to operate my drone in support of a public event over city property, was Part 107 qualified, my drone was registered, I'd follow all FAA rules, was insured, and would identify myself to the on-site police officer in the event he needed to contact me.

It went off without a hitch.Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.41.58 PM.jpg

A new sign at my favorite local park for flying :-(
4aZ2pe1.jpg

My son spotted the sign, after I had just flown through three batteries with the new Mavic Pro 2 . . . .
Its because of the waterfowl. They do this in florida. During the change in weather the fowl swarm, they dont want to scare them from the habitat. I understand this. I enjoy the hunt of a fowl as much as I do flying my drone and would hate to loose my drone to hitting a waterfowl, the bird WILL win.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark