DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

B&W Farming: Help me fix my flicker

BingErr

Reactions
Posted this in DJI Forums and they said it's because I have "antiflicker" turned on, or it's my framerate. Do you guys have any ideas on this flicker? How about any ideas to fix it in post?

Posted this in DJI Forums and they said it's because I have "antiflicker" turned on, or it's my framerate. Do you guys have any ideas on this flicker? How about any ideas to fix it in post?

Did you adhere to the 180 shutter rule? 1/50th of a second at 24 fps, or 1/60th of a second at 30 fps.

Personally I thought this was a great piece in B/W. Music, concept. Yet I wanted some close up details. Hands on the steering wheel, passing over a GoPro, dust, churning up the soil, old rusty farm face (to make it personal). This really has potential for a thought-out re-due.

One of the most hardest things to do is keeping things simple yet keeping people engaged.
Beats trying to pack 10lbs of crap in a 1lb box any day of the week!

WELL DONE.... now go get the B roll

THIS VID MIGHT HELP

Last edited:
Did you adhere to the 180 shutter rule? 1/50th of a second at 24 fps, or 1/60th of a second at 30 fps.

Personally I thought this was a great piece in B/W. Music, concept. Yet I wanted some close up details. Hands on the steering wheel, passing over a GoPro, dust, churning up the soil, old rusty farm face (to make it personal). This really has potential for a thought-out re-due.

One of the most hardest things to do is keeping things simple yet keeping people engaged.
Beats trying to pack 10lbs of crap in a 1lb box any day of the week!

WELL DONE.... now go get the B roll

THIS VID MIGHT HELP
I know the shutter rule but never actually use it when I'm filming. Need to get more comfortable with it. Thanks for your help.

And yes, so B roll would really be excellent to add into the drone shots. This day wasn't planned at all so I didn't feel right asking him to stop plowing just so I could add some cameras to the rig. But it's an excellent idea to plan for harvest season. Thanks for the great suggestion.

I know the shutter rule but never actually use it when I'm filming. Need to get more comfortable with it. Thanks for your help.

And yes, so B roll would really be excellent to add into the drone shots. This day wasn't planned at all so I didn't feel right asking him to stop plowing just so I could add some cameras to the rig. But it's an excellent idea to plan for harvest season. Thanks for the great suggestion.

dude That’s way improved over the last video I saw of yours! Great work! I don’t really notice much flickering over then some high but but rate areas and to an extent that’s kinda the limitation of Youtube.

In another thread we found that uploading a ProRes or NDxHQ file to youtube helps because the youtube compression is able to more efficiently compress a higher bit rate original then an already compressed file.

Try rendering in NDxHQ (if PC) or ProRes 422 (if Mac note: NDxHQ also works fine with Mac but ProRes 422 might render faster) and upload that to YouTube. It will be a massive file so have plenty of storage space available and it will also take a long time to upload to Youtube depending on your internet speed

dude That’s way improved over the last video I saw of yours! Great work! I don’t really notice much flickering over then some high but but rate areas and to an extent that’s kinda the limitation of Youtube.

In another thread we found that uploading a ProRes or NDxHQ file to youtube helps because the youtube compression is able to more efficiently compress a higher bit rate original then an already compressed file.

Try rendering in NDxHQ (if PC) or ProRes 422 (if Mac note: NDxHQ also works fine with Mac but ProRes 422 might render faster) and upload that to YouTube. It will be a massive file so have plenty of storage space available and it will also take a long time to upload to Youtube depending on your internet speed
Its worth a try if I can't eliminate it in the settings. THANKS for the info.

You are using premier pro right? Do you have any “auto” color, levels, brightness etc anything “auto” in your color grade?

I notice that Premier Pro and After Effects’ “auto” grades by default treat every frame like it’s the only frame it’s suppose to care about so it will adjust each frame to this way. The problem is each frame is not independent and when it gets played back the changing of the tone and everything changes too quickly caussingbwhat looks like flicker. To resolve this there’s a setting on each auto adjustment called “temporal smoothing” and “detect scene.” Select detect scene and increase temporal smoothing to like 2-3 seconds. This causes the auto effect to transition smoothly no more often the 2-3 seconds or when it notices the scene has changed and therefore the color from the last few seconds doesn’t apply.

I don’t know if it’s in Premier Pro but it’s for sure in After Effects and you can make a dynamic link to your Premier Pro timeline but there’s an effect called “sub pixel motion blur” or something along those lines. This will bail you out since you didn’t use filters (Btw get some filters use them and you aren’t allowed to have another question about video quality till you have them and use them ?.) this is a resource intensive effect (which is why you should use filters instead) but it will simulate the motion blur as if you had been using them.

So the last one as a last resort unless you have a powerful computer.

You are using premier pro right? Do you have any “auto” color, levels, brightness etc anything “auto” in your color grade?

I notice that Premier Pro and After Effects’ “auto” grades by default treat every frame like it’s the only frame it’s suppose to care about so it will adjust each frame to this way. The problem is each frame is not independent and when it gets played back the changing of the tone and everything changes too quickly caussingbwhat looks like flicker. To resolve this there’s a setting on each auto adjustment called “temporal smoothing” and “detect scene.” Select detect scene and increase temporal smoothing to like 2-3 seconds. This causes the auto effect to transition smoothly no more often the 2-3 seconds or when it notices the scene has changed and therefore the color from the last few seconds doesn’t apply.

I don’t know if it’s in Premier Pro but it’s for sure in After Effects and you can make a dynamic link to your Premier Pro timeline but there’s an effect called “sub pixel motion blur” or something along those lines. This will bail you out since you didn’t use filters (Btw get some filters use them and you aren’t allowed to have another question about video quality till you have them and use them ?.) this is a resource intensive effect (which is why you should use filters instead) but it will simulate the motion blur as if you had been using them.

So the last one as a last resort unless you have a powerful computer.

I've got a HP Z600 Workstation 2X X5650 Six Core 2.67Ghz with 3Gb GTX GPU. It's pretty decent at rendering 4k. Thanks for the tips. I did notice the flicker before I added the effects. I'll try these tips in post to get rid of the flicker. THANKS

Last edited:
I've got a HP Z600 Workstation 2X X5650 Six Core 2.67Ghz with 3Gb GTX GPU. It's pretty decent at rendering 4k. Thanks for the tips. I did notice the flicker BEFORE I added the effects. I'll try these tips in post to get rid of the flicker. THANKS

That’s plenty of fire power try the sub pixel motion blur. That’ll do the trick. Let me know how it goes

Reactions: BingErr

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre