DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backpacking with M3...

OP provided the pack he purchased, and it looks awesome (Aircontact Pro 60+15). Definitely meant for major backpacking excursions or even a through-hike. I'd put the basics for a flight in the 'brain' on top, and chargers etc. in other parts of the pack. If planning on using it often, I won't even case the drone. For a job where I needed to rapidly take multiple photos in succession, I'd kept my Mavic Pro in a cotton bag with a draw string. That's not obviously meant for long term protection, just had to be mindful of my step and pack placement.

View attachment 156932View attachment 156933

This is what I mentioned in post #13, whatever pack / system the OP is wanting for a drone, it must either :

Fit inside the main pack easily accessible.
. . . or
Carry a secondary day pack that clips onto the main pack harness, and can also be used as a day pack for excursions.

I personally would go for a smaller drone (Mini 2 / M3P or such size), in a front fitted day pack, waterproof if possible, and keep it separate.
Using a front fitted pack has this big access advantage, but at the cost of some vision loss directly in front, or mobility issues if climbing on steep trails, stairs etc.

It takes some getting used to carrying on the front, but there are generally 2 types of use for a backpack, when referring to backpacking travel.

Backpacking as in the general travel style, one bag (or a second light small pack as above), lightweight travel, regular travel means like flights, ship, train etc.
Usually, this style of travel uses a soft front load pack, like a suitcase, but has the harness to carry like a backpack.

Backpacking as in backcountry hiking, bushwalking, tramping, etc.
The pack shown above is more for this purpose, as it's harder to load and travel regularly with, but better in foul weather and easier to keep things dry, and more comfortable carrying in rougher conditions, longer distances.

This Deuter pack is quite good capacity, so if the OP travels light, the a small drone setup under the lid might work fine for them.
I just think an M3 will be too large for easy use and carrying capability on either type of trip.

Last edited:
Something else you may want to consider is - what are the drone rules where you want to travel? I would also suggest a Mini 3 Pro with RC. It has a very good camera for one. And being under 250 grams for the craft, the craft and controller combined is lighter than the M3 by itself. Also, under 250 makes it far more regulation friendly in more locations. This makes hiking easier, or able to carry more batteries! :p

This is what I mentioned in post #13, whatever pack / system the OP is wanting for a drone, it must either :

Fit inside the main pack easily accessible.
. . . or
Carry a secondary day pack that clips onto the main pack harness, and can also be used as a day pack for excursions.

I personally would go for a smaller drone (Mini 3 / M3P or such size), in a front fitted day pack, waterproof if possible, and keep it separate.
Using a front fitted pack has this big access advantage, but at the cost of some vision loss directly in front, or mobility issues if climbing on steep trails, stairs etc.

It takes some getting used to carrying on the front, but there are generally 2 types of use for a backpack, when referring to backpacking travel.

Backpacking as in the general travel style, one bag (or a second light small pack as above), lightweight travel, regular travel means like flights, ship, train etc.
Usually, this style of travel uses a soft front load pack, like a suitcase, but has the harness to carry like a backpack.

Backpacking as in backcountry hiking, bushwalking, tramping, etc.
The pack shown above is more for this purpose, as it's harder to load and travel regularly with, but better in foul weather and easier to keep things dry, and more comfortable carrying in rougher conditions, longer distances.

This Deuter pack is quite good capacity, so if the OP travels light, the a small drone setup under the lid might work fine for them.
I just think an M3 will be too large for easy use and carrying capability on either type of trip.
I noted your post, and agree with using a smaller drone. On the other hand I also noted OP was already invested in the pack and drone, and the size and type of pack was informative to the kind of trip being planned. I get it, there are different types of backpacking, with different needs. I have a small collection of nice packs (I'm fond of Mystery Ranch), and maybe only two are used for work. The rest are recreational. They are all for travel of some kind. I use a hard case 90 percent of the time for drones and DSLR, but I have different styles of cases as well. So agreed, all depends on the intended use and goals.

They only reason I'm holding back on getting a Mini 3P as opposed to a new lens or other gadget? I wouldn't use my M3 as much! I also like the extra weight of the M3 in places like a canyon or narrow valleys...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
My kids gave me the Lowepro Droneguard BP250 which nicely and safely holds my Mavic3 & 2 extra batteries as well as my TripleTek pro 8. The compartments are Velcro configured to allow for your own needs. It sells now on Amazon for ~$180.
I am wondering if i could fit there mavic 3 classic (only one battery) and mini 3 pro with 2 extra batteries. Is IT possibile to fit those two drones in main section od this backpack?

My kids gave me the Lowepro Droneguard BP250 . . . The compartments are Velcro configured to allow for your own needs.

I am wondering if i could fit there mavic 3 classic (only one battery) and mini 3 pro with 2 extra batteries. Is IT possibile to fit those two drones in main section of this backpack?

You should be able to, as JoelP mentioned, the velcro compartments are entirely configurable.
It all boils down to what else you want to fit in there, of course.

Here is the LowePro website page for the pack, photos show how adaptable this is . . .

DroneGuard BP 250

In the photo showing the main compartment open, the M1P in there is not how I put mine in there.
I put mine in that position more or less, but sideways, so it's orientated the way it flies when being carried.
It just suits my other item fitting and feel more natural to slide in there.

Besides my M1P, I do carry 5 extra batteries, iPad mini 4, an assortment of cables, standard M1P controller (not sure how the different M3 controller would work with the special stick protection there for the M1 version), GoPro, ND filter packs, several sets of spare props, 2 small battery banks, micro SD cards, various knick knacks in the flymore kit.

There are 2 main top zippered sections, I put day walk things in the top compartments when using it outdoors, lunch, water, when travelling the charger setup goes in there, and travel docs.
I use an iPad mini 4 for controller device which goes into a DJI aircraft sleeve, and then into the padded laptop sleeve.

If the M3 and M3P use the same controller (?) it'd be handy, I feel you drones and batteries should go ok in the main hardshell section, and controller in the larger top zipped area.

There are 2 generous (open top load) side pockets, good for water bottles / umbrella etc, but could be used for batteries in zip lock bags.

The phone pocket on the front harness is handy for that, but it'd be hard to get larger models in, my iPhone SE fits fine in a silicone cover.

Reactions: MGVision
Wow, thanks so far... lovely community!

Sorry, i was off for quite a while - had some serious issues in RL.
Trip is still on the list and I couldnt do anything for planning. (We are going to Vietnam)

I read all things you guys wrote and I have to admit, maybe M3 is too big to carry easily in a backpack.
We are not that kind of backpacker walking in bushes and so on - we travel from hostel to hostel and leaving the big one in the hostel and having a lightweight backpack in the front.

The thing is, I'm afraid of purchasing a Mini 3 Pro and never using my M3 again :D. :(

Still missing a "lightweight" / small backpack (for all kind of stuffs, for small daytrips) and trying to figure out what to do!!

I've found that a small rigid(ish)case for just the drone, another for just the controller, and batteries in individual LiPO battery bags works for me. It means more objects to keep track of, but gives me a lot more flexibility in loading my backpack.

I tried a single case for all the drone gear, and it made loading everything else in the backpack trickier because it was one large inflexible object.

Edit: this is the kind of case I use for the drone.

A decent pair of socks do the trick. 1 for the drone and 1 for the controller

ur,socks_flatlay_medium,square,600x600-bg,f8f8f8.1.jpg

The thing is, I'm afraid of purchasing a Mini 3 Pro and never using my M3 again :D. :(

Still missing a "lightweight" / small backpack (for all kind of stuffs, for small daytrips) and trying to figure out what to do!!
The Mini 3 Pro is a great little drone. I have both the M3 and the M3P. The Mini 3 Pro complements the Mavic 3 well and has some advantages such as being small, light and portable and in many countries can be flown without registration or a pilot licence - perfect for a travel drone. Image quality is pretty good but it doesn't compare to the quality you can get from the Mavic 3 which has better dynamic range. Also, with the variable aperture and the Tele lens on the Mavic 3 you have far greater options so I don't think you will never use your M3 again unless all you are going to do is travel photography.

Chris

Wow, thanks so far... lovely community!

Sorry, i was off for quite a while - had some serious issues in RL.
Trip is still on the list and I couldnt do anything for planning. (We are going to Vietnam)

I read all things you guys wrote and I have to admit, maybe M3 is too big to carry easily in a backpack.
We are not that kind of backpacker walking in bushes and so on - we travel from hostel to hostel and leaving the big one in the hostel and having a lightweight backpack in the front.

Get a camera backpack. They work great and are padded.

Are you actually backpacking, as in camping and carrying your tent, sleeping bag, food and everything else you need? Or are you just touring with your gear in a backpack? If you're camping, you will have no room for the drone. If you are touring and staying in hostels/hotels/B&B's, then ditch the backpack and use a 4 wheel roller bag or duffel. Your back (and every other muscle you have) will thank you every day.

Are you actually backpacking, as in camping and carrying your tent, sleeping bag, food and everything else you need? Or are you just touring with your gear in a backpack?

Post #27 the OP came bac k to say they are backpacking as in hostel to hostel etc.

Still, even that is usually too tight for extra gear, and think the M3P would be best, all accessories are far more compact.

The OP is worried about not using his M3 again if he gets the M3P, but really they are different tools for easy travels or more close to home use.
Unless the OP is doing a lot more travel, and the M3P really does suit best for long term use, the M3 can always be sold.

I’ve just recently purchased a case for my M3 and rc pro from aliexpress

NZ$ 16.73 32% Off | Storage Bag For DJI Mavic 3 RC Pro Remote Body Explosion Proof Shockproof Handbag Waterproof Carrying Case Box Handle Accessorie

Very impressed with the quality of them both! :)

I’m travelling to NY and Europe in a few months so this will be great to throw in a backpack :)

I also have the modular case that you linked to above for my Mini 3 pro. As I mentioned in my post #12, they are great versatile cases that allow you to adapt to whatever type of packing/trip you are planning.

Chris

As me and my future wife are going backpacking february / march in south america or asia (not decided yet), i have to do 2 things:
  • train my back, to being able to carry a heavy backpack all the time.
  • getting a small case which fits into my backpack for my m3 + remote controller + battery.
Both things are important but i guess, u can only help me with the 2nd one :)
I got an Aircontact Pro 60+15 from Deuter.
Do you have any suggestions or solutions where i can put my drone, protected, in this backpack. or hang it onto the backpack.. or sth like that.

Best regards
Check out the Chinese websites . I had the same problem and I had a choice of several cases and sizes for under $25. It will depend on the level of protection and your weight concerns . Aliexpress

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin