DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backpacking with M3...

Epinephrin90

Reactions
As me and my future wife are going backpacking february / march in south america or asia (not decided yet), i have to do 2 things:
  • train my back, to being able to carry a heavy backpack all the time.
  • getting a small case which fits into my backpack for my m3 + remote controller + battery.
Both things are important but i guess, u can only help me with the 2nd one :)
I got an Aircontact Pro 60+15 from Deuter.
Do you have any suggestions or solutions where i can put my drone, protected, in this backpack. or hang it onto the backpack.. or sth like that.

Best regards

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
I use modular cases. Backpack geometry (i.e. long distance comfort) is personal and more important, and the reason why packs made for drones suck. For backpacking with the M3 I use these:

Moment Drone Carrying Case

I have the smaller case for my RC Pro. Between these two cases, I can bring 3 batteries and other flight items. These two won’t fit all the Fly More charging equipment, but on day hikes why would I need to? I also don’t care about foam protection either. If I fall, the drone is not a priority to my own health.

As me and my future wife are going backpacking february / march in south america or asia (not decided yet), i have to do 2 things:
  • getting a small case which fits into my backpack for my m3 + remote controller + battery.
Do you have any suggestions or solutions where i can put my drone, protected, in this backpack. or hang it onto the backpack.. or sth like that.

Best regards
Hope the two of you have a great time. It's been a few years since I was able to do this kind of traveling. Have fun and be safe.

In a case between clothes. That's what I do all the time and I never had any problems.

Ye sure, that came in my mind :) But WHICH case? :) Maybe u guys have better experience in this. :)

I use modular cases. Backpack geometry (i.e. long distance comfort) is personal and more important, and the reason why packs made for drones suck. For backpacking with the M3 I use these:

Moment Drone Carrying Case

I have the smaller case for my RC Pro. Between these two cases, I can bring 3 batteries and other flight items. These two won’t fit all the Fly More charging equipment, but on day hikes why would I need to? I also don’t care about foam protection either. If I fall, the drone is not a priority to my own health.

Im not 100% sure, whether I got u right. What are "modular cases"?
So my mavic 3 would fit into this case including, the gimbal protection RC Pro and batteries? Or are u using a different case for your rc pro?. Just want to get you right! :)
Hope the two of you have a great time. It's been a few years since I was able to do this kind of traveling. Have fun and be safe.

I hope so too, final destination not decided yet :)

Should be mentioned that the above link shows a case for a Mavic2 Pro aircraft. The Mavic3 isn’t shown.

Ye sure, that came in my mind :) But WHICH case? :) Maybe u guys have better experience in this. :)

Im not 100% sure, whether I got u right. What are "modular cases"?
So my mavic 3 would fit into this case including, the gimbal protection RC Pro and batteries? Or are u using a different case for your rc pro?. Just want to get you right! :)

I hope so too, final destination not decided yet :)
I guess what I mean is that I use soft shell cases to hike with my M3. To be clear, the case I linked will hold the M3, as I own and use it just for that. I have another similar case from Amazon (Sunnylife) for my M2P setup. The Moment case holds the folded M3 and either two extra batteries or the RC231 controller. Compartments can be arranged in various ways. The Sunnylife will only fit the M2P (but was cheaper). This is the other case I use, which is smaller. It fits my RC Pro without sticks, and some spare parts.

Moment Accessory Carrying Case

I rather have separate cases for these things than have a bigger case that holds it all. I have to manage my pack load with other items and equipment. Having two 'modules' means I can arrange my pack in a way that makes sense for my wants/needs. :D

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My kids gave me the Lowepro Droneguard BP250 which nicely and safely holds my Mavic3 & 2 extra batteries as well as my TripleTek pro 8. The compartments are Velcro configured to allow for your own needs. It sells now on Amazon for ~$180.

Attachments

• 1DBA9190-7244-48CC-99D9-69C27F52E1B3.jpeg
    1DBA9190-7244-48CC-99D9-69C27F52E1B3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: MGVision
The Mavic 3 convertible case actually transforms into a full backpack. Of course, I bought mine off eBay for $50. They are pretty cheap there. Mine was BRAND NEW.

Reactions: GFields
In a case between clothes. That's what I do all the time and I never had any problems.
This will certainly sound dumb compared to all of the expensive methods. Go to Costco and get some bubble wrap used for packing and mailing, and wrap it around once or twice and hold it with a really long rubber band. Put it at the bottom of the case and protect it with a 2nd clothing layer (incase of cold or rain).

I also use modular cases and put them in a camera backpack, a regular backpack or shoulder bag depending on where I am going. The beauty of the modular cases is that I can change-up my configuration instantly.

Here’s what I use:

452B31D4-D072-4DAC-8657-3CF5C5948C2D.jpeg
20A41F33-0C27-40BE-AD5F-AA2BD69602DA.jpeg
8F7E61CE-9CE0-42CE-B816-2CB0BCC15895.jpeg

Considering it’s backpacking (as in living out of a large backpack while travelling extensively and for months), I think the way to go is the neatest self contained modular type carry case you can find (as per @Chrislaf post above), to pack safely inside your main pack.

Having done a lot of backpacking though, I’d say the M3 is simply going to be painful to travel with like this though.

I’d be purchasing a Mini 3 Pro for such travels.

I also use modular cases and put them in a camera backpack, a regular backpack or shoulder bag depending on where I am going. The beauty of the modular cases is that I can change-up my configuration instantly.

Here’s what I use:

View attachment 156552
View attachment 156553
View attachment 156554
Do you have a link to the Mavic 3 drone case pictured? I've been looking for exactly that style to match the one you show pictured for the RC Pro, which I already have. I just searched again, and couldn't find anything looking remotely like it for the Mavic 3.

Do you have a link to the Mavic 3 drone case pictured? I've been looking for exactly that style to match the one you show pictured for the RC Pro, which I already have. I just searched again, and couldn't find anything looking remotely like it for the Mavic 3.
When I originally bought the case I didn’t have the RC Pro and it came with the case for the RCN1. Here’s the link to Amazon Canada I used. Prices have gone up quite a bit since I ordered mine - almost $10.

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you want to use M3 while traveling, I would recommend our M1 backpack, which is very light and small and can hold the basic accessories you need to fly.

And backpacking february takes a lot of energy, I wish one day I can also take a a backpacking trip with my drone.
Have a nice trip!

When I originally bought the case I didn’t have the RC Pro and it came with the case for the RCN1. Here’s the link to Amazon Canada I used. Prices have gone up quite a bit since I ordered mine - almost $10.

Chris
Awesome! Thank you! Amazon USA has the exact same offering, and even found one that looks exactly like it for just the drone! Everything has gone up!

Best regards
My experience is a hip-sportcase, wearing in front of you, not on your backside! In front you can easily grab your drone, even without stopping walking. If possible for the case, carry the drone 'unfolded' in it, but with gimbal protection. But still you'll have to be patient until enough satellites are detected.

Wandrd Prvke 31L has been an incredible bag for me. Can't recommend it enough.

OP provided the pack he purchased, and it looks awesome (Aircontact Pro 60+15). Definitely meant for major backpacking excursions or even a through-hike. I'd put the basics for a flight in the 'brain' on top, and chargers etc. in other parts of the pack. If planning on using it often, I won't even case the drone. For a job where I needed to rapidly take multiple photos in succession, I'd kept my Mavic Pro in a cotton bag with a draw string. That's not obviously meant for long term protection, just had to be mindful of my step and pack placement.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 140147.jpgScreenshot 2022-11-09 140207.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661