DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad For Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
No same goes for sports stadiums. The biggest stadium in my home city has a geo fence meaning you cannot fly anywhere near it.
Makes sense - you don’t want a flying blender landing on one of 60,000 people potentially.
Yes of course, but three miles seems extreme. If you live a couple miles from a stadium you certainly should be able to fly around your house. Its not like an airport where something can leave the stadium and cause a problem.
Common sense should come into play somewhere.

If you normally try to fly within the area of a major sports venue on a game day (plus or minus 2 hours before and after) you will be greeted with a DJI warning that says why. EX Minnesota Twins Baseball Game TFR (something like that).

Im sure the TFRs were entered back the spring late winter when the schedules were released. Keep in mind MLB schedules have changed and been cut back due to covid. Not saying the operator was right but there was a chance they had no idea there was an event there.

ignorance is bliss.. That person probably thought it was a rain delay ...what dummy's..they all left the field and there wasn't even a cloud in the sky..
IGNORANCE IS ONLY BLISS FOR THE IGNORANT...FOR EVERYONE ELSE ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT AND OFTEN VERY COSTLY...JMO...BE SMART FLY SAFE

Many people, unfortunately, when they purchase a new drone are oblivious to the requirements of their resident country. Some will seek the rules, some will not! Some simply because they literally have no idea rules or laws exist for such a fun hobby.

How could the rules and regulations be presented to them in a realistic manner? IDK! Maybe, if purchasing via a web site, a mandatory disclosure statement, requiring a name, address, email, and acknowledgement mark of having read and agreement of applicable rules of flight. Sounds like more government regulation. Bad idea then!

Again, IDK how the new buyers could be informed at time of purchase unless businesses willingly posted info, requiring acknowledgement of review, at purchase time. (Electronic for internet sales and OTC sales. Plus, a synopses of rules and link for further requirements.). You know, the things no one wants to add to sales responsibility!

OTH, many simply don’t give a rat’s patootie!
Yes, TFR’s are normally placed into effect during venue time frames
Yes, but new drone owners, don't know the rules.
Many people, unfortunately, when they purchase a new drone are oblivious to the requirements of their resident country. Some will seek the rules, some will not! Some simply because they literally have no idea rules or laws exist for such a fun hobby.

How could the rules and regulations be presented to them in a realistic manner? IDK! Maybe, if purchasing via a web site, a mandatory disclosure statement, requiring a name, address, email, and acknowledgement mark of having read and agreement of applicable rules of flight. Sounds like more government regulation. Bad idea then!

Again, IDK how the new buyers could be informed at time of purchase unless businesses willingly posted info, requiring acknowledgement of review, at purchase time. (Electronic for internet sales and OTC sales. Plus, a synopses of rules and link for further requirements.). You know, the things no one wants to add to sales responsibility!

Ignorant Bliss is an Interesting problem. Testing or licensing for recreational flyers won't solve that problem. Walmart has a sign that says license may be required on the shelf. I'm not sure about Amazon, a few mouse clicks will get you your very own aircraft. Recurrent training, to keep up with changing rules needs to be implemented. Jamming transmitters need to be installed at no fly zones like airports and stadiums. Anti-drone guns need to be outlawed because it's against the law to shoot down an aircraft. And police departments are above federal law, using hometown rule. when it comes to shooting down drones.

Last edited:

So, be honest now, have you ever actually read one of those "License Agreement" before clicking?

• Love
Reactions: Classic flyer
this is nothing new as we all know,there will always be those who choose to ignore the rules for drone flying ,its no different to any other pastime ,and as is the norm ,these peoples actions will result in ever more stringent restrictions being placed on all of us
People want to do what they want, no matter if its drone rules and regulations, or wearing a mask for the safety of others.
Most people are just plain selfish, and want to do what they without the slightest concern for the other guy. A lack of love for neighbor.

People want to do what they want, no matter if its drone rules and regulations, or wearing a mask for the safety of others.
Most people are just plain selfish, and want to do what they without the slightest concern for the other guy. A lack of love for neighbor.
AS SAD AS IT IS, WE LIVE IN A "LOVELESS" WORLD TODAY...BE SMART FLY SAFE AND PLEASE RESPECT ALL

I can't remember if it was the Mavic 1 or 2 or even both but at least one of them came with a leaflet in the box that was UK specific showing a summary of the drones rules for flying in the UK. To activate the drone from what I recall you have to pass a basic test on local flight regulations.

Since then the UK has implemented a drone license system which requires all pilots to have an ID which is free, to get the ID you need to pass a simple 20 question multiple choice test that's not difficult but ensures you know the UK flight regulations. If you own a drone then you need to pay a small fee to get an ID you put you on any number of drones.

It's been criticised for being too basic or too much from different camps as well as making no difference since people can still fly without doing any of this. However I think it's a fair compromise and I don't see the point in hammering legal users with lots of hoops to jump through when those that are flying illegally are just ignoring all the rules anyway.

I wonder how these idiots circumvented the geofencing?

Probably by not flying a DJI - there are a *lot* of other brands out there without any geofencing at all.

I can't remember if it was the Mavic 1 or 2 or even both but at least one of them came with a leaflet in the box that was UK specific showing a summary of the drones rules for flying in the UK. To activate the drone from what I recall you have to pass a basic test on local flight regulations.

Since then the UK has implemented a drone license system which requires all pilots to have an ID which is free, to get the ID you need to pass a simple 20 question multiple choice test that's not difficult but ensures you know the UK flight regulations. If you own a drone then you need to pay a small fee to get an ID you put you on any number of drones.

It's been criticised for being too basic or too much from different camps as well as making no difference since people can still fly without doing any of this. However I think it's a fair compromise and I don't see the point in hammering legal users with lots of hoops to jump through when those that are flying illegally are just ignoring all the rules anyway.
you are almost correct the Operator ID is for drones over 250 g at the moment ,but drones under 250 g if they have a camera then it seems they will need an operator ID from at the moment the first of Jan 2021 if your drone is heavier than 250 g at the moment you will need to register it with the CAA and this costs at the moment £9 for one year ,but you also need a flier ID which is free and at the moment this lasts for 3 years it is possible to own a lot of different drones but you only need one operator ID number which goes on all the drones you own
but you will still need a flier ID if you wish to fly them ,and if you allow another person to fly any of your drones then they will need their own flier ID to do so

Reactions: Classic flyer
We're just preaching to the choir here. the drone pilot was either a jerk or a dummy but still... People on the first base line had more chance to be taken out by a line drive than anyone had from that drone.

We're just preaching to the choir here. the drone pilot was either a jerk or a dummy but still... People on the first base line had more chance to be taken out by a line drive than anyone had from that drone.
THAT BEING SAID, A LINE DRIVE ISNT ILLEGAL AND WONT HINDER THE DRONE HOBBY...BE SMART FLY SAFE

you are probably right but its more about preaching to the new members of the choir ,to help them avoid the stupid mistakes of others

you are probably right but its more about preaching to the new members of the choir ,to help them avoid the stupid mistakes of others

“There are three kinds of men: the one who learns by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to (urinate) on an electric fence for themselves.”

(Attributed to Roy Rogers)

AS SAD AS IT IS, WE LIVE IN A "LOVELESS" WORLD TODAY
I understand that you're on a mission sir..but really...that does sound a little extreme. Out here ..everybody loves everybody..at least the seem to in my home town.

The best thing I ever did was join this forum. I, like the majority of people, with a new found passion, had to get the pioneer in me out of my system. It's Human nature to explore and further our knowledge, and you can only do that by doing. I now no longer push the boundaries, thanks in part to the wisdom on here. Education is the way forward. Keep it up.

Last edited:
As I write this, we have 2 MLB games going on with 11 more to start over the next two hours. There is not one TFR in effect at any of those stadiums. Supposedly all TFR's are in effect from two hours prior to one after the event. The two images attached show Tropicana Field with the Rays playing. As you can see nothing is posted by either DJI or the FAA. So in theory anyone can fly their drone as the airspace is not depicted as being off limits and there is no geofence from DJI. The FAA can write all the rules and regulations they want but if they are not going to follow their own rules, then things like this will happen.

Or I am totally wrong and I am missing something.

Attachments

• Visualize it See FAA UAS Data on a Map.png
    Visualize it See FAA UAS Data on a Map.png
    532.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DJI Fly Safe.png
    DJI Fly Safe.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 13
So, we do not usually want to police each other but some of us either don't know the rules or just want to do their own thing.
This drone caught yesterday over the Twins stadium shutting down the game, just makes bad news for all drone pilots.
Could not see any FAA numbers at this angle, maybe they have more footage from another angle. If this was you,View attachment 109708 thanks for nothing.

The best thing I ever did was join this forum. I, like the majority of people, with a new found passion, had to get the pioneer in me out of my system. It's Human nature to explore and further our knowledge, and you can only do that by doing. I now no longer push the boundaries, thanks in part to the wisdom on here. Education is the way forward. Keep it up.

I think my recent experience typifies the attitude of many of our anti-drone population. I am out here in Montana on vacation. Each day I try to fly. Several days ago I drove to the Crazy Mountains, a spectacular grouping of mountains and wild forests. The public road to the mountains from the Interstate passes through millions of acres of private farmlands. There is not a single person in sight anywhere. The scenery is vast and wide open. I pulled over to fly near the driveway of a private ranch. I was not in the property but on the side of the road. Within moments, a lady drove up in a golf cart, with a huge attitude. She asked me what I was doing. I had not yet unpacked the drone. I told her I was photographing the mountains. This was from the road and not on her property. I asked her if I could move my tripod inside her gate about 30 feet to get a better composition. She allowed that. She asked me how long I was going to be there I estimated about 30 minute (for a timelapse). She walked off. I set jump my tripod and did a 30 minute timelapse. While waiting for that I flew my MP2 towards the mountains.

Thirty minutes later she reappeared, and saw I was also flying a drone. She became irate. "You didn't tell me you had a drone!" And, she added, "your 30 minutes are up!."
I thanked her and packed up my stuff. Here is the place I flew, Do you all think I was doing anything wrong flying from the road over this land towards the mountains? Some people really just have a pole up their rear ends!

Attachments

• 8-5-2020-Crazy-Mountains-Panorama.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member