DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad For Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lets Fly

Reactions
So, we do not usually want to police each other but some of us either don't know the rules or just want to do their own thing.
This drone caught yesterday over the Twins stadium shutting down the game, just makes bad news for all drone pilots.
Could not see any FAA numbers at this angle, maybe they have more footage from another angle. If this was you,897BAAF3-96BF-4086-8A1E-B4574DC32CD7_1_201_a.jpeg thanks for nothing.

So, we do not usually want to police each other but some of us either don't know the rules or just want to do their own thing.
This drone caught yesterday over the Twins stadium shutting down the game, just makes bad news for all drone pilots.
Could not see any FAA numbers at this angle, maybe they have more footage from another angle. If this was you,View attachment 109708 thanks for nothing.
I couldn't agree with you more...stunts like this only help drive the nail in the coffin for hobby fliers...be smart fly safe

Well that's the problem that causes even more regulation. Yet every time a pilot here is reminded that they are not flying legally, they say that they are an adult and know that what they are doing is not dangerous. Not a day seems to go by where someone is also complaining about how much it bothers them to deal with the DJI Fly Safe database and associated restrictions. Then we see something like this.

Well that's the problem that causes even more regulation. Yet every time a pilot here is reminded that they are not flying legally, they say that they are an adult and know that what they are doing is not dangerous. Not a day seems to go by where someone is also complaining about how much it bothers them to deal with the DJI Fly Safe database and associated restrictions. Then we see something like this.

Couldn't agree with you more!

There's also the tacit approval angle. OK, some people do have the relevant licenses, then obtain the necessary waivers and whatever other additional paperwork may be required, but given how much footage gets posted here that couldn't legally be obtained without those I doubt very much everyone posting such footage does. YouTube et al are, of course, at least an order of magnitude worse for this, and posters there also have more of an incentive to keep doing it in terms of followers and ad revenue kick-backs. Yet, barring the most egregious stunts, such posts inevitably get a bunch of positive reactions and very little criticism, so is any wonder that people who ought to know better (and probably *do* know better) keep doing it?

At this point, I've pretty much given up on not being regulated into the ground (figuratively as well as literally) and am making the most of it while I can. I'm not too bothered about more general aspects of legislation and registration; if you're flying responsibly then you're probably going to be in compliance with most reasonable legislation anyway, and registration isn't too much of a bother either. What concerns me is the ever growing number and size of NFZs, large landowners banning you from operating from their land (over it might well be OK, but then VLOS kicks in and you're still stuffed).

My only hope is that the bar to entry raises slowly enough that the idiots get deterred and give up while the requirements are still manageable and there are enough locations to operate for it to be viable for the rest of us, even if we do have to get some additional training and/or qualifications. If not, well, I guess it was fun while it lasted.

Yet, barring the most egregious stunts, such posts inevitably get a bunch of positive reactions and very little criticism, so is any wonder that people who ought to know better (and probably *do* know better) keep doing it?
I think that is definitely part of it. Another part though is that so many people in today's society feel so entitled and have no sense of personal responsibility. Of course common sense and respect for others went out the window a long time ago. The fact that the pilot is disconnected from the UAV makes it easy for these people to take risks with little perceived risk to themselves. If they were in the cockpit they would have a whole different perspective. Have you noticed that the licensed manned aircraft pilots on these forums are the ones that try to follow the rules and fly responsibly? That is because safety is drilled into pilots from day one of training.

if you're flying responsibly then you're probably going to be in compliance with most reasonable legislation anyway, and registration isn't too much of a bother either.
It really is not a big deal. Registration is not a big deal. Obtaining a Part 107 license is almost child's play. Getting LAANC authorization is so simple now. Unlocking DJI zones is an extra step but also not overly burdensome. I feel that those who can't follow those steps, most likely should not be at the controls of a flying vehicle anyway. Many times it is also lack of preparation and planning. We've all seen the posts about "I lost a day's worth of client business because the( Mod Removed)DJI app wouldn't let me fly". Well if you plan ahead, get all authorizations done, and test everything, then this scenario just doesn't happen.

What concerns me is the ever growing number and size of NFZs, large landowners banning you from operating from their land (over it might well be OK, but then VLOS kicks in and you're still stuffed).
So this is where the upcoming changes in regulations can be good and bad, depending on how they are finally implemented. If this live connection is indeed implemented and requires a subscription with an official provider, then it kills the hobby. If it is made so that no additional expense and undue burden is put on the pilot, it could make the skies safer and as you said, weed out the riff-raff. As an additional benefit, if the FAA makes it possible to reasonably get clearance to fly beyond VLOS and/or over people, then it makes these UAVs of ours even better. Sure have requirements to ensure safety, have a comprehensive exam (practical exam maybe?), and enforce the regulations. I would be more than happy to jump through the necessary hoops (within reason) to get the ability to fly BVLOS and over people.

My only hope is that the bar to entry raises slowly enough that the idiots get deterred and give up while the requirements are still manageable and there are enough locations to operate for it to be viable for the rest of us, even if we do have to get some additional training and/or qualifications. If not, well, I guess it was fun while it lasted.
Well said. Fully agree!

Last edited by a moderator:

example : Question
" why do I have to ask permission to fly my drone. I am 53 years old and already have a dad. DJI you are not my parent. "

People who believe they have the right to do X without any duties coming with that right cause all manner of problems. And lets not go down the path of people vocally assert a right to do something which most of the world would consider a privilege.

Last edited:
Last week she learned how to drive.

This week she learned how to aim.

"Insisting on one's rights without recognizing one's responsibilities is not freedom. It is adolescence." -- Anonymous

this is nothing new as we all know,there will always be those who choose to ignore the rules for drone flying ,its no different to any other pastime ,and as is the norm ,these peoples actions will result in ever more stringent restrictions being placed on all of us

The real problem with DJI Geo zones is that they are wildly inaccurate.

Most notably allowing you to fly in controlled airspace.
It’s not unreasonable for first time flyer to trust in them.
So in my book they are very bad.

ignorance is bliss.. That person probably thought it was a rain delay ...what dummy's..they all left the field and there wasn't even a cloud in the sky..

Many people, unfortunately, when they purchase a new drone are oblivious to the requirements of their resident country. Some will seek the rules, some will not! Some simply because they literally have no idea rules or laws exist for such a fun hobby.

How could the rules and regulations be presented to them in a realistic manner? IDK! Maybe, if purchasing via a web site, a mandatory disclosure statement, requiring a name, address, email, and acknowledgement mark of having read and agreement of applicable rules of flight. Sounds like more government regulation. Bad idea then!

Again, IDK how the new buyers could be informed at time of purchase unless businesses willingly posted info, requiring acknowledgement of review, at purchase time. (Electronic for internet sales and OTC sales. Plus, a synopses of rules and link for further requirements.). You know, the things no one wants to add to sales responsibility!

OTH, many simply don’t give a rat’s patootie!

Yes, TFR’s are normally placed into effect during venue time frames
When I saw this on the Today Show (TV), they said FAA rules are that you can not fly within 3 miles of a stadium.
They may have been confused with an airport???

When I saw this on the Today Show (TV), they said FAA rules are that you can not fly within 3 miles of a stadium.
They may have been confused with an airport???
No same goes for sports stadiums. The biggest stadium in my home city has a geo fence meaning you cannot fly anywhere near it.
Makes sense - you don’t want a flying blender landing on one of 60,000 people potentially.

Being able to get around the geo fencing adds another whole level to this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest