DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad Time To Become A Drone Enthusiast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mavics assessment may have been accurate, but the courts disagreed, hence the verdict against DJI. And unfortunately, yours or mine opinion on the matter is irrelevant because the courts decision on the next step is what's important.
Buts here's where I'm stumped. I stated 2 facts, and then asked a question. Exactly how did that evolve into this? Now I get it, where people want me to see the bright side of it. Unfortunately, I can't see the light if I don't know what the darkness is. I am not one who only sees the glass as half full, I see it half empty as well. I acknowledge it all, right it wrong, good or bad. Anything less is just lying to myself, and only getting half the picture.
So maybe this issue with DJI will pass. That doesn't mean it didn't exist. I wasn't into drones years ago, so I can't comment on it. I can listen to others opinion on it that was, but since I have no first hand knowledge of it, that's all it is, your opinion.

The courts did not disagree, because the claim hasn't been heard in the courts. All there is so far is a recommendation from the ITC. If you don't understand how any of this works then perhaps you should stop trying to confuse the issue.

Reactions: Maviac
As for the copywriter or patient infringement .... who knows? I do know once you become a big guy on the block you also become the biggest target for anyone out there.... looking to get you... for good or bad....

Drone industry and government regulations are much like the gun 'enthusiast hobby' talk of the end is always up and being discussed.... so far it's only made the hobby bigger....

Reactions: Kamau54
As for the copywriter or patient infringement .... who knows? I do know once you become a big guy on the block you also become the biggest target for anyone out there.... looking to get you... for good or bad....

Drone industry and government regulations are much like the gun 'enthusiast hobby' talk of the end is always up and being discussed.... so far it's only made the hobby bigger....
And that's the thing for me.
Did they steal ideas from competitors, probably. They all steal from each other. I'm a Samsung fan, won't own anything else. But did they steal ideas from Apple? Hell yeah, I'm not naive enough to think otherwise, just as I know that Apple stole ideas from Samsung. That's business. It's only wrong if you get caught. But guess what, I'm still a Samsung fan, and will continue to buy their phones, just like DJI. I'm most likely not to own another brand. I really don't care if they got ideas from someone else. That wasn't my initial question. I simply asked if others thought it was a bad time to get into the hobby, not about the legalities, or if this is just another page in their book.
But Thanks for the insight.

I've been in the 'hobby' for well over 40 years and it's never stayed static. The free flight guys thought control line was the end - the control line guys thought RC was the end - the guys in RC who flew pattern thought 3D was the end - they all thought that turbine flight would bring about the end - and all of them thought 'Drones' would be the end?. . . . last I looked it's all still there.

Looking back at the evolution of the multi-rotor, prior to the implementation of the 3-axis gimbal, it really was not much to behold and even when we started seeing the first units with cameras, you still had to get your own video transmission and receiving gear (plus a dedicated monitor) and hobble it together your self. The first units basically had almost no camera control other than hitting 'record' before taking off - pretty useless by today's standards. And the cost of one of those early units 'decked' out with a mighty 1080 res camera and video gear was equal to or greater than a M2P today.

I would say if your getting into drones within the last two years or so - you've come at a pretty good time; technology wise, the modern drone and its camera have hit a level of refinement undreamed of 10 years ago and the cost has come within reach of just about anyone who wants one.

The courts did not disagree, because the claim hasn't been heard in the courts. All there is so far is a recommendation from the ITC. If you don't understand how any of this works then perhaps you should stop trying to confuse the issue.

And when we’re talking about multi-billion dollar corporations, this is all built into their corporate plans. Apple didn’t stop selling iPhones when Samsung won at the ITC about rounded screens or whatever it was.

The world’s biggest drone maker isn’t going to shut down. I promise and the FAA isn’t going to make us stop flying.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
We have the most powerful drones ever, at a relatively affordable price, and as flying hobbies go we don’t really face that many regs. Yet it seems every other thread is doom and gloom these days.

Plenty of hobbies face regs, and patent lawsuits/verdicts happen all the time and get resolved. Get a grip. DJI is going to keep selling drones and the government isn’t going to regulate them out of existence.

I’m pretty burned out on all the negativity. While I learned a lot here, it’s why I honestly rarely read these boards more than a couple of times per week if that, vs. multiple times per day a year ago.

Sorry to be so ranty (and this is not even particularly directed at the posters on this thread - it’s something worthy of discussion but can we get back to talking about why we enjoy flying drones and helping one another?), but hearing people do nothing but bemoan the state of their high(ish)-priced hobby feel sorry for themselves isn’t what I came for.
In reference to taking away my drone....To quote Charleton Heston, "From my cold dead hands!"

Reactions: TTP and Thomas B
It was a legit question from someone who feels uncertainty in the thing he's developed a love for.

We, as long-time members of the rc community, should just say "no worries. this stuff happens all the time". We will register and update, or do whatever legislation deems necessary, and continue to fly. Worrying about what the pot stirrers and legislators will do is just a waste of time.

Go fly! ...legally and responsibly.

Instances like this is why I asked my initial question:

It just seems like I'm seeing more & more of these types of attacks on the hobby, a hobby which I was about to become invested in substantially.

Instances like this is why I asked my initial question:

It just seems like I'm seeing more & more of these types of attacks on the hobby, a hobby which I was about to become invested in substantially.

That's kindof how new things go. At first, they're an interesting curiosity. Then they are the ultimate evil threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Gradually this dies away. Before I die away? Hope so!

That's kindof how new things go. At first, they're an interesting curiosity. Then they are the ultimate evil threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Gradually this dies away. Before I die away? Hope so!
I hope so too. But unfortunately, times and society is changing, and not for the better. I've lived long enough to see things that were not acceptable yesterday, are normal today. Common sense, empathy, decency, morality...they are all casualties of time. Even the truth has taken a beating to where it's not the truth that matters, but your perception of it.
And our hobby has fallen down to fear. People are afraid of what we're doing with our drones, not realizing that the vast majority of us could care less about what someone is doing that could be recorded.
I sincerely hope for the best. But as with coronavirus, I'm afraid this is the beginning of the new norm.

Once bureaucracy start loving red tape, it's a hard thing to recover from.

The classic Aussie laid back way of life is well and truly becoming a thing of the past, we are becoming what is generally referred to as a 'nanny state'.
Most of our urban councils seem to take up a standard 'no drones' (model airplanes, cars, etc) policy drafted by the countrys 'association of local councils', some even ban the use of kites with 2 strings.

Plenty of other places to fly, but how long until the next place to fly is also put under restrictions ?

I hope so too. But unfortunately, times and society is changing, and not for the better. I've lived long enough to see things that were not acceptable yesterday, are normal today. Common sense, empathy, decency, morality...they are all casualties of time. Even the truth has taken a beating to where it's not the truth that matters, but your perception of it.
And our hobby has fallen down to fear. People are afraid of what we're doing with our drones, not realizing that the vast majority of us could care less about what someone is doing that could be recorded.
I sincerely hope for the best. But as with coronavirus, I'm afraid this is the beginning of the new norm.

I do like your cheerful, optimistic approach to life¡

Common sense, empathy, decency, morality...they are all casualties of time.

This has always been the case throughout history. None of them, Common sense, empathy, decency, morality are absolute or constant. They will change over time, EVERY generation thinks that life as we know it is ending. They are right as things do change. That is change not end. Life and society go on.

This has always been the case throughout history. None of them, Common sense, empathy, decency, morality are absolute or constant. They will change over time, EVERY generation thinks that life as we know it is ending. They are right as things do change. That is change not end. Life and society go on.
I believe in God, but I'm not a Bible thumper or fanatic. That means his words and laws are absolute. Anything else is deviation from the norm.

I believe in God, but I'm not a Bible thumper or fanatic. That means his words and laws are absolute. Anything else is deviation from the norm.
Thanks for proving my point.
Which God? I know people from half a dozen religions who all think their god is the one.... However as god is a real living god and speaks to me I know that none of the worlds organised religions have got it right and are all barking up the wrong tree, as she told me.

There are no absolutes in Common sense, empathy, decency, morality and morality in particular. That is a very movable feast.

NOTE as a Christian you don't have the Word of God. In around 320 AD at the Council of Nicaea the Western Christian churches and the Eastern Orthodox churches go togethert to merge the half a dozen or so bibles each side had in common use. There was a lot of shuffling of books with many removed. BTW the shuffling really messed up the historical time line. That said the Eastern Orthodox Christian Bibles still have 6 more books than the Western Christians. By Western Christians I mean Roman Catholics. The Anglican/Protestant Bible based on the King James Authorized version has some 30 books fewer than the RC . Therefore there are three base versions of the Christian Word of God before you get in to the many many variants of each.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
Oh boy. This is about to go downhill. As my granddaddy McMavic always told me, never discuss politics, religion, or drone regs in polite company.

Quite there are no constants or absolutes in this world. They used to say "Death and Taxes" well we don't want to get political but a lot of people and companies seem to be "efficient" in avoiding taxes and as for death... I believe there are some cryogenic companies in the world who will put you in suspended animation and many religions promise you reincarnation and /or an afterlife. So not even Death and Taxes are certain for everyone.

Hence my comment that this has always been the case throughout history. None of them, Common sense, empathy, decency, morality are absolute or constant. They will change over time, EVERY generation thinks that life as we know it is ending. They are right as things do change. That is change not end.
Life and society go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54