DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

barberpole display

jb_4_rc

Reactions
I hope this is a newbie thing, since I am a newbie to the dji world.

I recently acquired a crystalsky 7" UB. After powering up the 1st time the camera display on the monitor had, for the lack of a better word, a barberpole issue. The system status and telemetry looked fine, but the camera display from the AC had this problem. After turning down the camera setting dial it went away. It was more enhanced when I brought the bird outside. I had to turn it way down. I took a screenshot. pictures are ok.

Is this normal? or, (hoping this isnt the case) is there a prob with the CS? or just operator headspace.

Using a galaxy s7 doesnt have this problem, just gets washed out when turned way up.

bird is a mavic pro.

Screenshot_2019-10-11-13-21-37.png

• Haha
Reactions: JS1600
if you read the manual about the camera settings you will see exactly what the black and white hatching is, it is to do with exposure settings and can be disabled in the camera settings in the app

maybe I'm missing something. the only manual I have found is the users manual. It doesnt say anything about black and white hatching.

I hope there is a better manual. this one is pretty vague

at least i have a better word for searching it besides barberpole. thank you old man mavic

Reactions: old man mavic
If not mistaken this is it in camera settings.
D9FE7B45-BE8F-43EF-8E7C-A7B77F424C1A.jpeg Overexposed
And Welcome to the forum jb. Thumbswayup

It's the Zebra feature that they call "show overexposure" or something in the camera settings. It does just what it says.
Beat ya by a second .
giphy (2).gif

SWEEET! that was the ticket! dirk, yours didnt quite look like mine, so i did a reset. that turned off vid captions, overexp warning, and long exp auto preview. that did it!

Screenshot_2019-10-11-17-21-44.png

thank you for the welcome! and all the input!

yes.... the manual. since its just a "users manual" I guess they just expect us to use the mav, not actually know what we're doin with it.

Thats ok tho. There is so much info in this forum.

and kilrah....I never found the "zebra" button......lol.

thanks again!!

relievingly yours....

if you read the manual about the camera settings you will see exactly what the black and white hatching is, it is to do with exposure settings and can be disabled in the camera settings in the app
@jb_4_rc sorry my friend i thought there was something in the manual about the overexposure hatching, but after looking through it there is nothing there

Reactions: jb_4_rc
@jb_4_rc sorry my friend i thought there was something in the manual about the overexposure hatching, but after looking through it there is nothing there

No worries..... I would have.... if there was one.

I am an advocate of RTFM. With all with whats goin on with this bird, there "manual" is no better than a quick start guide!... lol

regards!

I found YT tutorials more helpful than anything other than reading in here as much as I do.
I do look at several from different people and get what I can from them.

Reactions: Bobvt and jb_4_rc
I found YT tutorials more helpful than anything other than reading in here as much as I do.
I do look at several from different people and get what I can from them.

maybe thats what they(the manufacturer) was counting on

Last edited:
Note that the zebras are there for a reason. The area delineated by the zebra is dangerously overexposed and is likely to have lost all detail in the zebra area. Turning the display off only delays discovering the image damage until later viewing. The correct response is to adjust the exposure until the zebra goes away.

I've found the overexposure detection can be over sensitive. If your scene has high dynamics, you're going to get overexposed and/or underexposed. You can't fit 6 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket.

I hope this is a newbie thing, since I am a newbie to the dji world.

I recently acquired a crystalsky 7" UB. After powering up the 1st time the camera display on the monitor had, for the lack of a better word, a barberpole issue. The system status and telemetry looked fine, but the camera display from the AC had this problem. After turning down the camera setting dial it went away. It was more enhanced when I brought the bird outside. I had to turn it way down. I took a screenshot. pictures are ok.

Is this normal? or, (hoping this isnt the case) is there a prob with the CS? or just operator headspace.

Using a galaxy s7 doesnt have this problem, just gets washed out when turned way up.

bird is a mavic pro.

View attachment 83386
. It shows the area which will be overexposed. You don’t want to disable. It’s a good indicator of which areas will be properly exposed and the areas that will be washed out.

Manual?...we dont need no stinkin manual!....lol

You guys ARE the manual!

Love all the input. I'm in "live n learn" mode with this bird. So I definitely appreciate it.

So, correct me if i'm wrong. The mvp settings change depending on which display I use? going from the s7 to a CS changed them?

True enough. That is where the photographer’s eye come in. You need to decide whether the brights or the blacks get clipped. For most folk’s eyes, clipping the blacks is preferable, making the zebra display the most useful.

Right now the state of the art is a dynamic range of 14 stops, which is not adequate for very contrasty scenes. Engineers are hard at work to expand this, but that has been the best for nearly 5 years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat