DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries for carry on

A1CMavic

Reactions
Can I bring these batteries on my carry on? Taped over the contacts. Called my airline but they were very vague on giving me an answer...thanks in advance!

Reactions: Shaun5150 and Porky
Can I bring these batteries on my carry on? Taped over the contacts. Called my airline but they were very vague on giving me an answer...thanks in advance!
Yes, you can. They look fine.
The phone person might have been uncertain but their website will have a section for batteries or dangerous goods that will give you the relevant details.
For most LiPo batteries they must be at storage charge and in a fireproof LiPo bag.
No airline or aviation safety authority asks for or recommends anything to do with the charge level or LiPo bags.
Those things are just forum myths.

You quoted the FAA guidelines... where does it state that they need to be in a fireproof bag?

Edit: or a certain charge?
The contacts must be covered but FAA does not require LIPO bags. I do use them as a favor to myself.

The contacts must be covered but FAA does not require LIPO bags. I do use them as a favor to myself.
But again... the FAA does not require this.

Must be in Lipo bag... must be 50% discharged.. must have contacts covered... all not true. These are _all_ good things to do but not required. I secure the batteries so that they cannot touch.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I have flown domestically (in Australia) and internationally. No one even looked at my batt e ries other than the usual security x ray. No one cared about bags, covers or charge.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
You quoted the FAA guidelines... where does it state that they need to be in a fireproof bag?

Edit: or a certain charge?

That is the part where the airlines can have stricter rules than the FAA. The aircraft is owned by the company and the FAA guidelines are the minimum for safety. That is why you should check with the airline you are using before you show up for your flight.

The other reason is why would you have your batteries fully charged before you get to your destination? You can’t fly your UAV on the plane or the airport at your destination. Most users store their LiPo batteries in fireproof bags at all times (just in case!).

Not trying to start some sort of rule nitpicking argument thread here. I posted the FAA guidelines and what I consider to be good practice anytime, not just on a passenger flight. Always better to be over prepared than under prepared.

That is the part where the airlines can have stricter rules than the FAA. The aircraft is owned by the company and the FAA guidelines are the minimum for safety. That is why you should check with the airline you are using before you show up for your flight.

The other reason is why would you have your batteries fully charged before you get to your destination? You can’t fly your UAV on the plane or the airport at your destination. Most users store their LiPo batteries in fireproof bags at all times (just in case!).

Not trying to start some sort of rule nitpicking argument thread here. I posted the FAA guidelines and what I consider to be good practice anytime, not just on a passenger flight. Always better to be over prepared than under prepared.
Understood... and it is a good practice. However, your post did not say this. It stated that it was required by the FAA (so it _had_ to be done, on every flight).

Did you really change the quote as well? :rolleyes:

I didn’t change my post. It still reads the same. My point there was to check with the airline you are using. Was going by an experience of a member on another forum that travels to Hawaii. Not sure which airline though.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada