DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery care

... I am in FL and it’s truly hot here, going on a road trip this weekend and for the next 2 weeks and want to make sure batt are safe.
Excessive heat will damage your batteries. Some have swollen to the point where they no longer fit and can possibly pop out when in flight. I did not read which Mavic you are flying, but the battery guide for the MP states not to use above 104°F.

For the love of god, how many times does this come up?

Zero on a DJI battery IS NOT ZERO capacity.
The same way that your cell phone turns off when it reaches ‘zero’ does that destroy the battery? - No.

It has simply reached Low Voltage Cut-Off (LVC) which is there to protect the battery.
DJI ‘Smart’ packs are no different - they have an LVC built in.

This has been spoken about ad nauseum on the forum(s) previously
Thanks for the input. Like I said as I am New , just a few months now , that article of conversation may have happen way before me joining. However, everyone’s input and generosity to help has been greatly appreciated. Thanks again for those who have been here longer than I , to weigh in , again, lol, on this topic. I mean that is what the forum is for , correct?

Nausea = pepto. ?
Happy flying !

Just curious: how/where do you view the number of charges on a battery? Or is that just your guess?

I viewed the charges on the battery through the DJI go 4 app using the icon on the screen hitting advance settings last page of info. I’ll snap shot it when I go fly this morning.

So I watched a YouTube video yesterday and decided to do this.
According to the video host, if you wanted to reset your battery after many uses and add a bit longer life , you can use battery till it depletes to 0 , this will them reset intelligent battery for better battery life . What’s you opinion? Please advise.
Drone Valley On YouTube has a great tutorial on Dji batteries

Reactions: Carb63
I have been storing my batteries just under 50%, but this video recommends 35-40%. Is there real data to support the ideal storage condition?

I think this is the video he saw.

I have been storing at 50%. Is the there data to support storage at 35-40%? Does the smart battery take itself down to this level after an elapsed number of days?

Thanks!

Joel

Thanks for the input. Like I said as I am New , just a few months now , that article of conversation may have happen way before me joining. However, everyone’s input and generosity to help has been greatly appreciated. Thanks again for those who have been here longer than I , to weigh in , again, lol, on this topic. I mean that is what the forum is for , correct?

Nausea = pepto. ?
Happy flying !
No problem.
Using the search function on the forum will usually bring up several results as most questions like this have been covered previously.

Search field is your friend! Thumbswayup:D

Wow. Ok. In the YouTube video I saw , he stated after a certain amount of usage, to bring battery down to 0 and it would reset battery life since it’s an intelligent life battery to almost new capabilities. Well I did it last night , shm, no issues. I’ve had my bird since oct 2017. Just want to care for the battery so I can get max life out of them. Don’t have much flight time on them. 67 charges the most. Just looking to have them last longer. I think I’ve seen some of the pilots stating 200 charges. Seem to be the life of a intelligent batt. With no issues. Please advise. I am in FL and it’s truly hot here, going on a road trip this weekend and for the next 2 weeks and want to make sure batt are safe.

At about 60 charges each, all 4 of my batteries swelled up on day. I had them set to discharge every 5 days and most of the time used them before the 5 days. I thought having them discharge sooner was better.

my current theory is back to 10 days and keep them in the open air.

I think they were damaged because they began to discharge while inside the hard shell case. Sitting inside those small holes with no air and discharging, I think damaged mine.

I have no issues just want to do preventive maintenance. Lol

Wow, while this is not news, the video in post #1 reaffirms that there sure is a lot of bad information on the Internet.

As an electrical engineer, my advice to everyone is quit obsessing over your batteries and just fly the drone. DJI and the battery manufacturer have built into the drone and the battery pack circuitry that will prevent it from over charging, discharging too far, and also will reduce the charge if the battery is inactive for a long time. You don't need to do anything, and if you do a lot of these pointless exercises, you will not make the battery last longer.

So, to reiterate: find something else to worry about.

Does somebody have an idea of how to de-energize batteries when fully loaded for flight but not being used.

My Mavic Air Fly More pack came with an adapter that clips onto the battery and lets me use them as a standard USB charger. So I charge my other gadgets with the batteries until they are down to the safe storage level.

If I'm in a rush, I fly the Mavic Air indoors for a bit until the batteries are down to the level I want.

Wow, while this is not news, the video in post #1 reaffirms that there sure is a lot of bad information on the Internet.

As an electrical engineer, my advice to everyone is quit obsessing over your batteries and just fly the drone. DJI and the battery manufacturer have built into the drone and the battery pack circuitry that will prevent it from over charging, discharging too far, and also will reduce the charge if the battery is inactive for a long time. You don't need to do anything, and if you do a lot of these pointless exercises, you will not make the battery last longer.

So, to reiterate: find something else to worry about.
This

So I watched a YouTube video yesterday and decided to do this.
According to the video host, if you wanted to reset your battery after many uses and add a bit longer life , you can use battery till it depletes to 0 , this will them reset intelligent battery for better battery life . What’s you opinion? Please advise.
I do this reset taking them to 0 or 8% I read that you get the same result, so far I do it about every 30 max 35 days and the batteries still have the initial duration and I use them a lot.

Link please. TIA
if you can help me my 5 batteries have 60 discharged charges I have already done this procedure twice today still have the duration that they had just bought, not ok you bring the ruins to zero but only if you leave them at zero could they no longer recharge, but if do this procedure and when you cool down, top up like a 4 cell reset. this answer for the friend who said they told me never to bring o lipo. sorry my not good english use shifted excuse.

Then there are those of us that never thought to search thinking we were always doing the right thing. I always charge my batteries full after every mission. Now that this has come up, I need to rethink how I manage the batteries.

I fly everyday now. So I charge after every flight. I have them to discharge now , at 5 day. I don’t think that matters if I’m flying everyday.

you are correct but what you propose is that no one should reply to a question just because it has been raised before maybe when a newbee asks a question that has been covered many times the forum directs them to a list of previous answers just a thought
Good morning "Old Man"...this is an old fart from downunder. First time contributer on a forum I have been watching for some weeks.
As with this comment you offer balanced and kindly comments. Perhaps some of the "knowledgable" respondents can take a leaf out of your book! Thanks again mate for your valued input.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King