DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery consumption

Conch

Reactions
by what percentage does the battery consumption increase by switching to sports mode?

by what percentage does the battery consumption increase by switching to sports mode?

Simply switching to sport mode will not increase battery consumption, in fact it might decrease it because the drone no longer requires the obstacle avoidance to be monitored.

I think what you are really asking is how does flying in sport mode at higher speeds affect battery drain. The answer is it depends on the RPM you are asking the motors to produce. The motors will spin at higher RPMs in sport mode, allowing you to go faster, and discharge the battery faster.

You can easily do the test for yourself.

Fully charge 2 batteries if you have them, or fully charge one, then after the first test, recharge to 100%.

First fly in P mode full throttle in big patterns and set a stopwatch when you start. See how long it took to get to 50%. Land. Recharge or put in a new battery and repeat the test in sport mode.

Battery consumption should increase in sport mode, causing you to have a shorter flight time.

Simply switching to sport mode will not increase battery consumption, in fact it might decrease it because the drone no longer requires the obstacle avoidance to be monitored.

I think what you are really asking is how does flying in sport mode at higher speeds affect battery drain. The answer is it depends on the RPM you are asking the motors to produce. The motors will spin at higher RPMs in sport mode, allowing you to go faster, and discharge the battery faster.

You can easily do the test for yourself.

Fully charge 2 batteries if you have them, or fully charge one, then after the first test, recharge to 100%.

First fly in P mode full throttle in big patterns and set a stopwatch when you start. See how long it took to get to 50%. Land. Recharge or put in a new battery and repeat the test in sport mode.

Battery consumption should increase in sport mode, causing you to have a shorter flight time.

Thanks, my questions stems from this:
I have a shipwreck sitting about 3 to 4 miles from my house. I have a straight view from my porch to the wreck. If I want to take a flight to the wreck, am I better off going there in Sports mode full throttle or take my time in P mode full throttle. Which will give me more time to explore the wreck and come back safely?

Reactions: Former Member
Pay attention to wind direction! try to do it when the wind favors the return trip, and only go to sport mode if it is needed. It uses battery faster.

Thanks, my questions stems from this:
I have a shipwreck sitting about 3 to 4 miles from my house. I have a straight view from my porch to the wreck. If I want to take a flight to the wreck, am I better off going there in Sports mode full throttle or take my time in P mode full throttle. Which will give me more time to explore the wreck and come back safely?

I think the best way to do this is get in a boat. Get within LOS, and then launch from there. Any other way would be impossible. Not joking.

I did some math. Calculations are with no head wind, nap of the earth flying, no climbout time, no time spent at the wreck, Mavic in P mode, using conservative calculations.

22mph. Distance 4 miles. Time to distance = 12 minutes x 2 = 24 minutes. You're out of gas and in the drink about 1.5 miles from home. Then you will need a boat and scuba gear.

Dont forget about my boat suggestion.

BTW, before I would ever try this, I would have State Farm or other "total loss" drone insurance. If you did go down in the water and couldnt find your drone, and all you had was DJI Refresh, all you would have left is a controller, charger and 1 extra set of props. Oh, and a nice box :)

Reactions: tictag
3-4 miles is a bit far to chance. Definitely don’t do it in sport mode. You won’t make it. Seems like regular mode is the best and you can slowly increase your speed for optimum battery life. Watch your battery timer it changes often and is easy to set your pace

I think the best way to do this is get in a boat. Get within LOS, and then launch from there. Any other way would be impossible. Not joking.

I did some math. Calculations are with no head wind, nap of the earth flying, no climbout time, no time spent at the wreck, Mavic in P mode, using conservative calculations.

22mph. Distance 4 miles. Time to distance = 12 minutes x 2 = 24 minutes. You're out of gas and in the drink about 1.5 miles from home. Then you will need a boat and scuba gear.

Dont forget about my boat suggestion.

Thanks, usually the wind is blowing towards ”home”. But I guess I will need to rethink. Scuba gear would not be a problem, just not sure I want to go “drone hunting” with it, especially not for my own drone.

The manual says max distance with 0 wind, is 8 Miles. So best case, you get there, take one photo and fly back straight away. Seems like a risky proposition for 1 photo.
FYI, some people fly in P-mode with OA off to achieve max distance.

BTW, before I would ever try this, I would have State Farm or other "total loss" drone insurance. If you did go down in the water and couldnt find your drone, and all you had was DJI Refresh, all you would have left is a controller, charger and 1 extra set of props. Oh, and a nice box :)

Unfortunately those types of insurances are not available here.

Unfortunately those types of insurances are not available here.

Where are you located? If you arent able to get total loss insurance, I would curtail being overly adventurous and fly to places you would be able to retrieve your drone if it goes down. Did you buy DJI Refresh? If not, you might still be able to buy it. If your drone has exceeded the 48 hour window after you registered it, you can buy Refresh here:

DJI_Care Customer Upload Information

Since it is over water at the max distance (under ideal conditions) I would not risk it. But if you do, turn off your forward obstacle avoidance sensors. You will not need it, it will increase the cruising speed, and it will remove the possibility of the sensors mistaking the sun for an obstacle.

Where are you located? If you arent able to get total loss insurance, I would curtail being overly adventurous and fly to places you would be able to retrieve your drone if it goes down. Did you buy DJI Refresh? If not, you might still be able to buy it. If your drone has exceeded the 48 hour window after you registered it, you can buy Refresh here:

DJI_Care Customer Upload Information

I am in the Turks & Caicos Islands. To send and get back any items under warranty (if we get warranty) is more painful than just getting a new item

I am in the Turks & Caicos Islands. To send and get back any items under warranty (if we get warranty) is more painful than just getting a new item
I was there couple months ago. The place is so windy 24/7. I wouldn't risk it flying for more than one mile.

Almost no breeze today. Could not resist. Started with a full battery and headed out east. Got 5.4km (still not at the wreck but close) when I got a warning that only enough battery left to return home (64%). Decided to listen and turned around and went home. Reached my porch with 24% battery left. Will try again but from the beach....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven