DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery dropped from 53% to 0% ,almost lost my MA

@tristan15 , @Zaptrem these battery incidents remind of some incidents a while back. I wasn't involved in looking at them but I think they were caused by using a non fully charged battery. Had to do with the smart battery system being confused. Maybe @Meta4 remembers more about them.

@tristan15 , @Zaptrem these battery incidents remind of some incidents a while back. I wasn't involved in looking at them but I think they were caused by using a non fully charged battery. Had to do with the smart battery system being confused. Maybe @Meta4 remembers more about them.
My battery was at 100% when I started the flight. To me, it sounded like the cold could have confused the battery but it sounds like some people have experienced similar issues in not so cold conditions.

I’m certain all of my batteries were at 100% when I went out to use them.

Yours looks much like a few other events, where the sudden drop in SMART_BATTERY_battery % doesn't appear to be triggered by real battery measurements.

View attachment 59449

Does this point toward a firmware issue or defective battery? I want to try some riskier shots in a couple days when I’m out of the city but don’t want the drone to drop out of the air onto a lake/roof.

Does this point toward a firmware issue or defective battery? I want to try some riskier shots in a couple days when I’m out of the city but don’t want the drone to drop out of the air onto a lake/roof.

It's hard to see how it could be a firmware issue unless there is a batch of batteries out there with different firmware or different components that are not playing nicely with the standard firmware. It's certainly not normal though - I'd be asking for a replacement battery.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
It's hard to see how it could be a firmware issue unless there is a batch of batteries out there with different firmware or different components that are not playing nicely with the standard firmware. It's certainly not normal though - I'd be asking for a replacement battery.

Do you have experience with DJI support? Should I just send them a message saying “I’m not comfortable continuing to fly my Mavic Air with this battery and want a replacement?” Would I have to pay for shipping? How long would it take?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Do you have experience with DJI support? Should I just send them a message saying “I’m not comfortable continuing to fly my Mavic Air with this battery and want a replacement?” Would I have to pay for shipping? How long would it take?

I've no personal experience at all with DJI support - never needed it. Others may be able to comment. But I would open a ticket with them on the basis of a faulty battery, with that log file as evidence. There is no way they can say that is normal or acceptable battery behavior, and it's hard to see how it could be user error, such as launching with a partially discharged battery - in those cases the cell voltages clearly show the problem.

seems like the problem is with newer batteries. flew in iceland fine.

Just to update you guys, three days flying after I have upgraded the firmware, fully discharge+charged the batteries, I never had the problem again. Now, I am more confident flying since my first flight was traumatic. Imagine losing $1000 in 10 minutes, ouch!

After 4 or 5 flawless flights my battery decides to play up again!!!! After 7 minutes of flight it went from 43% straight to 0%. It tried to force land thinking it was critically low. I kept the drone up and flew it back to me and just to test kept it hovering in front of me for a further 2 to 3 minutes. From the battery dropping to 0% I actually flew in all for a further 6 minutes.
This is my 3rd replacement battery, surely it can’t be faulty too?
The battery that came with the drone has been faultless.

f2f269e18e41b7034a4450d03a45864e.jpg
fe56d964d168b70ad2c03fbae9d06fef.jpg

After 4 or 5 flawless flights my battery decides to play up again!!!! After 7 minutes of flight it went from 43% straight to 0%. It tried to force land thinking it was critically low. I kept the drone up and flew it back to me and just to test kept it hovering in front of me for a further 2 to 3 minutes. From the battery dropping to 0% I actually flew in all for a further 6 minutes.
This is my 3rd replacement battery, surely it can’t be faulty too?
The battery that came with the drone has been faultless.

It happened with multiple batteries?

It happened with a battery that I purchased before so I sent it back an they replaced it. Then it happened with the replacement so I swapped it again thinking it maybe a faulty batch. Now it’s happened again with this one.
It seems really strange as the battery that came with the drone has been fine.

It happened with a battery that I purchased before so I sent it back an they replaced it. Then it happened with the replacement so I swapped it again thinking it maybe a faulty batch. Now it’s happened again with this one.
It seems really strange as the battery that came with the drone has been fine.

Check the flight logs for flights with those batteries to get the serial numbers.

Just been on to dji and I have been told now I need to send my drone, battery and controller back for them to check. Hopefully they can sort it.

seems like the problem is with newer batteries. flew in iceland fine.

Sort of off topic but may I ask how you found flying in Iceland? Was weather often an issue (wind/rain), or crowds of people? I'm going there in May and really looking forward to maximum drone time. I tried to pick the dryest month.

Sort of off topic but may I ask how you found flying in Iceland? Was weather often an issue (wind/rain), or crowds of people? I'm going there in May and really looking forward to maximum drone time. I tried to pick the dryest month.

I went end of July. It's very touristy but there are ways around it. Just get to the site before 9 am. Most tourists follow local time. If you're headed to Fjadrargljufur canyon, your MA will be super loud. It's a peaceful and quiet place. I got there at 9pm so there weren't many tourists left. Be careful at the black sand beach.

I forgot my car charger. The drone store in Reykjavik was selling it for $84 if converted to usd.

1548208896437.png

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys