DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery dropped from 53% to 0% ,almost lost my MA

I've only had about 4 flights on my MA and no issues at all with the battery that came with it. I bought a new battery and decided to give it a try last weekend and ran into this exact same issue. First thing that I have to mention is that is was definitely too cold to be flying (-13C), but it looked like it was going to be my only window of opportunity to fly for the next while. I flew with the original battery for about 8 mins just fine before I brought it in and swapped for the new battery - which I had charged the fully.

I flew around for about 8.5 mins and then decided that I was going to take the MA up and try a sphere pano. I hit the sticks straight up and got the MA into position, and while I was setting up the MA for the pano, I got a critical error showing that my battery was 0%. It went from 54% to 0% instantly.

I've since drained and recharged the battery twice - and I'll probably do it one more time for good measure before I try flying with it again. I'll attach the txt file.

Just thought that I would add to this thread in case it helps.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-01-26_[17-01-38].txt
    977.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Also happened to me. Bought brand new from B&H, flew it the next day without updating any firmware (yeah my bad). See below, battery dropped from 55% to 0%, and my MA tried to RTH but tried "auto-landed" somewhere. What is scary is after it descended, I lost my signal. Good thing, I drove, search, found it in 10 minutes and it is still hovering!!

So 10 days later, this happened again to me yesterday on my marked good battery. All my batteries were discharged and recharged completely after the first incident. Now, I am more composed and prepared. I just turned on sport mode , press up on the joystick to maintain height until the MA reached home.
Now im in the dilemma of returning it to DJI or just live with it. Anyway, that same battery's light indicator is still showing 2/4 bars lighted when pressed once however if I put it back on my MA, it is still showing 0%.

So 10 days later, this happened again to me yesterday on my marked good battery. All my batteries were discharged and recharged completely after the first incident. Now, I am more composed and prepared. I just turned on sport mode , press up on the joystick to maintain height until the MA reached home.
Now im in the dilemma of returning it to DJI or just live with it. Anyway, that same battery's light indicator is still showing 2/4 bars lighted when pressed once however if I put it back on my MA, it is still showing 0%.
I sent mine back recently. It was less than 1 month old. Dji have replaced the battery and power board. Hopefully that will put a end to it but Im not so sure with the amount of people having the same problem.

Have the same issue, less than a month old. I have recreated the problem for myself. Cold weather around 40f-50f (normal for this time of year on good days) and switching from sport mode to non-sport mode in the same flight. 54% down to zero. RTH kicked in. Batteries charged and worked fine the next time I flew. Warmer batteries tend to not have the error from my experience.

After having the same issue as most people here, battery going from 54% to 0% in a cold environment. I spoke with DJI and they pretty much changed my drone and the battery. I haven't had the chance to fly much since, we will see if I get the same issue again. I will keep you posted.

After having the same issue as most people here, battery going from 54% to 0% in a cold environment. I spoke with DJI and they pretty much changed my drone and the battery. I haven't had the chance to fly much since, we will see if I get the same issue again. I will keep you posted.

Since having my replacement drone an battery, I have had no problems whatsoever. Flown over 15 times with a few battery’s and everything ok. Must have been a fault on the drone. My only worry this is my 3rd drone now since Christmas!

I just saw that there’s a new firmware for the Mavic Air that is supposed to optimize battery usage. I wonder if it will help with this - or if it was meant to resolve this issue?

I’ve got two batteries - how can I ensure that both of those batteries have their firmware updated as well (assuming that the battery firmware battery s updated too)?

I just saw that there’s a new firmware for the Mavic Air that is supposed to optimize battery usage. I wonder if it will help with this - or if it was meant to resolve this issue?

I’ve got two batteries - how can I ensure that both of those batteries have their firmware updated as well (assuming that the battery firmware battery s updated too)?

Asked and answered in the other thread ;)

I updated the firmware on my Mavic Air this morning, and the update went smoothly. There was no message about upgrading the battery firmware.

If this firmware update addresses the sudden-battery-charge-drop issue (since DJI wasn't specific, we don't know that for sure), the Mavic Air firmware update might or might not actually address or resolve the issue.

I've never experienced the issue, so I'm looking forward to reports from other users as to whether this update makes any difference.

Larry

Hi,I got a MA on Tuesday. I spent a few days reading through the instructions,charging,updating and just getting to know my new toy.i took it out on Friday morning to give it a test and the strangest thing happened. I was flying around at around 53% then suddenly the battery went to 0% and started to land,controller kept disconnecting.i started running over the field to get to it,I managed to land it safely. The battery appeared flat on the led indicator on the battery. So I decided to try my second battery and the same happened around the same battery percentage.
So I uploaded the flight records to air data. Everything seems to be ok till it happens. This isn’t my first Dji product,I had a phantom 3 advanced so I don’t think I’ve made any silly mistakes. Started the flight at 100% ,calibrated the compass ,connected to gps ,phone charged,weather was pretty calm 5deg,home point set . Seen this issue a few times on the Dji forum but nobody seems to have an idea. I don’t really think it’s a battery issue,or I could be really unlucky and have two bad batteries. Please take a look at my flight logs an see if I’ve missed anything. Seems like software issue but can’t really prove it.
Thanks

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I know this is an old thread now but I'd like to ask how you charge your batteries. DJI charger or third party charger? Also, did you return them to DJI or keep using them? A new firmware is out that has something to do with the battery. Have you tried updating and see if the problem persists.

FYI, I had this happed to 2 out of 5 of my batteries and was able to replace 1 of them through DJI. I still have one battery that I haven't used since October because I'm afraid it will give me the same battery error and I will lose my MA. I'm going to update my MA and batteries on Tuesday and test them all a few times to see if the new firmware fixes this dangerous issue.

Hi,I got a MA on Tuesday. I spent a few days reading through the instructions,charging,updating and just getting to know my new toy.i took it out on Friday morning to give it a test and the strangest thing happened. I was flying around at around 53% then suddenly the battery went to 0% and started to land,controller kept disconnecting.i started running over the field to get to it,I managed to land it safely. The battery appeared flat on the led indicator on the battery. So I decided to try my second battery and the same happened around the same battery percentage.
So I uploaded the flight records to air data. Everything seems to be ok till it happens. This isn’t my first Dji product,I had a phantom 3 advanced so I don’t think I’ve made any silly mistakes. Started the flight at 100% ,calibrated the compass ,connected to gps ,phone charged,weather was pretty calm 5deg,home point set . Seen this issue a few times on the Dji forum but nobody seems to have an idea. I don’t really think it’s a battery issue,or I could be really unlucky and have two bad batteries. Please take a look at my flight logs an see if I’ve missed anything. Seems like software issue but can’t really prove it.
Thanks

Did you charge battery afterwards?
You will see led counts indicating zero impossibility

Just an update... I've updated the firmware and finally got a chance to fly today. Pretty much identical conditions to when I had the issue with the battery dropping from 54% to 0% instantly.

Glad to report that I took both batteries down to 28% without any issues at all. I'll be sure to report back if it happens again, but my fingers are crossed that this firmware update helps resolve that problem.

Reactions: pvs and BingErr
Just an update... I've updated the firmware and finally got a chance to fly today. Pretty much identical conditions to when I had the issue with the battery dropping from 54% to 0% instantly.

Glad to report that I took both batteries down to 28% without any issues at all. I'll be sure to report back if it happens again, but my fingers are crossed that this firmware update helps resolve that problem.
Thanks for reporting. Great news. Gives me more confidence to fly every battery.

Reactions: Wirre
Just a update... Since the new firmware update, no issues with the batteries at all. Took the batteries down to 5% Did fly in cold weather (39 degrees F) too. Very happy that this update probably fixed the issue. [emoji2]

Just a update... Since the new firmware update, no issues with the batteries at all. Took the batteries down to 5% Did fly in cold weather (39 degrees F) too. Very happy that this update probably fixed the issue. [emoji2]
Good to hear!

Just for info. Same thing happened with my Mavic 2 Pro today. Battery was almost full, approximately 95%. After ≈ 300m was dropped to 0. No problems with the battery and the drone as a whole have been noticed until this moment.

Thanks

I have same case and ask DJI support and replace one new battery.

I just had the same thing happen to my M2Z. Get a critical battery warning and bird begins landing a **immediately** with zero warning. On the first incident it happened with Battery A going from 55 percent to zero (supposedly) almost instantly. A few days later I use a different battery (Battery B) and it ALSO goes from 100 to zero almost instantly (supposedly) and initiates landing. In both cases could have easily lost my drone as I was over or near water. In each case the battery indicators continued to show 50 percent and 100 percent capacity (?) in the LEDs and on the remote control **after landing**. Am disturbed about these events (as one could imagine) but am not furious as I would be if I had lost my drone into the drink on either occasion.

The only common link between the two batteries is that I had just updated the firmware in the batteries, bird, and remote control from 1.00.0400 to 1.00.0510. Makes me think it is a firmware issue as it happened soon after firmware update on two different batteries. Will try downgrading firmware.

Last edited:
I just had the same thing happen to my M2Z. Get a critical battery warning and bird begins landing a **immediately** with zero warning. On the first incident it happened with Battery A going from 55 percent to zero (supposedly) almost instantly. A few days later I use a different battery (Battery B) and it ALSO goes from 100 to zero almost instantly (supposedly) and initiates landing. In both cases could have easily lost my drone as I was over or near water. In each case the battery indicators continued to show 50 percent and 100 percent capacity (?) in the LEDs and on the remote control **after landing**. Am disturbed about these events (as one could imagine) but am not furious as I would be if I had lost my drone into the drink on either occasion.

The only common link between the two batteries is that I had just updated the firmware in the batteries, bird, and remote control from 1.00.0400 to 1.00.0510. Makes me think it is a firmware issue as it happened soon after firmware update on two different batteries. Will try downgrading firmware.

As a follow up, I downgraded all my components back to 1.00.0400 including the two batteries that were causing such dangerous flight scenarios under 1.00.0500. Am delighted to report that all is well after the downgrade. Tested both batteries thoroughly. Started with a full charge and ran the drone hard in Sport mode, P mode with all sensors on, and added few Quickshots just for kicks. Batteries/flight duration were perfectly normal. Flew them until the 10 percent critical battery warning kicked in. Perfect behavior with 1.00.0400 firmware. Am more than a little irritated that 1.00.0500 would have rendered my batteries useless. Has anyone else had similar experience?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos