DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery fire/explosion?

photo2be

Reactions
Hi,

Has there been any cases reported where Mini2 batteries has caught fire or exploded? Especially when stored fully loaded in the drone itself or in the hub?

Best from Sweden

Has there been any cases reported where Mini2 batteries has caught fire or exploded?
It's possible, but not probable.

In the few cases I've heard of this happening some years again, it occurred while batteries were charging. They are pretty stable when not charging as long as they aren't stored in extremely hot temperatures.

Never heard of LiPo batteries exploding by being just laying around fully charged ... the consequence will instead usually be swelling. But if the cell burst open it's another matter, that could cause an explosive fire.

If a ill treated fully charged battery with swelling is exposed to hot temps or further charging/discharging thing's can get worse rapidly ... & by being full they have a lot of energy stored.

What you definitely can count on by storing your batteries on a charger keeping them always full, is a rapid wear that will fast shorten the batteries usable service life & after a while, swelling problems.

You are pretty safe in general, but as they age, # of cycles, they can also become more unstable . . . mostly looked after and following best battery practices, they will be safe for many years.
The hard outer cases on the DJI batteries, together with the intelligent charging, discharging, is a real benefit.

These aren't like soft pack lipos you see in FPV (style) drones.

DJI batteries might be suspect if they get a heavy impact, from a crash for instance (you'll have more than the battery to worry about then though), cracked casing, or if they get damaged by piercing etc, THEN they can pretty much smoke, the develop thermal runaway to flame out quite fast.

As a precaution charging, try not to leave them alone when charging, be in the same room doing some tasks etc if possible.
At least put them somewhere safe, I use a large baking dish, place on an oven tray on top of the stove, so if something did happen it'd be reasonably contained.
When lipo batteries do go, the do give out a fair amount of messy (and toxic) Fluoride gas, something to be aware of in placing them for charging.

There is also battery safe charging bags that can be used for safe charging. I have a couple but keep my old lypos in them for safe keeping.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos