DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Safe to Use?

Jwatson996

Reactions
Hi All,

Recently I have noticed that one of my batteries has a slight buldge on the underside whereas the other batteries are completely flat.
Is this still safe to use/charge or should I dispose of it immediatly?

Kind Regards20201026_115016.jpg

Attachments

• 20201026_115016.jpg
    20201026_115016.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi All,

Recently I have noticed that one of my batteries has a slight buldge on the underside whereas the other batteries are completely flat.
Is this still safe to use/charge or should I dispose of it immediatly?

Kind RegardsView attachment 115798

No , this battery is compromised. Even if you could use it as it gets hotter in flight its likely to jack up and pop and your drone is going to dis connect.

It can dis connect in two ways, first physically and second it can stop communicating with the drone warning and drop out of the sky.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

Reactions: Jwatson996
Is that a hard bulge or can you push it back flat? I noticed that on one of my batteries but I can push it back flat, like as if the sticky part of the label came loose but not the edges.

I personally would make it a portable phone charger or
Paper weight...
It’s simple, keep using it and risk a VERY real chance of
Battery malfunction during a flight and lose a $1,250-$1,500 piece
Of equipment or playing it safe and retire that battery....

Reactions: Thomas B
I definitely would not fly with it, except for a low altitude, close proximity test flight where it won't get damaged if it suddenly lost power.
Could be used for firmware upgrades, file transfers, session first flight warm up or other ground work.

Other than the physical problem with the bulge, it should be OK electrically. The three M2 batteries I have that swelled only lost a couple minutes hover time compared to a new replacement battery.

I definitely would not fly with it, except for a low altitude, close proximity test flight where it won't get damaged if it suddenly lost power.
Could be used for firmware upgrades, file transfers, session first flight warm up or other ground work.

Other than the physical problem with the bulge, it should be OK electrically. The three M2 batteries I have that swelled only lost a couple minutes hover time compared to a new replacement battery.
I've been told that when they bulge there is also a great risk that they could burst into flame when charging, so never be out of a room where they are charging, during the charge time. Seems a shame to throw away such an expensive unit.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61