DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery voltage/percentages

simonr23

Reactions
With batteries potentially getting damaged from low voltages, why aren't they produced so that 0% is still a safe voltage, and then from there, anyone who wants to risk it is going into the 'may reduce life/damage battery' zone?

i hate how something has a usable range, but you cant actually use part of it.

Actually, 0% should ensure a safe voltage. In the past, I have drained the batteries of my Mavic Pro and Mavic Mini at least once a month to 0% and do the same with my Mavic 2 Pro and Mini 2 batteries. None of the batteries has ever swelled up or suffered any other damage. After three years, the four Mavic Pro batteries were at around 90% of their original capacity.

Actually, 0% should ensure a safe voltage. In the past, I have drained the batteries of my Mavic Pro and Mavic Mini at least once a month to 0% and do the same with my Mavic 2 Pro and Mini 2 batteries. None of the batteries has ever swelled up or suffered any other damage. After three years, the four Mavic Pro batteries were at around 90% of their original capacity.
I've got a Mavic pro battery with 165 charge cycles on it with 85% life remaining, I never discharge to zero.

With batteries potentially getting damaged from low voltages, why aren't they produced so that 0% is still a safe voltage, and then from there, anyone who wants to risk it is going into the 'may reduce life/damage battery' zone?

0% isn't zero. It still leaves about 2 minutes of air time before it can no longer sustain flight. It is usable, if you know what you are doing, and are willing to risk damaging the battery, while trying to recover the aircraft before it crashes! You'll also have to fight the Autoland after 10%, and remain undistracted by the heart attack beeping below 15%, unless you know how to alter the parameters to avoid both!

Hello. I share your opinion. I have the same experience with the batteries of my Phantom 4Pro Obsidian, Mavic 2Pro, Inspire2, unlike my Mavic 3, that for the batteries there is no programmable automatic discharge option, so only time can tell us how effective it will be. protection so that the batteries do not degrade abruptly over time and maintain a good charge capacity for the time and number of charges they have. Greetings 🖖🏿

I do fly my drones to 0 and sometimes beyond, frequently.

my angle is that 0-10% shouldnt be "youre using it wrong". only the below 0 time should be that criteria.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I do fly my drones to 0 and sometimes beyond, frequently.

my angle is that 0-10% shouldnt be "youre using it wrong". only the below 0 time should be that criteria.
They unfortunately have to aim for the least intelligent and beginner pilot that needs nanny software. They used to let us change the settings that control the nanny warnings. Now, you have to use the unofficial parameter mods to regain control over those settings.

Reactions: simonr23

I guess for us that started using lipos when they became popular, the whole battery management process was very important to understand. Its not that they deliberately make the batteries this way, its simply to do with battery chemistry and the process that makes LiPos so good.
These modern drones simply have a little software package that helps to manage this for us to make life easier for use, and for charging.
LiPos are fantastic at providing a constant power source until suddenly, they are not. With aircraft this would sometimes mean some scary gliding and landing events, for drones….. its a long drop to the ground.

no, i think you've misinterpreted my post.

whatever the determined best safe low operating voltage by dji is (balance of flight time, charge cycles and battery longevity)- set that to 0%.

then anyone who wants to play with the margins and go down to 3.2, 3.3v - whatever, can do so, but EVERY user can be safe in knowing that they can fly every time down to 0 or 1 % (aka- getting the advertised range out of their $500-$5000 drones) and not be risking their battery puffing, or losing capacity in an unreasonable timeframe.

if it turns out that 0% is already that voltage- yay, advertise it.

Ahh i see what you are saying
0-100% of safe operating range.
Would make it easier for people with little or no understanding

yeah, so many people get scared flying their drones into single digit battery %.
So if it is proportionally bad for the batteries, well it's dodgy advertising saying "X mins of FLIGHT time" by my moral compass, where you shouldnt actually fly to the same percentage of battery they do for their claims.
if it is actually safe and fine, it should be advertised in the owners manual, or with the fly app.

yeah, so many people get scared flying their drones into single digit battery %.
So if it is proportionally bad for the batteries, well it's dodgy advertising saying "X mins of FLIGHT time" by my moral compass, where you shouldnt actually fly to the same percentage of battery they do for their claims.
if it is actually safe and fine, it should be advertised in the owners manual, or with the fly app.
Indeed! No way to get advertised flight times if you let the Smart Battery feature determine your total flight time! It will land with 20-30% remaining battery! What a waste of precious flight time that you specifically bought the drone for!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB