DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be cautious when checking a text message (latest FW & SW on iPhone X)

Vail Mike CZ

Reactions
I don't know how common of a problem this is, but today I was flying my Mavic Pro and checked a text message. After going back to the dji Go app, I was unable to connect back to the drone. I saw that the controller still had a connection, but there was no connection on the phone/app. As a last resort, I closed the dji Go4 app and restarted it but to no avail. Fortunately, I knew where the drone was so was able to get closer and visually bring in the drone and land.

Note, I've definitely checked text messages in the past w/ no problem (I just leave the drone hovering and then switch back to the app) so I don't know when this changed.

I'm flying w/ the iPhone X and latest FW & SW available as of today (Nov 25, 2017)
i11.1.2
dji Go4 v4.1.18(3018)
aircraft: 01.04.0100

Hmm... that’s a good thing to try next time. I don’t believe I tried that (I’m not 100% sure as I was quite nervous about RTH not working and losing the drone over the ocean since I was flying along the coast). I have never had any problems with the physical cable connection so it didn’t occur to me. I’ll keep the drone near and try to recreate tomorrow.

I'm flying w/ the iPhone X and latest FW & SW available as of today (Nov 25, 2017)
i11.1.2
dji Go4 v4.1.18(3018)
aircraft: 01.04.0100
I recently had a big problem with Go 4 v4.1.18 on my Android tablet. The video was so crappy it was unusable. I downgraded to 4.1.15 and it works again. Based on my experience the .18 Go 4 version is more likely to be the problem than the video cable.

Reactions: Vail Mike CZ
Had the same issue with my iPhone today after updating the Mavic yesterday. I don't remember if I checked the text by pulling down on the notification or if I actually went into the messaging app, but when I went back to the DJI app I was unable to get a connection back.

Did not try unplugging the cable so nothing helpful to add there.

Reactions: Vail Mike CZ
I couldn't go to bed knowing that you also encountered this Warchant. I did some testing and I was able to easily recreate this. I didn't even launch the drone. Just start it up, get a text message, read the message, and go back to the DJI GO app and the drone is disconnected.

@Mossiback, since I was not in panic mode worried that my Mavic will crash into the sea, I tried your workaround and indeed in both times pulling the cable out (from the phone) and plugging it back in allowed the app to reconnect with the phone.

Thus, there seems to be recovery but a text message seems to crash the latest DJI Go 4 app (w/ iPhone X and latest FW & SW).

Screen shot attached. It's a boring disconnect screen so I doubt anything interesting is there but who knows.

Attachments

• text msg knocks out dji go 4.PNG
    text msg knocks out dji go 4.PNG
    467.6 KB · Views: 44
@Mossiback, since I was not in panic mode worried that my Mavic will crash into the sea, I tried your workaround and indeed in both times pulling the cable out (from the phone) and plugging it back in allowed the app to reconnect with the phone...
I am glad pulling the cable reestablished connection for you. I am still suspicious of the Go 4 version 4.1.18 due to the problems myself and others have had with it.

I totally agree. The problem is not with the cable. The Go 4 app should not be knocked out by a text message.

Using my iPhone 7, I'm able to reproduce this issue by just pressing the home button on my phone. When switching back to DJI GO, it will remain disconnected until the Lightning cable is removed and reinserted.

I was flying my Mavic Pro and checked a text message. After going back to the dji Go app, I was unable to connect

So you were flying a UAV, and for whatever reason decided to not pay attention to the aircraft, and check the text message... while the aircraft was still in the air?
I’d suggest not doing this. what if the aircraft drops the connection, you’re checking a text and don’t know the connection dropped - now, what does the aircraft do? or what if you suffer a flyaway?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan