DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be gentle

The micro SD card is too big for formatting in FAT32. The maximum size for that is 32GB - hence the name I suppose. Try a smaller card, format to FAT32, and see if that works.
I will try that for sure. I think I have one.
But, as explained originally this did work before, Any ideas? I think possibly as others have said could be a drone update messed with this as card. Your help has been and is much appreciated.

Ok tried another SD card 32 gig formatted to Fat32. Did a short fly and played back nicely on pc. Copied to usb......

Same problem, won't play on TV.

I suspect now TV is the problem. I've tried on 3 TVs.( Where this previously wasn't an issue) Going to try a modern smart TV shortly. Gotta play on that surely !

Reactions: KJT
Ok tried another SD card 32 gig formatted to Fat32. Did a short fly and played back nicely on pc. Copied to usb......

Same problem, won't play on TV.

I suspect now TV is the problem. I've tried on 3 TVs.( Where this previously wasn't an issue) Going to try a modern smart TV shortly. Gotta play on that surely !
Indeed it should

The micro SD card is too big for formatting in FAT32. The maximum size for that is 32GB - hence the name I suppose. Try a smaller card, format to FAT32, and see if that works.

Alternatively you could partition your card into 4 x 32gb and then it could be formatted to FAT32, but that's going to give you other issues with usability I would think.

Would that work? I'm a bit curious to how the MM would handle where to store data. I get that it would use the only disc available if you took a 128 and created a 32gb disk. Only issue is that this would render 96gb useless.

You say "copied to USB' - is this device a card reader?
I copy original drone footage from SD card to a USB memory stick. Place stick in TV usb socket. Other mp4 files on same stick play on TV fine. Just not anything from the drone. I've tried different sticks and now other sd cards. Must be TV.

Would that work? I'm a bit curious to how the MM would handle where to store data. I get that it would use the only disc available if you took a 128 and created a 32gb disk. Only issue is that this would render 96gb useless.
I think essentially the MM will get confused or else like you say, the MM will effectively 'waste' 96GB. There's no harm in trying it in the house I suppose.
When all is said and done, I think an update to the MM software and your slightly older TV are the real causes of your issues.

I think possibly as others have said could be a drone update messed with this as card.
That's highly unlikely.
Video formats remain the same with firmware updates and no-one else has had an issue.

I think essentially the MM will get confused or else like you say, the MM will effectively 'waste' 96GB. There's no harm in trying it in the house I suppose.
When all is said and done, I think an update to the MM software and your slightly older TV are the real causes of your issues.
Yes I am inclined to agree. But thanks to everyone who has contributed here. I'm pleased at least to discover it isn't anything I've done. And it's been something to occupy my mind during this tedious lockdown. Thanks again. New TV I think.

Right. Tried usb stick on modern smart TV. All files that worked previous to this issue (early march) play perfectly. All files since play but picture is like looking thru a frosted glass window.

Now as demonstrated already I'm not that technical but I wonder if doing something like reinstalling fly app might sort it out ???

What format is the
I copy original drone footage from SD card to a USB memory stick. Place stick in TV usb socket. Other mp4 files on same stick play on TV fine. Just not anything from the drone. I've tried different sticks and now other sd cards. Must be TV.
What format is your USB stick in?

Try backing up the current videos to a hard drive or your pc, then reformat the USB drive to the same format that it currently has. Reload the videos again, takes another new one, and see what happens.

It could be that your USB stick is corrupted or has a bad sector so to speak.

Reactions: Arnu69
If you're copying the files to the USB stick, it doesn't matter to the TV how you format the SD card that goes in the MM. Have you tried formatting the USB stick to FAT32 or exFAT? Maybe your TV doesn't recognize NTFS?

Drone to pc fine.
Drone to TV usb socket see above.
Film something with the micro sd card from the MM AND another sd card using another source like your phone or a go pro, transfer to a different stick or preferably use a card reader and put that in your tv. This will test your cards TV and sticks. You should be able to narrow down from there what part of your setup is to blame.

Reactions: Arnu69
When I first bought Mavic mini I would download footage from the drone straight to a USB stick. I would then plug the USB stick into my wide screen TV and it would play in full 2,7k quality.

Now all of a sudden this doesn't work. When I go to play on TV it just comes up file invalid.

I can play footage back thru pc and it's great but I want to put files on a stick to watch on my TV.

Don't know why this problem has occurred. Stick is fine , TV is fine , other files on same stick play no problem. Any suggestions please.
Thanks in anticipation.
I had a similar issue with a file on my computer. Does the file play on the computer or do you also get the same invalid message? If you get the same message, it may be because you turned off your drone without pausing the recording via the controller. I had the same thing happen and followed advice on this forum. I popped the sd card back in the drone with the original file , did a new recording and ended it. When I transferred the original file (the one that didn’t work before) to the computer, it now worked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01