DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner Help Needed

Reactions
I’m new to being a drone pilot. Any recommendations as to buy Mavic 2 Air or Mavic 2 Pro. Are they hard to crash? Can both be edited on iMovie on Mac? My wife is a Realtor so would like to use it to help Market her business. Welcome any help.

Hi Phillip Phillips welcome to Mavic Pilots.
I think it would be more appropriate to ask are they easy to fly rather than easy to crash ;)
Yes they are easy to fly with a little care
As to what to buy ? I opted for the Mavic 2 Pro for the quality camera, so I say go with that you won’t be disappointed.

Newbie advice for first flights.
Wide open space.
Slow & easy.
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't forget to reed the manual

Hi Phillip Phillips welcome to Mavic Pilots.
I think it would be more appropriate to ask are they easy to fly rather than easy to crash ;)
Yes they are easy to fly with a little care
As to what to buy ? I opted for the Mavic 2 Pro for the quality camera, so I say go with that you won’t be disappointed.

Newbie advice for first flights.
Wide open space.
Slow & easy.
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't forget to reed the manual
Thanks! Will the sensors prevent the Mavic 2 Air or Pro from crashing?

Lets say they help but you can still crash if you try.
If you are sensible, take care, & keep it in view (L,O,S.) you shouldn’t have any problems.
If you think you are getting into difficulty's let go of the control sticks & it will hover in place until you calm down.
Yes you can edit on Mac but I am a PC man so others will help on that.

Reactions: Phillip Phillips
I would hate to fork out $2000 then destroy it! Can you edit the recording without problem on iMovie on Mac?
The Mavics are easy to fly, but you can make mistakes. Don't be afraid of it. Just give yourself time to learn how to fly proficiently, the idiosyncrasies of the particular aircraft, pay attention to this forum, and FAA regs. There are a lot of smart people out there who can help. Also, check out YouTube. There are hours and hours of info videos on drones.

As for editing, I download the video clips from the SD card on the aircraft directly to my iMac Pro. iMove and Final Cut Pro X work great to process the captured clips to make great movies. I'm not a "picture" taker type flyer, videos only, but I'm sure there are great jpg editing software out there.

The Mavics are easy to fly, but you can make mistakes. Don't be afraid of it. Just give yourself time to learn how to fly proficiently, the idiosyncrasies of the particular aircraft, pay attention to this forum, and FAA regs. There are a lot of smart people out there who can help. Also, check out YouTube. There are hours and hours of info videos on drones.

As for editing, I download the video clips from the SD card on the aircraft directly to my iMac Pro. iMove and Final Cut Pro X work great to process the captured clips to make great movies. I'm not a "picture" taker type flyer, videos only, but I'm sure there are great jpg editing software out there.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

...Any recommendations as to buy Mavic 2 Air or Mavic 2 Pro..
Both will take suitable quality recordings for real estate.
...Are they hard to crash?...
They are easy to crash. Like a car they will go where you direct them, only in three dimensions. Even into a brick wall at full speed.
...Can both be edited on iMovie on Mac?...
Their output may be edited the same. It mainly depends on the capabilities of the editing program, computer, graphics card, and the person doing the editing.
...My wife is a Realtor so would like to use it to help Market her business...
To be legit, you need to be 107 licensed and insured.

Thanks! Should get the Mavic 2 Pro as a beginner?

Sure, just use reasonable care and don't fly beyond your or the drone's capabilities. The M2 Pro is easy to fly (the Air 2 also), so if you take baby steps, first flight away from obstructions (open field is good) and in good weather conditions, it will be very difficult to crash and very easy to fly safely.

I strongly recommend the Smart Controller with the M2, bright screen and very convenient as compared to using a smart phone. DJI pomises the SC will be updated soon to work with the Air 2, but currently you cannot buy the Air 2 without the standard controller.

It's certainly possible to crash, but as others say it's a matter of practising in wide, open spaces. As has been said, trees and power lines are evil.

I would hate to fork out $2000 then destroy it! Can you edit the recording without problem on iMovie on Mac?
Whichever Mavic you purchase, the DJI Care Refresh plan will ease the thought of an expensive repair or replacement. I have both the MA2 and the M2P. Although both are relatively easy to fly, I would recommend the lower-priced MA2 for you. You’ll be amazed at the images captured, and won’t be stigmatized by the higher price point.

And if you feel the need to upgrade to the M2P, the MA2 will still get a high resale value, while the used M2P prices are dropping every week.

Yes, both models create video that may be edited via iMovie. You may actually like the simplicity of quick video editing from the DJI Fly or DJI Go 4 app themselves.

I’m new to being a drone pilot. Any recommendations as to buy Mavic 2 Air or Mavic 2 Pro. Are they hard to crash? Can both be edited on iMovie on Mac? My wife is a Realtor so would like to use it to help Market her business. Welcome any help.

Hi Phillip and welcome to the Forum:

Sorry to be the grinch here but you are facing several years of learning! That is, if you are like me. I am a retired medical doctor (- eye surgeon- so I consider I have average intelligence). Yet I started with a Mavic Air (original Mavic Air 1), and crashed it in the first week but got it fixed by local Drone Nerds shop. Later on (about a year) I crashed it again but was able to use it, since I was desperate (I was in Madagascar) to use it for my travelogue. Then I sold it and bought a Mavic 2 Pro last October on a Black Friday sale. No crashes yet! All throughout this time (now 2 or 3 years) I am nervous every time I put it into the air. I have taken at least a year to learn video editing (Adobe Premiere Pro on a powerful iMAC). I have not yet felt the need to get a 107 certification because I have no intention of monetizing my footage. So, my advise would be to take it slowly, and incrementally! Seek out open spaces, keep the drone in visual line of sight at all times, watch a lot of You Tube videos for the drone that you purchase, and I would not jump so fast into studying for a 107 license. Many of you Mavic Pilot Forum people will argue with these thoughts, I am sure. For my money, I would absolutely go with the Mavic 2 Pro. Just my personal opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic