DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Benefit of charging hub..

vandemonian

Reactions
Hi, I have an A2 S Combo kit but asking here because I understand the battery / charger and hub supplied (in combo kit) is the same for both models A2 + A2s.
It appears that the charge hub benefit is only that it will sequentially charge each battery one after the other... each one charges in series but only after the first one reaches full balanced charge and then the next battery receives power until full balance before the last battery is given any juice..

I can return home with two or even three partly depleted batteries that were changed out with 20% - 30% remaining in each to ensure safe flight on my next "mission" and my observations are each one requires 1.25 to 1.5 hours or charge in serial sequence, so 3-4+ hours of charging.. that's what seems to be required before I can head out with 3 fully charged batteries. Why.. if the manufacturer provides a 3x hub, why are they not all being juiced up at the same time (in parallel) so that a rack of three are all ready to fly after 1.5 Hrs - the same time as a single battery requires for full balanced charge. That's surely the proper purpose of a hub.. parallel charging to full cell balance in the shortest time..?

Hi, I have an A2 S Combo kit but asking here because I understand the battery / charger and hub supplied (in combo kit) is the same for both models A2 + A2s.
It appears that the charge hub benefit is only that it will sequentially charge each battery one after the other... each one charges in series but only after the first one reaches full balanced charge and then the next battery receives power until full balance before the last battery is given any juice..

I can return home with two or even three partly depleted batteries that were changed out with 20% - 30% remaining in each to ensure safe flight on my next "mission" and my observations are each one requires 1.25 to 1.5 hours or charge in serial sequence, so 3-4+ hours of charging.. that's what seems to be required before I can head out with 3 fully charged batteries. Why.. if the manufacturer provides a 3x hub, why are they not all being juiced up at the same time (in parallel) so that a rack of three are all ready to fly after 1.5 Hrs - the same time as a single battery requires for full balanced charge. That's surely the proper purpose of a hub.. parallel charging to full cell balance in the shortest time..?
You could charge one in the drone and two in the charger?

@vandemonian its all about cost and the size of the charger
i have aftermarket chargers for both my MM and MPP and can charge all eight batteries ,four for each drone in under one hour thirty minutes these chargers charge all the batteries at the same time

What is a good aftermarket Air 2 and Air 2s simultaneous battery charger?

I have that charger as well and like it.

I used to fly a Spark and the stock DJI battery charger would charge three at the same time.

I was surprised that the MA2 didn't do it like the Spark since it was a newer product.

The above charger is very popular and works in the car or home. No need to purchase a separate one for the car.

You could charge one in the drone and two in the charger?
Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't aware that the drone was also able to charge the onboard battery.. (Must have missed that in the manual - if its there.)
I'll be trying that.
I'm also thinking that if I get an in-car charger it can be used as another charger if connected to a suitable AC power supply with the car connector socket.
It also crosses my mind that power tool 18V batteries (5AHr capacity) with the 12V output adapter might also be able to be used as a source in the field (with a suitable connector/adapter).. any thought from others?
Cheers, Chris

I just received mine yesterday in the mail. My batteries were all spent from a day of flying, so I got a chance to test the new charger.It worked perfectly charging four batteries simultaneously in under 90 minutes.
Both the charging brick and the battery holder have fans. and the car charger option is great. I really like this charger.

So thanks again @slup for a great recommendation!

Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't aware that the drone was also able to charge the onboard battery.. (Must have missed that in the manual - if its there.)
I'll be trying that.
I'm also thinking that if I get an in-car charger it can be used as another charger if connected to a suitable AC power supply with the car connector socket.
It also crosses my mind that power tool 18V batteries (5AHr capacity) with the 12V output adapter might also be able to be used as a source in the field (with a suitable connector/adapter).. any thought from others?
Cheers, Chris
I've tried charging the battery on board the drone via the USB-C that was suggested above and it doesn't charge.

I've cast around the forum lists and re-read the manual... seems that is not a feature of the Air series.
Happy to be corrected and schooled about how it can be done..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78