DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Blue Sky, Green Grass & White Cloud Settings

grizzard

Reactions
My quest to find the easiest setup for the best color with NO Post Color Grading and with the least amount of Noise. I know ... it's somewhat long but my eyes keep searching for those blurry spots with different photographic subjects. I may have to live with the edge blurries that I see. Using Davinci Resolve 14. The paid version might be the answer to Noise? Anyway my settings are: ... Original is 3.8K @ 30 fps / D-Cinelike / Landscape +1 +1 0 / ND16 / ISO 100 / WB Cloudy.

I do wonder sometimes about the endless pursuit of perfection regarding settings. It's worth it to a point however, I can't help thinking most people cannot tell the difference.

The last 5% just isn't worth it as the only one focussing on it (bad pun) is you.

If you are shooting professionally, would you not use a different drone altogether (P4P Pro for example)?

Reactions: grizzard
Ummm nobody said anything about perfection and nothing wrong with asking about settings.
There's a couple of worthy posts on YouTube with cinema and photo settings.
As with most things it's better if you know what the settings do and then you can evaluate with the goal in mind.
In addition you don't want to be the guy with garish postcard colors that scream processing.
The fundamental settings are color balance, sharpness, contrast and saturation.
The only thing I would 100% put down as "law" is do not use AWB (auto white balance). Pick one - usually sunny or cloudy.

Don't even try without a polarized ND filter, for the scene pictured probably an ND16.

With the polarizer angle set right, it will make the colors pop out, especially greens.

Ummm nobody said anything about perfection and nothing wrong with asking about settings.
As with most things it's better if you know what the settings do and then you can evaluate with the goal in mind.
In addition you don't want to be the guy with garish postcard colors that scream processing.
The only thing I would 100% put down as "law" is do not use AWB (auto white balance). Pick one - usually sunny or cloudy.

I will often use manual WB (6000); this way when I shoot different angles or area I find it easier to colour correct once and it's good for all. This seems to work for me.

I will often use manual WB (6000); this way when I shoot different angles or area I find it easier to colour correct once and it's good for all. This seems to work for me.
6000 K is a good place to be - a little cooler tho. Technically daylight is 5600-5800K.

I do wonder sometimes about the endless pursuit of perfection regarding settings. It's worth it to a point however, I can't help thinking most people cannot tell the difference.

The last 5% just isn't worth it as the only one focussing on it (bad pun) is you.

If you are shooting professionally, would you not use a different drone altogether (P4P Pro for example)?
You are exactly right .... I tell people that myself and then I turn around and do what I told them not to do. :^))) In my defense I'm somewhat restricted to home base so it's somewhat like training (since I make the same flight repeatedly) so when I do get out it will be second nature to pick my settings ... I hope.

Reactions: gavcuk
Yes ... thank you. I am using Cloudy this day and my second selection would be Custom after I found the correct temps.

Don't even try without a polarized ND filter, for the scene pictured probably an ND16.

With the polarizer angle set right, it will make the colors pop out, especially greens.
As soon as funds permit .... I do want the Vivid Polar set of 3.

I've been amazed with the Mavic and so many times now I've been happy to edit on my iPhone with the streamed video. The output is so good I regularly never get to messing around with the SD card footage on the iMac (good job I spent so much on that last yet!)

I've been super impressed with the Quik app by GoPro.

If I could find an iPhone app that could do some colour correction I'd be made up.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato