DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best camera settings for Mavic 2 Pro (guide)

I dont have particular feelings about you one way or the other. In any event, perhaps you ought to go out and test your Mavic 2 Pro (if you have one) and see if everything is in focus at F2.8, which i agree, in theory ought to be the case, but in practice..... ymmv

It's not a theory, it is literally physics. You can calculate exactly what the DOF will be at any given focal length, aperture, and subject distance. It's not something that is up for debate. Nobody's mileage will vary. If you read my previous posts, that is what I have been saying.

For example at 300 ft in the air, assuming something on the ground is your subject, your DOF is ~289.21ft in front of your subject to infinity. Virtually everything will appear in focus from ~10.79 feet from the drone and beyond, and anything between 5.61ft and 10.79ft will still be acceptably sharp. At 50 feet in the air, everything from ~9.15ft to infinity will be in focus.

You also need to remember the lens on the M2P is ~10.3mm, which is extremely wide, and is another reason why there is near limitless DOF even at F2.8.

So, i was thinking to ask in a separate thread, but, may be it will be better to place it here.
it is probably not a simple topic, and it has several parts to it.
here is a link to a test i did today:

at 1min into that clip the yaw rotation begins. now, in the re-processed youtube clip it is barely visible, but, the yaw rotation is not smooth there. M2P was in the P mode and very slowly rotating, but, when i look at the clip - reprocessed one or an original one, in the DaVinci Resolve or in the VLC - i can see how screen 'jerks' a bit when gimbal moves left-right trying to keep up with the drone rotation. i have a feel the settings of the gimbal or mechanics are not smoothing up that yaw rotation enough.

again, in the raw footage it is quite visible. it is also visible after initial processing in the Resolve to apply color correction.

but, in the youtube it is smoothed up - so, it means they do something else to stabilize those 'jerks' in between frames. how do they do it?

so, that is essentially a question - first, is there anything available in the free version of the davinci resolve to smooth up that flow? as when i tried to add something like that into the fusion step it said it is only working in the paid version

second part of the question - is there anything else available in the camera or gimbal settings to smooth up specifically yaw rotation, to slow down speed of gimbal`s reaction to the change of the yaw angle. not sure how to explain it better. i hope it should not be something new in this topic, but i could not find any specific instructions on how to improve or tune it.

so, i figured out how to share it - here is a google drive link to the converted clip, shortened just to the rotation part, 450mb. any ideas what can be done there to fix the problem?
Untitled.mov

PS. for the Resolve software i found this article, trying to play with what it says to do in the stabilizer window, but, results so far are not very impressive.
How to Stabilize Video Footage in DaVinci Resolve 12.5

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph