DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Drone Insurance?

easyheimer

Reactions
I just purchased a brand new Mavic Pro tonight and while I’m waiting for it to arrive I’m looking into warranties / insurance for my drone. I figure it would be a good idea since I’m a beginner and these drones aren’t cheap. Can anyone recommend good warranties / insurance that will provide some peace of mind and won’t break the bank.

Thank you in advance!

I've got State Farm, which has pretty good reviews. My agent sez a minimum amount of coverage is required in my state, so it covers my M2P and Nikon. Prices vary quite a bit; I'm paying about $75./yr, so do your homework.

I've got State Farm, which has pretty good reviews. My agent sez a minimum amount of coverage is required in my state, so it covers my M2P and Nikon. Prices vary quite a bit; I'm paying about $75./yr, so do your homework.
My agent told me the the $75 would cover up to $6000 of equipment.

Thank you for this! Does this cover crashes etc? I was thinking about getting DJI Refresh Care for the first eligible year and then get something like you have.

Thank you for this! Does this cover crashes etc? I was thinking about getting DJI Refresh Care for the first eligible year and then get something like you have.
It is all risk insurance.With DJI care you need to retrieve the drone-not always possible.With State Farm you can flush it down the toilet and it's covered.I have read comments that 1 claim+you're out,but not sure if that's true.I have both coverages and have used Care Refresh and am saving State Farm for a claim with crashed,lost,what have you damage.If you lose your drone you will be unhappy that you didn't spend $75.If you make a claim with State farm,you can order and have a new drone in a day or 2.Care refresh 2+weeks to return(I am a drone addict and would need a quick fix)

It is all risk insurance.With DJI care you need to retrieve the drone-not always possible.With State Farm you can flush it down the toilet and it's covered.I have read comments that 1 claim+you're out,but not sure if that's true.I have both coverages and have used Care Refresh and am saving State Farm for a claim with crashed,lost,what have you damage.If you lose your drone you will be unhappy that you didn't spend $75.If you make a claim with State farm,you can order and have a new drone in a day or 2.Care refresh 2+weeks to return(I am a drone addict and would need a quick fix)
Thank you for the response. I think I’m going to play it safe and get the refresh and also stack State Farm on it as well. I’ll give them a call to find out how much it would be.
Again, I appreciate the help.

Thank you for the response. I think I’m going to play it safe and get the refresh and also stack State Farm on it as well. I’ll give them a call to find out how much it would be.
Again, I appreciate the help.
There are a couple of states State farms does not write insurance.Hope yours is not one.If you have a vacation home you can get it there .

Howdy, I’d also check out the app Verifly, depending on where and why your flying your bird.
Blue Skies from SoCal.

As for the comment, "One claim and your out", could be true. I had State Farm home and car coverage for 48 years, and had my roof replaced due to baseball size hail. Cost to the Farm was $17k. They canceled me! Even though during that storm, tornadoes destroyed many $350 + homes and they were not canceled. The reason they told me...number of claims. It isn't the cost, it's the number of claims. My total claims over those 48 years were less than $24,000. Figured I sent them around $300,000 over those years.
Ask the Agent before buying.

FYI- As great as these State Farm policies seem, filing claims on them will cause your HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE rates to skyrocket, and in some cases prevent you from being able to buy a standard market home owners policy at all, especially if you have filed multiple drone claims.

These losses are reported by State Farm to the "Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange" CLUE for short, as property claims and will be the basis for premium surcharges at your renewal, probably far beyond what you recover on the drone claim. This will also be the reason many insurance companies will decline to sell you a new homeowners policy when you DO decide to buy a house. The CLUE report is a database of claims all carriers submit loss info to and share with each other. These losses will remain on that report for up to 5 years and so will the premium surcharges.

I hope it's worth it to you.

Dave Garzoli
California Insurance License 0G74659

Don't believe me, see below-Screenshot_20191205-223633_Facebook.jpeg

What if you have another company for home owners insurance but have a stand-alone insurance policy for the drone? Would this still affect my home owners insurance?

Thanks for the info!

I just purchased a brand new Mavic Pro tonight and while I’m waiting for it to arrive I’m looking into warranties / insurance for my drone. I figure it would be a good idea since I’m a beginner and these drones aren’t cheap. Can anyone recommend good warranties / insurance that will provide some peace of mind and won’t break the bank.

Thank you in advance!
Be aware that if you have State Farm for home/car and break your drone and file a claim, it counts against you. If you have too many claims from their point of view, they will drop you! They go by number of claims, not dollar amount.

Reactions: easyheimer
Be aware that if you have State Farm for home/car and break your drone and file a claim, it counts against you. If you have too many claims from their point of view, they will drop you! They go by number of claims, not dollar amount.

So if I use another company besides State Farm I should be ok? I just want to make sure.

Good question. State Farm seems to be the only one I see on these forums. There has to be more.

What if you have another company for home owners insurance but have a stand-alone insurance policy for the drone? Would this still affect my home owners insurance?

Thanks for the info!
Doesn't matter. State Farm reports the drone claim to CLUE, where your home carrier, regardless of who it is will find it and surcharge or cancel.

Good question. State Farm seems to be the only one I see on these forums. There has to be more.
Yes, many insurance companies sell personal article floaters, but none except State Farm sell them as stand alone. For example, Travelers offers the exact same policy, but only as an endorsement to a homeowner's policy.

Trust me when I say this Stae Farm policy will not be around long, once the company sees the loss ratio on them.

Just got my quote today from State Farm. $60 per year which will cover me up to $2600.

I also was able to purchase DJI Care Refresh for $49.99 which I thought was a really good price since DJI is selling it for twice that on their website.

Just got my quote today from State Farm. $60 per year which will cover me up to $2600.

I also was able to purchase DJI Care Refresh for $49.99 which I thought was a really good price since DJI is selling it for twice that on their website.

Did you get the DJI Refresh for $49.99 from DJI site ? I am looking at DJI site now for MP 2 it is around $159

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat