DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of Temp NFZ Activating while your in the Air. Drone downed by DJI

Only one question
Can you guys please answer
Why DJI can not auto activate RTH
10-15 min before NFZ will become active
Why DJI can not set warning reminders about NFZ 20-15 min before it become active
What rules will be violated with this
I believe there no any violations and then every one will be happy

Only one question
Why DJI can not set warning reminders about NFZ 20-15 min before it become active

Those are fine ideas.

Reactions: Thomas B
Only one question
Agree as was my point earlier. While I agree with the pilot’s responsibility to know about TNFZs, we know that the goal is safety. For all concerned an automatic RTH at some interval before the TNFZ starts would be safer for all parties.

Reactions: Greg6032
Agree as was my point earlier. While I agree with the pilot’s responsibility to know about TNFZs, we know that the goal is safety. For all concerned an automatic RTH at some interval before the TNFZ starts would be safer for all parties.

I hope DJI check these forums and may be will make adjustments in their system

• Haha
Reactions: gamayun
Preparedness in aviation can only be achieved when you have the capability to control your aircraft when the need arises.
Drones (not fixed wing) can’t be controlled to move away from humans. They don’t have ailerons or rudders to allow them to have free flight without power.
There is no preparedness for the unexpected when it comes to drones that humans have programmed to take control, overriding the users input.

The FAA has no power to create laws. Regulations are not laws. Each state has to create their own laws.

You’re in the wrong forum if you’re looking to regulate drone pilots.

Without proper preparedness, your statements are illogical.
Regulations made by any government agency carry the full power of law. Be cause there is a LAW that gives the agency that power.
Be careful if you think otherwise, because that would be a stupid thing to try to use an an excuse for ignoring the regulations.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to change flight modes? Like, you can cancel a RTH by putting the craft into sport mode, I wonder if that would give you back control...

The original poster was caught “editing” an email and sending it to a YouTube blog claiming it was from “Frank wang” of DJI. The YouTube reviewer had to pull the piece and apologize. Brian’s credibility is totally shot. And that was also reflected in the DJI forums where he posted this.

The original poster was caught “editing” an email and sending it to a YouTube blog claiming it was from “Frank wang” of DJI. The YouTube reviewer had to pull the piece and apologize. Brian’s credibility is totally shot. And that was also reflected in the DJI forums where he posted this.
Links? I would like to read about this.

Reactions: Levitate
Only one question
Excellent stuff. Why not take it a step further?

I was thinking of a behavior modeled on the way battery strength triggers RTH. If the aircraft is within a pending TFR, it should keep a running calculation of the time needed to reach the nearest point on the perimeter of the TFR zone. If necessary, trigger a flight-to-safety so that the drone exits the TFR zone with, say, a minute to spare, and then treats the TFR as already active.

That would let the pilot continue the flight (respecting the TFR boundary) or RTH. If the home point is within the pending TFR, then force RTH exactly the same way, so that the drone is home and on the ground when the TFR goes into effect.

I can think of two situations that probably still end with a forced landing:
  • A headwind could prevent the AC from successfully exiting the TFR in time.
  • The drone might exit the TFR at a safe but distant location, with insufficient battery to RTH (and probably a TFR to skirt).

Reactions: sar104
Excellent stuff. Why not take it a step further?

I was thinking of a behavior modeled on the way battery strength triggers RTH. If the aircraft is within a pending TFR, it should keep a running calculation of the time needed to reach the nearest point on the perimeter of the TFR zone. If necessary, trigger a flight-to-safety so that the drone exits the TFR zone with, say, a minute to spare, and then treats the TFR as already active.

That would let the pilot continue the flight (respecting the TFR boundary) or RTH. If the home point is within the pending TFR, then force RTH exactly the same way, so that the drone is home and on the ground when the TFR goes into effect.

I can think of two situations that probably still end with a forced landing:
  • A headwind could prevent the AC from successfully exiting the TFR in time.
  • The drone might exit the TFR at a safe but distant location, with insufficient battery to RTH (and probably a TFR to skirt).
Simple RTH as suggested by @Greg6032 is best IMHO. Saves a drone, preserves the NFZ, and protects bystanders from suddenly dealing with a downing drone (like on a freeway while driving or at a backyard cookout).

Reactions: raylo32
Exactly. If you go back in this thread this was debated extensively. The only real issue with it is that it is against the current rules that apparently require immediate cessation of flight. While the difference between RTH and forced landing will likely be small, the landing will usually be faster. The rule is bad, IMO, and needs to be revisited.

Simple RTH as suggested by @Greg6032 is best IMHO. Saves a drone, preserves the NFZ, and protects bystanders from suddenly dealing with a downing drone (like on a freeway while driving or at a backyard cookout).

I can think of a scenario that would make a simple RTH problematic. What if the home point is deep in the NFZ.? Like right at the arena being protected (to use the reason for a NFZ in this example)? Even if it’s still a while before the game, an explosion could cause widespread panic.

Hi Guys

When I say we need advance warning and send drone to home 10-15 min before NFZ will become active
I mean it will help responsible pilots
prevent loosing drone from mistakes and also more safety for people around
But again we are talking about responsible pilots
Any of us before fly drone must check wether conditions and calculate flying time and distance
based on this info to make sure drone will be back, except hardware or software malfunction
But some times we see how people do crazy thinks with drones so in these cases everything may be useless
Again we must be RESPONSIBLE
PILOTS

Reactions: JoeDimwit
Hi Guys

When I say we need advance warning and send drone to home 10-15 min before NFZ will become active
I mean it will help responsible pilots
prevent loosing drone from mistakes and also more safety for people around
But again we are talking about responsible pilots
Any of us before fly drone must check wether conditions and calculate flying time and distance
based on this info to make sure drone will be back, except hardware or software malfunction
But some times we see how people do crazy thinks with drones so in these cases everything may be useless
Again we must be RESPONSIBLE
PILOTS

I do like the idea of an onscreen warning that “a temporary NFZ will exist at your location within the next [time period], check NOTAMS for your area for further information”. That said, I am pretty sure that manned craft pilots don’t rely on pop up messages about NFZ’s (temporary or otherwise),. We are piloting aircraft, if we want to be taken seriously, we need to act like it.

Still, what about the safety of the drone? Or the safety of my bank account not spending money on a new drone?

I do like the idea of an onscreen warning that “a temporary NFZ will exist at your location within the next [time period], check NOTAMS for your area for further information”. That said, I am pretty sure that manned craft pilots don’t rely on pop up messages about NFZ’s (temporary or otherwise),. We are piloting aircraft, if we want to be taken seriously, we need to act like it.
Of course they get advanced warnings and/or communication from air traffic control since these pilots don’t rely on a remote controller. What if the controlling device crashes? Still feel the safest for all is initiation of RTH at some interval before the TNFZ is enforced.

Reactions: Greg6032
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview