DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BEWARE Standard M3 Amazon buyers

For me, it comes down to the media the content will be played on.

Print: then anything over 200 dpi is pointless. Who uses printed photos these days? Nearly everyone uses a 1k or less phone for personal images. So even 4k is 4x overkill. And to do a billboard at 100dpi, you need gigapixels - so it just isn't what people strive for.

Video: Less than 45% of the US market owns 4k TVs. That percentage is growing, but the trend will continue to be 4k, and 8k is a niche. With content creators using a phone to edit (to which I said "Really?") - because why use 4k cameras if you edit and display on 1k devices? But back to media: where do people show off 4k video? How many people watch YouTube on a computer with a 4k monitor? Especially when only 35% of us own them. Yep, 50% of computers out there are HD 2k displays, the rest under 2k.

Actual Display Quality: When you ship data via YouTube, even 4k video, YouTube doesn't provide true 4k. The file is compressed, and the actual video data rate is woefully truncated. So capturing a 200Mb/s video stream is pointless if your target media is YouTube since the actual 4k data rate throughput is often well below 50Mb/s. And then consider it will still be played on a phone at 720p or a computer at 2k.

Sure, on YouTube demo reels I can get to 60Mb/s and a bit more sustained, but that's a contrived test case. Here's a typical drone capture footage being played from YouTube to my 4k monitor, it's barely using 10Mb/s.

So what good is 4k capture? Probably the same reason people bought 16mm film cameras instead of Super 8 film cameras; or 645 or 6x7 instead of 35. While a limited few know there is some inherent technical improvement, and have editing gear commensurate with the increased requirements it brings, for most it just sounds better over drinks on Friday night when meeting with friends.

Billboards are usually printed around 15 dpi. You don't need some crazy camera to make a photo that gets put on a billboard. Lots of people print their photos. Printing is one of the best parts of doing photography. Personally for me, I sell my prints. Selling my drone photos is a huge part of my business and I'll take any extra quality I can get especially in dynamic range and low light noise.

I used to think 4k - 8k was pointless until I realized that a good use for it is cropping. Imagine you have a final video that needs to be output in 1080p but you record in 5k.. that gives you a ton of room for cropping.

The hilarious part of all this hype is the M3 specs a 15km range, but that is only true with the RC Pro OS3.0 controller. The drone ships with a OS2.0 controller that only has a 10km range. lol. And people are falling all over themselves to buy the hype.
Thats a great point! I dont really care much for fancy cameras. I just love the range. Makes it easier to pass.

Interesting. Can you provide some links to articles about that? Would be useful info to consider. Thanks.
I think the reference is actually to the FCC not FAA. Back in Oct., FCC commissioner Carr tweeted about "commencing the process of adding DJI - a Chinese drone provider - to the FCC’s Covered List." The tweet is here:
It is way to early to say DJI drones will be outlawed. Further, it is unclear whether it would be retroactive to include drones that are already sold.

Is Carr the crazy one of the Commissioners? I know one of them is nuts...

Reactions: scoble08
DJI on Amazon is heavily pushing you for the Fly more combo. They changed the home page to only promote Fly more combo.

There is currently no way to find the standard drone package now. Even the search is only bringing up the fly more combo.

But I purchased the standard package yesterday and I have the link and it still is available. Indeed available sooner than Fly more.

BEWARE!

Reasons for buying standard M3 drone:
1. I don’t need that $300+ drone bag, I use my own camera bag and will buy a hardshell case
2. I don’t need 3 batteries. In a single place, I can get 70 mins of flight time with just 2 batteries and I don’t think I would ever need more than that. Assuming the battery can charge to at least 50% in 35 mins, I can get another 15-20 mins from the first battery if I put it in car charger when flying with the second. This is ample amount of flight time
3. I would really like the ND filters now, but I guess I have to wait for PolarPro to launch a set soon. DJI not selling ND filters now is another way they push you to buy Fly More combo
It just feels like you are spending less because you are buying the kit a bit at a time

It just feels like you are spending less because you are buying the kit a bit at a time
Definitely and I dont pay for things that I dont need.
Drone $2200
Battery $210
ND Filters $150 => probably much lesser with Freewell/PGYTech. Giving a $150 budget for PolarPro larger filter set
Hard Shell Case $150

$2710 and I could get another battery if I need.

$320 DJI is the worst thing that adds up the cost of the fly more bundle. I would literally never use that

I think the reference is actually to the FCC not FAA. Back in Oct., FCC commissioner Carr tweeted about "commencing the process of adding DJI - a Chinese drone provider - to the FCC’s Covered List." The tweet is here:
It is way to early to say DJI drones will be outlawed. Further, it is unclear whether it would be retroactive to include drones that are already sold.
Thank you, interesting read.

What doesn't affect us and is Panasonic policy: Federal funds will not be allowed to be used on DJI product. Extending this to any government agency seems to make sense; DJI can ground drones at will if the countries came to conflict

The assertions that DJI product can read temperature and heart rate seems like a huge stretch and perhaps at most plausible for Enterprise models with infrared Flir sensors; not what most users are flying.

That DJI Fly and DJI Go 4, on Android, have access to location (fine) and storage(potential issue) is a risk; I suggest not storing sensitive info on our devices unless it's in a secure partition or in encrypted files; not what's tickle done. This makes a strong security argument for using a Smart Controller or Dedicated device for the DJI stop needed to control our aircraft; BTW, many apps get storage permissions as it's needed to store files. I'm not a subject matter expert on how Android or iOS does it does not protect sensitive data; expectations are low.

As someone whose job is big data, over a billion http hits a day, the consumer data is massive to farm (the compute and storage needed to process this would be massive). I'm sure I've never filmed anything sensitive; likely the case for most on this forum. However, if your user email ends with a TLD (top level domain) of .gov, I'd imagine the data from that account would be most likely to be inspected.

Again, thanks for sharing. I was pessimistic about the claim at first, but it seems to have some merit w.r.t. government use and access to files intended to be private.

Did I miss a key excerpt or misinterpret anything?

...I don't want to make my Skydio my daily flyer and Autel is likely no different.

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
Definitely and I dont pay for things that I dont need.
Drone $2200
Battery $210
ND Filters $150 => probably much lesser with Freewell/PGYTech. Giving a $150 budget for PolarPro larger filter set
Hard Shell Case $150

$2710 and I could get another battery if I need.

$320 DJI is the worst thing that adds up the cost of the fly more bundle. I would literally never use that
Honestly it seems you will still spend about same as what the Fly More Combo costs. Imagine buying all the things in the Fly More Combo.
Drone $2,200
Battery (X2) $410
ND filters Polar Pro $150
Propellers (4 pairs) $80
Battery Charging hub $90
Premium hard case shell $200
TOTAL = $3,130! Plus tax.

Fly More Combo is $2,999, but it comes with the DJI bag that I do not like. I will get my FM Combo on Thursday. I plan to sell the bag for $250. I hope someone buys it. Then I will use the money to buy Nanuk hard case.

So you see you are not really saving much by buying all those different pieces.

On top of all this, I plan to order the RC-Pro. Now the total cost is taking me now into the price of the Cine version.

The people who get the Cine vision should ask DJI for the regular control so they can have 2 controls. So they can sell it if they do not need it. think it is their right to have it since the RC-Pro is just an added accessory to that package.

Reactions: bheiser1
Honestly it seems you will still spend about same as what the Fly More Combo costs. Imagine buying all the things in the Fly More Combo.
Drone $2,200
Battery (X2) $410
ND filters Polar Pro $150
Propellers (4 pairs) $80
Battery Charging hub $90
Premium hard case shell $200
TOTAL = $3,130! Plus tax.

Fly More Combo is $2,999, but it comes with the DJI bag that I do not like. I will get my FM Combo on Thursday. I plan to sell the bag for $250. I hope someone buys it. Then I will use the money to buy Nanuk hard case.

So you see you are not really saving much by buying all those different pieces.

On top of all this, I plan to order the RC-Pro. Now the total cost is taking me now into the price of the Cine version.

The people who get the Cine vision should ask DJI for the regular control so they can have 2 controls. So they can sell it if they do not need it. think it is their right to have it since the RC-Pro is just an added accessory to that package.
It’s jsut that it gives me more flexibility. Firstly I am only planning on a total of 2 batteries for nor. 35 mins on each should be more than enough for me. ND filters I will likely buy a larger set or PL set or VND set for the same cost as 4 from DJI. I still havent used the extra propellers I got with my Mavic Air 1 from 3 years back, so I wont be buying propellers and charging hub as well

Anyone who pays what DJI is asking for the Mavic 3 is an IDIOT!.... DJI is ripping people off....The basic price may not be that bad...But the cost of the fly more and Cine upgrade is way out of bounds!..
A boycott of DJI would send a message but we all know that won't happen because to many
" just have to have the Mavic 3" eventhough the quality of the
photos and video will not be much if ANY better than they are getting from their
Mavic Pro 2 or 2s....
I would put my photos / videos up aganist any shot with the
Mavic 3 and you would not ne able to see the difference.
Now I know some will say " this guy is jus complaining because he doesn't have the $$$$$ for the Mavic 3".....,I can assure you that is not the case...I just dont like being ripped off!
well said!

I don’t know who you are, or what your background or expertise is, but that’s OK. I’m no expert, just an enthusiast. I’m not claiming to be wiser than anyone here in the forum, but I’ll tell you this, I purchased the M3 but only after reading and listening to a lot… a lot, of very well respected and knowledgeable experts and professionals in the field, and the vast majority of their opinions on the M3 is quite different from yours. I’ll still listen to what you have to say, apply critical thinking to your opinion and then form my own. Not saying this is you, but I guess I just don’t understand the psychology of some people who want something, but can’t afford it, so then they trash the item. That may not apply to you, but surely to ‘some’ people. I really wonder about someone who goes around calling others idiots because their opinion is different from yours. What is that all about? Can’t you find the words to give an objective opinion without calling others idiots? I’ll respect your right to opine any way you choose so long as you respect my right to do the same, without being an idiot. Not a sermon … Jus sayin.’ Always fly safe and happy flying!
Well said . I don't think he can afford it either

I still havent used the extra propellers I got with my Mavic Air 1 from 3 years back
Exactly. What are people doing to need the 20 sets of propellers that the Fly More combos come with? Flying cheese grater? lol

My Air 2 has kissed a few branches and I still have the stock props that came on it and they look just fine.

I don't think Amazon is doing anything here. I suspect it's DJI fiddling around or standard policy based on back orders. You could still order it, but you had to dig harder.

All 3 could be ordered the first day. 2nd day only Combo and date was way out. So I ordered the Combo. I went to order State Farm insurance after a week or so (because date moved up) and went to get the invoice for them. I saw the base package was back and could be here in 2 days (this was 2 days ago). I just got it.

Now I need to hunt for a case, ugh.

I don't think Amazon is doing anything here. I suspect it's DJI fiddling around or standard policy based on back orders. You could still order it, but you had to dig harder.

All 3 could be ordered the first day. 2nd day only Combo and date was way out. So I ordered the Combo. I went to order State Farm insurance after a week or so (because date moved up) and went to get the invoice for them. I saw the base package was back and could be here in 2 days (this was 2 days ago). I just got it.

Now I need to hunt for a case, ugh.
in case you needed this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian