DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beyond Line of Sight (BVLOS) Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) Final Report

spudster

Reactions
Site
kuula.co
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. If I am wrong then delete or close this thread.

Might fit into this post?

Can I just check my understanding of 108.37 (b)?
To me that is saying every aircraft with people on board (the crew at least) that is below 500ft AGL and not near buildings and which DOES NOT have ADB-S etc. must give way to aircraft that do not have people on board (drones?).

That seems so daft to me that I am sure my understanding is incorrect but I do not see how it is incorrect.

To me that is saying every aircraft with people on board (the crew at least) that is below 500ft AGL and not near buildings and which DOES NOT have ADB-S etc. must give way to aircraft that do not have people on board (drones?).

That seems so daft to me that I am sure my understanding is incorrect but I do not see how it is incorrect.
Essentially yes. It is a significant change from current rules, but not necessarily daft. In fact it's arguably the best solution for integrating sUAS BVLOS and VLOS into low airspace.

108.37 Operation near aircraft; low altitude right-of-way rules
(a) Every uncrewed aircraft operating below 500’ AGL and away from structures, must yield the right of way to all aircraft, airborne vehicles, and launch and reentry vehicles equipped and broadcasting their position via ADS-B out or Traffic Awareness Beacon Systems (TABS). Yielding the right of way means that the small uncrewed aircraft must give way to the aircraft or vehicle and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless there is adequate separation.​
(b) Every crewed aircraft, airborne vehicle, and launch and reentry vehicle operating below 500’ AGL and away from structures, that is not equipped and broadcasting their position via ADS-B out or TABS must yield the right of way to all uncrewed aircraft. Yielding the right of way means that the crewed aircraft or vehicle must give way to the uncrewed aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless there is adequate separation.​
(c) Every uncrewed aircraft operating below 500’ AGL and within 100 feet of a structure has right of way over all other aircraft, airborne vehicles, and launch and reentry vehicles.​
(d) No person may operate an aircraft or an uncrewed aircraft in a manner that creates a collision hazard.​

These are just proposals.

The methodology is that a plane that low will be flying slow. As such they'll be able to see and avoid much better than a BVLOS UAS mission.

This is also further argument that manned aviation must have a hard 400' floor in all circumstances except landing and launching (ag and inspection notwithstanding).

If they're restricted to 500' and we have a 400' ceiling, then collisions would be theoretically removed from the conversation.

Reactions: DoomMeister
So they are really proposing that in such circumstances a manned aircraft give way to a drone? WOW!

What is "slow" to a plane at that height?
I assume we are not talking about passenger jets.
I know there are some bush planes that can almost lift off in a breeze and so could have near zero ground speeds but I'd have thought 30-40mph was the slow/low end of up-wind ground speed for most private monoplanes.

Last edited:
So they are really proposing that in such circumstances a manned aircraft give way to a drone? WOW!

A passenger jet isn't going to be under 500'. And if they are, a drone is the least of their worries.
I know there are some bush planes that can almost lift off in a breeze and so could have near zero ground speeds but I'd have thought 30-40mph was the slow/low end of up-wind ground speed for most private monoplanes.
If they're going 30-40MPH, they can see the drone and avoid.

Not any drone, only a drone that is putting out an ADB-S signal. A drone without equipment to send out an ADB-S signal would fall under all aircraft that did not have such equipment on board but that drone would be further required to avoid any crewed aircraft from surface to 400ft.

In the countryside, ultralight aircraft (crewed) fly at low altitudes frequently, I’m not sure what the regs are regarding the floor for ultralights. For VLOS u can hear them easily before u see them but for BVLOS, I’d think that would be an issue.

In the countryside, ultralight aircraft (crewed) fly at low altitudes frequently, I’m not sure what the regs are regarding the floor for ultralights. For VLOS u can hear them easily before u see them but for BVLOS, I’d think that would be an issue.
Ultralights are not allowed to fly outside of what GA aircraft are allowed to fly. All an ultralight allows is that the aircraft does not need to be registered and the pilot does not need a pilot's licence nor medical to fly it. With that said, almost all such fliers have received proper flight instructions before flying such a craft.

Now both ultralight and GA aircraft, when out in uncontrolled airspace away from anyone, can both fly as low to the ground as they wish but both must not fly over animals or people or building etc. when low to the ground. Same applies out over water for both types, as low as you like but avoid flying over and very close to people in the water and boats and floating structures. An ultralight though, must give way to any other type of flying machine, so they are the lowest on the totem pole in crewed aircraft and of course this was law before drones came on the scene. Drones must give way to all crewed flying machines, even ultralights.

Reactions: Torque
Essentially yes. It is a significant change from current rules, but not necessarily daft. In fact it's arguably the best solution for integrating sUAS BVLOS and VLOS into low airspace.
This makes sense to me. It's basically defining who has the right of way in different kinds of airspace,

If I'm reading this correctly, it says:

1) Drones below 500 ft AGL must yield to ADS-B crewed aircraft
2) Non-ADS-B crewed aircraft under 500 ft AGL must yield to drones

Is that a fair summary?

Thx,

TCS

Not any drone, only a drone that is putting out an ADB-S signal. A drone without equipment to send out an ADB-S signal would fall under all aircraft that did not have such equipment on board but that drone would be further required to avoid any crewed aircraft from surface to 400ft.
I must have missed something.

Can you provide a pointer to where it discusses ADB-equipped drones?

Thx,

TCS

In Canada GA must fly at 1000' or higher with the exception of TO & Lndg or low altitude training (500'). But it seems to me (haven't checked the regs) ultralights often fly lower than 500', just an observation. Helicopters also frequently fly at 500' for sight seeing in vacation areas. I expect these are a big issue for BVLOS.

Reactions: Dbez1
Not under (c).

Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) comes in two forms (generally speaking) IN and IN &OUT.
most drones come in the form ABSB- IN whereas most crewed airplanes are equipped with ABSB-IN & OUT. (Ie they receive and transmit information). In Canada drones can only use IN. Obviously if you have a SFOC then IN & OUT maybe possible.

Not under (c).
Right but I was assuming everyone would understand that any aircraft that was that close to a structure should be given a wide berth. And most crewed aircraft would not be flying that close to a structure anyway, unless possibly working around it.

Last edited:
I must have missed something.

Can you provide a pointer to where it discusses ADB-equipped drones?

Thx,

TCS
I was thinking of where is stated a non ADB-S aircraft had to give way to those with ADB-S, as some drones have that. With that said, it seems it is only ADB-S In and not out also. Therefore, it is once again, for me, complicated as to who would have right of way where, if the new rules were to be adopted. That's due to the fact that it has always been that the drone is at the bottom of the totem pole and has had to give way always, to any crewed aircraft.

C is interesting because living in a city where helicopters are occasionally used in construction, heavy lifting beams or even AC units, we do see crewed aircraft very close, well within 100' of buildings and definite not in a position to avoid an Amazon delivery drone.

Looks like an backunderhanded way to get all crewed aircraft to install ADS hardware and start transmitting.

Reactions: Korrd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13