DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beyond VLOS ! what is it going to take?

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I recently had some clients ask me to make the Wet Suit for the Matrice 30 and quickly realized how Extensive the Back Up Plans were on this drone.
I was originally thinking with the RID and some built in Lighting System on the Mavic Series drones might reach BVLOS at some point an was hopeful

But now I have a better idea as to what its really going to take to get there in the DJI Fleet and the Mavic Series will have to have some elements of this.

2023-06-07_13h55_31.png2023-06-07_13h55_22.png2023-06-07_13h55_12.png
We also have the ADS- B Transponders to signal a Position in the sky for drone pilots to be aware but not for pilots to be aware of drones.

See the Size of a ADS-B Transponder Unit range from $300 to $800 and comes with software for maps, weather , smoke and Co 2 and G force and Position signal but its not mandatory purchase an some features only work in the EU are mostly battery operated and have to be turned on.
2023-06-10_13h05_20.png

A look at DJI Matrice 30 series' redundancy report

three-motor emergency landing mode
dual battery design
dual barometers
dual RTK antennas
dual GNSS modules
dual compass
dual RTK modules
Six pairs of vision sensors
Four Transmission antennas
dual controller mode
The only thing that was not dual on the Matrice was the DJI's AirSene technology module

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Last edited:
How could a pilot flying beyond VLOS be aware of an aircraft approaching without ADSB? I must be missing something basic in what you're thinking?

Reactions: Gagey52
I thnk the "three-motor emergency landing mode" would be a very sensible addition to all quad copters but it would probably require that that the props are locked in situ and can not come undone when driven in reverse and undergoing the appropriate accelerations - I think those accerleration would probably be quite severe.

Last edited:
while all the wonderful redundancy features are a welcome addition ,you omitted to mention the IP rating by the way ,this is a very expensive commercial drone ,way beyond the pockets of the average hobby flyer, and has very specific pilot qualifications ,to enable it to be flown,and because of this it has to fulfill many of the requirements of a manned aircraft, with regards to duel systems, in the event of a component failure during flight

lol Of course I was aware of the IP rating on the Matrice , but I have seen the tests very similar to a bunch of squirt guns pointing at the drone at different angles.

I think pilots realize that a full blown Rain storm is quite different than the IP test and even the Matrice 30 Needs some Extra Protection as the Wet Suit entire Focus is to protect the Weak Links of the drone as well as protect the Sensors..

The IP rating is a good start but many of us learned our lesson on the Iphone being able to work under water. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
I think I wasn't clear. What I mean is, assuming you even had a dual module for fail over, if you're BVLOS, how would you avoid an aircraft approaching without it broadcasting ADSB?
Ok your saying if the Air Plane doe not have the System built in .

Its a valid question, but I think it is being addressed as more planes are being required to have something.
As far as I can tell , I have only encountered one incident of winged motor man that was flying over the lake that caught me off guard, so he needs one.

Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
Reactions: Dangerly
There is a commenting period right now.

Yes this is still in focus :

As the FAA is contemplating operations beyond visual line of sight, the FAA is considering allowing operators to declare that they are utilizing DAA systems that meet the DAA standard(s) referenced above.

Phantomrain.org

Ok your saying if the Air Plane doe not have the System built in .

Its a valid question, but I think it is being addressed as more planes are being required to have something.
As far as I can tell , I have only encountered one incident of winged motor man that was flying over the lake that caught me off guard, so he needs one.

Phantomrain.org
I've encountered way too many Coast Guard helicopters flying below 500 feet without ADSB and so I'm wondering how the drone pilot could avoid a crash if they don't see the helicopter coming beyond VLOS? Others have had issues with crop duster planes, police helicopters, hang gliders, and other aircraft that "come out of nowhere" despite all the situational awareness you can muster.

Reactions: EugenioB
I've encountered way too many Coast Guard helicopters flying below 500 feet without ADSB and so I'm wondering how the drone pilot could avoid a crash if they don't see the helicopter coming beyond VLOS? Others have had issues with crop duster planes, police helicopters, hang gliders, and other aircraft that "come out of nowhere" despite all the situational awareness you can muster.
Yeah I see plenty.

Attachments

• SCSD 1.jpg
    SCSD 1.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 23
Seems odd to me that the oweness for flight safety rests on the shoulders of drone pilots. In my opinion, every single vehicle flying in the air should be broadcasting their presence so that the proper evasive actions could be taken.

I too have run into situations where an aircraft came flying by super low out of nowhere or where an ultralight enters the airspace but is so quiet that you don’t notice until they’re directly over top of you.

We can’t enter their airspace but they can enter ours. They should, at the very least, be required to announce their presence.

Reactions: Gagey52
Seems odd to me that the oweness for flight safety rests on the shoulders of drone pilots. In my opinion, every single vehicle flying in the air should be broadcasting their presence so that the proper evasive actions could be taken.

I too have run into situations where an aircraft came flying by super low out of nowhere or where an ultralight enters the airspace but is so quiet that you don’t notice until they’re directly over top of you.

We can’t enter their airspace but they can enter ours. They should, at the very least, be required to announce their presence.
Difference between manned and unmanned aircraft I suspect.

Reactions: rwilliam99

They have responsibility although probably not nearly as much as we do, unfortunately. I'm going to say this and I'll probably get some pushback but if i were a police helicopter and I saw a drone even in a place where it should be, why would take evasive measure that would put me in any danger if I saw a mini on my scene and didn't think the impending collision would bring me down?

They have responsibility although probably not nearly as much as we do, unfortunately. I'm going to say this and I'll probably get some pushback but if i were a police helicopter and I saw a drone even in a place where it should be, why would take evasive measure that would put me in any danger if I saw a mini on my scene and didn't think the impending collision would bring me down?
Remember these police type guys will be the faas manpower for enforcing some screwy drone laws.

but if i were a police helicopter and I saw a drone even in a place where it should be, why would take evasive measure that would put me in any danger if I saw a mini on my scene and didn't think the impending collision would bring me down?
In normal flight i.e. not in landing or take off etc., what avoidance action could such a pilot of manned aircraft take that would threaten the safety of their aircraft?
In the time actually available to such a pilot of a manned aircraft, would they have the time to decide that a collision was no threat to the safety of their aircraft? I doubt it but if so, I suspect they would have had the time to take 'safe' avoidance action.
Besides
1) where, on a small aircraft, could it take an impact that the pilot could be certain posed no threat to the aircraft?
2) An impact could cause injury to someone on board.
3) Virtually any such impact is going to cause damage that is going to be expensive to inspect and or repair.

Dual redundancy isnt ideal. Its ok if one system has total shutdown, but if its just sending incorrect info, how does the system know which sensor is correct and which is incorrect. They need to move into triple redundancy if they want to be serious

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas