DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Joymaker

Reactions
I recently borrowed a friend's iPad Air, so that I could have a "drone party" and show several friends at once the delights of flying my drone over my beautiful land. I REALLY LIKE having a screen that big. You can see so much beautiful detail! Including the twigs on bare trees, that you need to be avoiding!

This iPad, with 9.7” diagonal screen, is way too big for the gripper on the Mavic controller. My solution? I set it on a music stand! And held the controller, with 1 foot cable, below or beside it. If I decided to buy an iPad this big, I would probably 3-D print some kind of rack that holds it ABOVE the controller, tilted up at an angle.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same way I do, and chooses to fly with a big screen. What solutions have you found for positioning and handling?

Reactions: Akoztha
Just FYI, there are dozens of options around for different methods of mounting your iPad to the RC. Just do a search on this forum or on Amazon.

But if you like the display improvement you experienced by seeing the mavic on the iPad 9.7, just borrow someone's DJI Goggles for 2 minutes - a whole new world. Talk about beautiful detail and immersion. It's like flying your mavic while standing 3 feet in front of an 80 inch 4K TV set. And you can move the camera just by turning your head and looking around/up/down.

Prepare to have your mind blown....

First you'll be like....
giphy.gif

... then you'll be like...
giphy.gif

Bunch of options online; but honestly, with a big screen like that, I don't even go outside the car.
All the flying I do is sitting in my car.
Now, next level should be DJI Goggles like TrayBoz mentioned.
If you can afford that, then go for the moon.

Last edited:
Here is the one I use with my Samsung Tablet. I am a newer Mavic pilot so I like being able to glance at the controller. This one doesn't block the front of the controller.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 54
The best holder for DJI Mavic Pro made in Norway | Thor's Drone World

Does anyone know:
Will the LifThor V3 holder work with a range extender?
Thinking about a Titan Control, Titan Cyclone, 4Hawks or something similar. It doesn't look like there is enough clearance between the RC body and the arm for the iPad Air 2.

Last edited:
Does anyone know:
Will the LifThor V3 holder work with a range extender?
Thinking about a Titan Control, Titan Cyclone, 4Hawks or something similar. It doesn't look like there is enough clearance between the RC body and the arm for the iPad Air 2.
I dont see why not if it goes into remote arms....i use the pp mount for my s8+ and have a 4hawks works great... so if I had a tablet yes I would probably try the lifthor....oh i still have all 3 rotation options for my 4hawks antenna....so thats cool

Attachments

• 20180309_100232.jpg
    20180309_100232.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 33
I really like the form factor of using a phone, keeps everything small, and I have no problems using my iPhone 7+, definitely big enough. But IF I were to go to an iPad, I'd go with something like the F Stop labs tablet holder.

Got my Mavmount 3 yesterday - really nice looking mount. Haven't flown with my iPad Air 2 yet, but it feels very balanced when fixed in place. I did opt for the lanyard as well, thought it would just be more comfortable with the extra weight of the iPad. I suspect that I will need to get a screen hood, but I'll report back when I've been for a flight.

I recently borrowed a friend's iPad Air, so that I could have a "drone party" and show several friends at once the delights of flying my drone over my beautiful land. I REALLY LIKE having a screen that big. You can see so much beautiful detail! Including the twigs on bare trees, that you need to be avoiding!

This iPad, with 9.7” diagonal screen, is way too big for the gripper on the Mavic controller. My solution? I set it on a music stand! And held the controller, with 1 foot cable, below or beside it. If I decided to buy an iPad this big, I would probably 3-D print some kind of rack that holds it ABOVE the controller, tilted up at an angle.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same way I do, and chooses to fly with a big screen. What solutions have you found for positioning and handling?

I think this thread is a good one, but could you edit your original title to add "Mount" - it would help people when using the search function

I just got a variation on the PGYTECH one that msinger posted above - better than i expected (was a cheaper imitation), is very sturdy/solid, and seems to work really well. A standard iPad is almost too big - might see if i can swap it for a Mini.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu